+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roberts

Roberts

Another great display by Roberts last night, barring his defensive duties, and it was actually good that he had to walk around the pitch when he got subbed so he could receive the applause he got. I’m just wondering now how long are we going to realistically keep hold of him.

I’m not sure on his contract but I assume it runs out next year, so if he has 10-15 goals by Christmas will we cash in if an offer comes in around the 300-500k region? I’m pretty sure someone from league one like Sunderland (in his native North East) or a championship club could take a punt on him.

Obviously I hope he doesn’t leave but I doubt he will want to stick around much longer in the National League if we don’t go up…perhaps even if we do. I think 500k, with the recruitment history under these owners, would go a long way to building an even stronger squad for next season.

Thoughts?

He’s under contract until 2023, so we’re well protected there. Whatever happens with us this season, I think the chances of him staying beyond the end of this season are basically non-existent if he stays fit. He’s playing at least two leagues below where he could.

Hopefully we’ve already had that conversation with him - give us a full season this year and we won’t stand in your way next summer.

Wootton is a more pressing contract issue because his does run out next summer. We should be trying to tie him down to a new one as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Another great display by Roberts last night, barring his defensive duties, and it was actually good that he had to walk around the pitch when he got subbed so he could receive the applause he got. I’m just wondering now how long are we going to realistically keep hold of him.

I’m not sure on his contract but I assume it runs out next year, so if he has 10-15 goals by Christmas will we cash in if an offer comes in around the 300-500k region? I’m pretty sure someone from league one like Sunderland (in his native North East) or a championship club could take a punt on him.

Obviously I hope he doesn’t leave but I doubt he will want to stick around much longer in the National League if we don’t go up…perhaps even if we do. I think 500k, with the recruitment history under these owners, would go a long way to building an even stronger squad for next season.

Thoughts?
    I had the same thoughts early on last night....he does look exciting and seems to be gaining in confidence with every game!
    He laid quite a few chances on a plate last night...I don't know how Mitchell missed the one from 6 yards in the 2nd half!
    He's probably our biggest asset at the moment and he's only going to get better.....hopefully with us!
    COYP

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    I had the same thoughts early on last night....he does look exciting and seems to be gaining in confidence with every game!
    He laid quite a few chances on a plate last night...I don't know how Mitchell missed the one from 6 yards in the 2nd half!
    He's probably our biggest asset at the moment and he's only going to get better.....hopefully with us!
    COYP
    I admire his qualities no end. However last night at times I think his final ball was well below par. He’s capable of achieving at a higher level no doubt but I reckon he will benefit from spending the rest of the season with us and learning from the coach here. Unless someone does come in with a ridiculous offer which we can’t turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    I admire his qualities no end. However last night at times I think his final ball was well below par. He’s capable of achieving at a higher level no doubt but I reckon he will benefit from spending the rest of the season with us and learning from the coach here. Unless someone does come in with a ridiculous offer which we can’t turn down.
    That’s the thing with Roberts (and Rodrigues to a slightly less extent). He’s just involved so much. I agree that he was very wasteful at times last night, but he still scored, had a goal disallowed, set up
    the second goal, laid one on a plate for Palmer that he somehow put wide and put a free kick inches wide.

How would we all feel if Wrexham came in with a £500k+ offer? Doesn't bear thinking about...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 15-09-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

Thoughts?
    Selling your best players only weakens the squad surely!

In the short term without a doubt it's unavoidable. Other clubs usually only want your best players after all.

Medium/Long term it's the correct plan to adopt. Buy, train, play, sell all whilst hopefully moving up the divisions. That's the key for £££ reasons as the price ceiling increases hugely as you move up the division increasing more each time.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Selling your best players only weakens the squad surely!
    Surely does.......It's all about money! ......both from the club's, and player's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    How would we all feel if Wrexham came in with a £500k+ offer? Doesn't bear thinking about...
    Firstly, I am sure that Roberts would not see Wrexham a step up, and believe the club would want a lot more than £500K.
    Secondly, I hope that we follow the wonderful example set by Brentford, and only sell our best players when the time is right for both Roberts and Notts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast