+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley Blown Away At Goodison.

Burnley Blown Away At Goodison.

A mad second half seven minutes left the Clarets in the relegation zone. Burnley look to be in for a long season. - External Link

It is a sobering and inescapable fact that Burnley have led in three of the four Premier League matches they have played this season and have not gone on to win any of them.

Despite some good passages of play in all of their matches, it is ultimately the points column on the table which defines how good or bad a team is and right now, the Clarets have accrued just one.

At Goodison Park on Monday night, Burnley assumed control of the match throughout the first half and into the second; those home supporters who were not grumpily silent were venting increasing irritation as the Clarets pressed forward.

A wickedly curling Dwight McNeil cross early in the game grazed Chris Wood’s forehead when the striker should probably have made firmer contact and given Burnley the lead; later a melee from a corner almost resulted in a goal for Ben Mee and might have given cause for a penalty as James Tarkowski was bundled to the ground as the corner was launched.

Josh Brownhill shot directly into Jordan Pickford’s grateful arms when he might have angled his effort beyond the Everton keeper; but although the first half ended goalless, Burnley, and Sean Dyche, had every reason to feel satisfied.

It was no surprise therefore when another teasing cross – this time from Johann Berg Gudmundsson – was met by Ben Mee’s firm header to put Burnley a goal up. Three points looked there for the taking.

But a moment of defensive slackness allowed former Claret Michael Keane enough space and time to head in an equaliser on the hour and ushered in seven minutes of total Burnley collapse in which the game was put emphatically beyond them.

First, Andros Townsend, a gifted player whose career has been illuminated by a number of spectacular long-range goals, unleashed another after Burnley had backed off him sufficiently to invite the shot. Then moments later, Demarai Gray found only open pasture between him and Nick Pope’s goal, his assured finish made it three one.

Had not Doucoure been flagged for offside and Andre Gomes missed a sitter, then the final score might have been even more embarrassing than was the eventual 3-1 result.

All defeats hurt, but this one was particularly alarming for the manner in which Burnley surrendered the lead and the initiative in a game they had under their control. Alarming too for the fact that Sean Dyche was out-manoeuvred and out-coached by Rafa Benitez.

The Everton manager made a tactical switch with the score at 1-1, introducing Gomes and tweaking his formation. Neither Dyche, nor his players were able to respond to the switch and the results were immediate.

I yield to no one in my admiration of Dyche and the work he has done at Burnley, but his reticence to make changes beyond like-for-like switches to relieve tiring limbs and make tactical adjustments whilst the game was in progress was shown in a harsh light in comparison to the intuitive and decisive Benitez.

Burnley are capable of much better than their results are currently showing. I hope I am wrong, but the current run of results, highlighted by the previously referred to tendency to relinquish winning positions, hints at a comfort zone in which some players and maybe the manager are currently dwelling.

Comfort zones are no place in which to linger if the aim is to remain in the Premier League. Burnley need to rediscover their sense of purpose, their intensity and their sheer bloody-mindedness.

Dave Thornley reflects on a miserable second half defensive performance from the Clarets. If Burnley are to retain their English Premier League status this season, much improvement is needed. (TEC.)

Attachment 19928

" Alarming too for the fact that Sean Dyche was out-manoeuvred and out-coached by Rafa Benitez."

"the intuitive and decisive Benitez."

I was watching the Sky Preview to the game, Neville and Carragher both said that, in order to combat the way Burnley play, and the loss of Calvert-Lewin, Benitez had tweaked the system, he was going to play 3-4-3, which demonstrated just what a tactically astute and innovative manager he was. Such an astute manager that for 60 minutes Burnley dominated the game and his team was lucky that they weren't 3-0 down by that stage. He did nothing about the debacle, which from Everton's point of view it was, until 60 minutes in, I'm still wondering why he didn't change it at half-time, did it really take this tactical genius an hour to see his team was a shambles and his tactics weren't working. When he finally brought Gomes on for Godfrey on 61 minutes, my thoughts weren't 'Wow, I'm watching a tactical genius at work here'. They were, 'What took you so long to see the bleedin obvious'.

Unfortunately Dyche didn't have the option of bringing on an ex Benfica, Valencia and Barca, experienced Portuguese international, our finances have lumbered him with Aaron Lennon, so Rafa's players got him out of jail, and he apparently out-coached and out-thought Sean Dyche. Well, that's one opinion, but that wasn't the game I saw.
    Last edited by sinkov; 15-09-2021 at 01:21 PM.

sinkov --I agree. It all boils down to the fact that we are not scoring goals from the chances created when we are on top.
    All three games we have lost we should have been further ahead but we weren't and as I said at half time in the Everton game the missed chances could well come back to bite us.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)