+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maidenhead Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    Harsh maybe but if you look at our history, stadium, owners and squad depth we really shouldn't be struggling against these teams. I'll grant that Wrexham, Chessie, Grimsby etc. could be a challenge and that's saying something from where we've come but IF we believe we are promotion candidates then we just have to put these minor teams to the sword. No excuses for me. If they aren't doing it they are underachieving and anyone expecting less has lowered their sights.
    I'd say that Chesterfield, Wrexham, Grimsby etc rather than 'could be a challenge' are very similar to us in terms of attendances and budgets (Wrexham's obviously bigger now) and are clubs we've competed with on and off for the last couple of decades.

I agree that we should be beating teams like Wealdstone, Weymouth and Maidstone - I just don't agree that we should say things like 'we'd better give Maidstone a pasting or something's wrong'.

That doesn't mean I have lowered my expectations, it just means that however we play we just need to win and get to the end of this run of winnable fixtures with a healthy points tally.

It's not about being harsh, it's about expectations. It's the difference between automatic promotion and the playoffs. There have been valid reasons why we've fallen short the last two years. The aim this season should be 1st place. There's no point starting this season with aspirations of finishing 3rd.

The hope is 1st but who honestly expects us to win the league no problem when you've got Chesterfield and Wrexham who have spent more, there's Stockport and Grimsby as well who are meant to be up there. Bloody hell even Man City don't expect to win the league, they hope they will but it's all relative, they have competition that won't roll over and so do we. We're in a great position and I believe we'll only improve with more training and tactical input from IB. Then there's the window in Jan we've kept abit back for incase we need it. We're in a good position, people are sounding like real prawn sandwichs.

Sandwiches even.

If we win Saturday then that's 7 points from 9 with the draw being the away game. This is a good return and will stand us in good stead over the course of the season. I also think sometimes you raise your game against the top teams and it's hard to get going against the supposed lesser ones as maybe the start last night demonstrated. IB says we need to work alot harder to get the ball back so that should improve or the players will get dropped as IB isn't messing about. There's alot of carping on for not much reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts_Popular_Front View Post
    It's not about being harsh, it's about expectations. It's the difference between automatic promotion and the playoffs. There have been valid reasons why we've fallen short the last two years. The aim this season should be 1st place. There's no point starting this season with aspirations of finishing 3rd.
    I don't think anyone around the club has aspirations of finishing 3rd.

Games like last night are all about the 3 points which we took whilst playing below our best. I'll take that. The entertainment being offered at the moment is streets ahead of the style of play being offered up by the previous incumbent which should help get and keep bums on seats which is crucial for Notts to succeed longer-term.

It should be a decent time to be a Notts fan (admittedly in the 5th tier which is a ****e state of affairs but nothing to do with the current management and owners) although you would not know it reading some of the comments on here.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    No one's saying they're better than Notts though are they and we should have won at Weymouth on chances created and we won last night. I'm saying if people expect us to pump these teams every time and also expect us to play amazing for 90 mins then they're dreaming and not being realistic about our players and the other teams.
    Agree

We all know we had a bad day at the office last night but ultimately we still walked away with all three points.

I've just been through the wyscout stats for the game and if we should have won away at Weymouth then we shouldn't have won last night. Thing is we did, and have the capacity to to improve massively. Wealdstone and Weymouth, whilst both a credit to themselves in the way they applied themselves are maybe close to performing at their best. I would suggest this is because they don't have the strength in depth ourselves and clubs like Chesterfield, Grimsby, Wrexham and Stockport do. Over the course of a season this is why the tables tend to work out the way they do.

We saw with Torquay last season that their amazing run over the first two thirds of the season just wasn't sustainable, a couple of injuries to key players and they soon got caught. Same with Wrexham, they were just getting into a rich vein of form for the run in and the day before they played us at ML they lost Kwame Thomas to injury and that essentially halted their progress.

I know I'm repeating myself but despite some of the errors we saw last night we are playing nowhere near our full potential and yet we are 5th in the league, unbeaten in 6 games and 2nd in the goals scored table. We are on a journey, there will be up's and down's and we have no right to roll anyone over because we are "Notts County", I just find that kind of attitude is a little disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    Stadium = big support, look at our gate figures
    Owners = budget and scouting resources
    History = pride

I suggest all affect the team. They should carry that with enthusiasm
    Sunderland supporters must have been saying
    the same the last few seasons.

When I say the fixture list has been kind, I don’t mean because it’s ‘only’ the likes of Weymouth and Wealdstone, it’s because we’ve played 4 out of the bottom 7 and probably only 1 side who’ll finish in the top 7.

Good news though, time to get things organised before the tougher tests arrive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast