+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Manadement - we can't do it

Game Manadement - we can't do it

Third game on the trot. We score first and then try to game mangage and three times we have failed. We go and play ok then just stop playing our successful start. Again I notice again one of the goals came through Charie Taylor. Dont gey me wrong I like Charie Taylor but if we concede 4 goals then something is wrong - maybe being left exposed. We also conceded when Woods was out of marking position but that should have been Ben Mee's position but he was not in the picture. Finally why is Lennon getting on before others on the bench

If we could stop runners attacking our goal and scoring from thirty yards would certainly help.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    Third game on the trot. We score first and then try to game mangage and three times we have failed. We go and play ok then just stop playing our successful start. Again I notice again one of the goals came through Charie Taylor. Dont gey me wrong I like Charie Taylor but if we concede 4 goals then something is wrong - maybe being left exposed. We also conceded when Woods was out of marking position but that should have been Ben Mee's position but he was not in the picture. Finally why is Lennon getting on before others on the bench
    Totally agree Lancaster.
    Our current tactics initially are to get the ball out to the wide men and for them to pump crosses into the box. Unfortunately at present we appear to have non scoring strikers.
    If we do score usually through the centre backs from set pieces then we try to defend that lead.
    Well if that is the way we want to play then I suggest, rather tongue in cheek, after scoring the goal before play is restarted then make two substitutes, bring on Bardsley at right back moving Lowton into mid-field and Peters into midfield. Who to take off well Barnes & JBG would be the obvious choices. If we are going to park the bus then do it properly. We can still hoof the ball up to Wood.

We need a defensive midfielder.

New line-up: 4-1-3-2.
    Pope (of course!)
    Roberts, Collins, Mee, Taylor,
    Tarkowski,
    McNeil, Westwood, Cornet,
    Wood, Vydra.
    Might stop some and score some!

Do defenders make good managers? SD does seem to make defending the priority and shutting up shop to defend a 1-0 lead. Southgate as England manager is cautious and tends to do the same. Big Sam was a defender, I believe, and put defence ahead of everything else. I know the quality of player makes a difference, but compare that with Ole Gunnar at Manchester Ronaldo, Viera at Palace, Guardiola at Man City. Admittedly Tuchel was a defender. He has tightened up Chelsea at the back but is looking for attacking football.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We need a defensive midfielder.

New line-up: 4-1-3-2.
    Pope (of course!)
    Roberts, Collins, Mee, Taylor,
    Tarkowski,
    McNeil, Westwood, Cornet,
    Wood, Vydra.
    Might stop some and score some!
    Looks more exciting than what we are seeing at the moment. The deadwood should be moved on, any funds used to bring in new, younger blood and youth given a chance. Pace and enthusiasm would give us a better chance. Some of the current squad simply cannot move their wheelchairs fast enough to keep up.

I would not have a problem with Joey Barton as manager. I think he could bring something to the team, like he did when he played for us. His drive, vision, ruthlessness and experience would help, I believe. Things will not change if we only look to recruit players who play the “Burnley/SD way”. That just perpetuates the status quo whilst all around us improve year on year. We may as well recruit from the National League. Plenty of players at that level know how to hoof the ball forwards if we continue in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Looks more exciting than what we are seeing at the moment. The deadwood should be moved on, any funds used to bring in new, younger blood and youth given a chance. Pace and enthusiasm would give us a better chance. Some of the current squad simply cannot move their wheelchairs fast enough to keep up.
    I don’t think as it stands we’re capable of changing to a formation like BT suggests a lot because as you say we’re so lacking in pace and heart if I’m honest - I can’t say I like the football we play a lot of the time but I don’t have a problem with it if the manager just reacts to changes and stops the opposition from gaining momentum when they change shape.

I think maybe it’s time to start and introduce some of the youths for shorter periods in games and see if we can maybe be lucky with one or two.

'Attack is the best form of defence.' As I have said before we actually look good when we attack teams and take them on. If the ball is in the oppositions half they are less likely to score. All this deep defending of a 1-0 lead is absolute nonsense and doesn't work for us, sooner or later the other team as we repeatedly witness are going to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Totally agree Lancaster.
    Our current tactics initially are to get the ball out to the wide men and for them to pump crosses into the box. Unfortunately at present we appear to have non scoring strikers.
    If we do score usually through the centre backs from set pieces then we try to defend that lead.
    Well if that is the way we want to play then I suggest, rather tongue in cheek, after scoring the goal before play is restarted then make two substitutes, bring on Bardsley at right back moving Lowton into mid-field and Peters into midfield. Who to take off well Barnes & JBG would be the obvious choices. If we are going to park the bus then do it properly. We can still hoof the ball up to Wood.
    and just a left wing.. so bad is the right McNeil even comes across some times, Gudjonsson is the master of the backward pass. and Lennon - joke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)