+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Calmac fiasco

Another Calmac fiasco

There is currently another Calmac ferry fiasco on the island of Islay. The elderly Calmac ferry the MV Hebridean Isles which previously crashed into the pier at Kennacraig in July 2016 is at it again.
    The MV Hebridean Isles which has been operating on the Kennacraig to Islay route was withdrawn from service last Saturday as a result of damage to its hull. https://www.calmac.co.uk/service-status?route=09
    It was reported on the Calmac website last Saturday evening that divers would be inspecting the damage when the ferry arrived at Kennacraig after sailing back from Port Askaig on Islay.
    Early this afternoon my wife and I were shopping in the Co-op supermarket in Bowmore which was like ‘old Mother Hubbard’s cupboard’. The fruit and vegetables, butcher meat and chicken shelves were almost bare with next to nothing to purchase. According to the staff in the Bowmore Co-op they received a small order today and they do not know if they will receive a big order tomorrow. What a hopeless way to run a business.
    Worse than this. I might not be able to attend the Dundee v St Johnstone League Cup tie on Wednesday 22nd September as I am booked onto the 7.00am sailing from Port Ellen to Kennacraig on Monday 20th September sailing on the MV Hebridean Isles.
    Visitors on Islay who had been booked to return on the MV Hebridean Isles sailings since it was taken out of service are now stranded on Islay and I cannot see them returning for another holiday on Islay with such a clapped out and unreliable Scottish Government owned Calmac ferry service.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 13-09-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Just wow
    If you were on holiday on Islay and trying to get home you might change your views.
    As usual there has been another cover up by Transport Scotland as there has not been any mention about it in the media.
    The Scottish Government does not want any more bad news about their ferries to be published especially with current new Calmac ferries fiasco at Ferguson’s Shipyard with the ferries being years late in delivery.

They’ll need to call in the RAF to air lift them, Deeranged might lend a hand

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    They’ll need to call in the RAF to air lift them, Deeranged might lend a hand
    The RAF will need large transport planes to carry all the vehicles stranded on Islay. The runway at Islay Airport is not long enough for these transport planes to land and take off.

Get the Navy in then

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Get the Navy in then
    The navy ships would run aground prior to reaching pier at Kennacraig. They would also have to be less than 90 metres long otherwise they would not be able to berth at the piers at Port Askaig and Port Ellen on Islay plus the pier at Kennacraig.
    Today it has been announced that two new ferries are going to be built for the Kennacraig to Islay route. What this CMAL press release failed to mention is that the new ferries are too long, too wide and too deep to berth at any of the piers used on the Kennacraig to Islay route plus sailings to Colonsay. This will result in £16.4 Million (2021 prices) having to be spent to alter the piers to be able to allow the new ferries to safely berth at the piers. Who is paying for this. The taxpayer of course.
    When will this work be carried out. The work at the piers will probably be finished years after the new Islay ferries are built and ready to go into service.
    The maximum passenger capacity on the new ferries is to be 350 passengers which is 200 less than the main ferry on the route the MV Finlaggan.(Source 2nd Islay virtual ferry meeting). The CMAL and Calmac bosses do not think this will be a problem but if more visitors decide to travel to Islay as foot passengers instead of taking their car there is a danger that foot passengers including local Islay residents could be told that their ferry is full and they will have to wait for the next ferry assuming that it is not the last sailing of the day.

I can't believe what I'm reading

This place is incredible ha it just gets worse and worse , it’s so bad I need to peek in once a week to see what ****e is getting posted now

Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    This place is incredible ha it just gets worse and worse , it’s so bad I need to peek in once a week to see what ****e is getting posted now
    Zzzx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)