+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roberts

If I had to guess I’d say Barnsley wouldn’t be a bad shout for him. Decent Championship club, closer to home, they have a good recruitment history….he’ll be in the radar of a quite a few by now I imagine. May be crazy but perhaps Newcastle have always kept tabs on him…they could need championship calibre players soon!

Getting carried away, if he does leave for a ‘decent’ fee we could strengthen by buying a proper established beast of a midfielder to play alongside Francis/Vincent/O’Brien and someone like that Belgian lad from Weymouth. We could then play a 4-2-3-1 and move Palmer into the CAM position with Rodrigues and one more beside him behind Wootton.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    If I had to guess I’d say Barnsley wouldn’t be a bad shout for him. Decent Championship club, closer to home, they have a good recruitment history….he’ll be in the radar of a quite a few by now I imagine. May be crazy but perhaps Newcastle have always kept tabs on him…they could need championship calibre players soon!
    Apropos of Barnsley, William Hondermark came on for them last night. Done alright for himself.

Can anyone tell me why they think we’re skint? Have the bro’s indicated at any time that we have to count the pennies? Just because we’re not signing every big name mentioned on here it doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t afford him, there are other considerations.

I'm not sure anyone thinks we are skint.

I believe it was Gump who questioned the amount of money they do or don't have which is reasonable seeing as they are very private and it's a bit of mystery but can't remember anyone going further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez1862 View Post
    He doesn't have that much longer left on his contract. End of next season, I believe.

He'll be gone next summer and I don't think any Notts fan will begrudge him a move to a club in a higher division - its just down to the club to negotiate a good deal and sell on clause.
    Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I'm not sure anyone thinks we are skint.

I believe it was Gump who questioned the amount of money they do or don't have which is reasonable seeing as they are very private and it's a bit of mystery but can't remember anyone going further than that.
    Agee they haven’t, clearly trying to run the club properly and trying to make us sustainable with the Brentford model. Think though I heard the other week when listening to Simon Jordan that Brentford’s owner has actually had to put loads of money in. I guess when you get to the championship the wages are astronomical compared to lower down without the huge tv money of the premier, but at least it paid off for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Apropos of Barnsley, William Hondermark came on for them last night. Done alright for himself.
    Would suggest our recruitment teams are looking at similar criteria…

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The most encouraging thing about the current recruitment at the club is that for the first time in as long as I can remember we have a competitive squad and every one of them is a Notts County asset. No loaners, no pay by match and of career player, just 100% Notts County. That in itself is hugely encouraging.
    I’ve had this thought. Genuinely can’t recall the last player we had who left mid contract for ‘better’ things? (Youth players aside of course). Arguably we have 3 or 4 this could apply to now. Answers on a post card…

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Can anyone tell me why they think we’re skint? Have the bro’s indicated at any time that we have to count the pennies? Just because we’re not signing every big name mentioned on here it doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t afford him, there are other considerations.
    I don't think we are skint but I believe it's the model the brothers are working towards. You find a gem, sell him on and go find another Gem rinse and repeat. The money earned this way can be reinvested into the club and soften the amount of money the brothers have to keep investing into the club to keep it running. They have a tool in radar in which they have faith in.
    If they attempt to keep Cal it could mean investing over the odds in wages (or losing him for free) and instead of being a valuable asset he could become a drain on finances.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I don't think we are skint but I believe it's the model the brothers are working towards. You find a gem, sell him on and go find another Gem rinse and repeat. The money earned this way can be reinvested into the club and soften the amount of money the brothers have to keep investing into the club to keep it running. They have a tool in radar in which they have faith in.
    If they attempt to keep Cal it could mean investing over the odds in wages (or losing him for free) and instead of being a valuable asset he could become a drain on finances.
    Exactly this. If we can become a club that generates profits through investing in quality young players, and repeating it over time after we sell them on, that would be a model that gives us a viable future, no matter what league we’re in.

Of course it will be disappointing to lose players to bigger clubs, but that’s football. I’m just happy we’re getting to see the likes of Cal and Ruben in a Notts shirt.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast