+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thoughts On Championship

Thoughts On Championship

In my view this is the weakest Championship for years and apart from West Brom, Fulham and Bournemouth what other serious contenders are there!

We have the weakest squad we have ever had - certainly weaker than the side who was promoted last season and even then much weaker than when Shan parked the bus at Vile Park.

Still say Watford, Norwich and Brentford will all be relegated but even so - they are still much stronger than our present squad. So in a nutshell if we get promoted with this squad they would get hammered.

This squad - Livermore has been crap for two years - Grant is a waste of space - Ajayi hit and miss - Phillips does not turn up more times than not - Robinson too inconsistent

We have spent zero this year and off loaded some large salaries from the payroll including Dowling who was a waste of space. We can guess where the Pereira money and parachute money has gone!!!

So if we get promoted Lai will be selling the club immediately before he knows in his own mind that we will be on the way back to the Championship and no doubt will pocket whatever he can before he sells up!!!!

So on the above basis as a regular moaner - am I happy with Val and the way the team has performed so far? To right I am and actually excited with some decent football along the way. Darren Moore never had a plan A let alone a plan B and played Gayle on the wing FFS and left Barry exposed in the middle whose legs had gone as well as playing out from the back. Shan should never have been appointed and parked the bus at Vile Park and Fat Sam was there for the money before taking months to make the team stable after being thrashed. Bilic was a nice guy but made the classic mistake of keeping faith with rubbish.

So where is plan B from Val some have said? Not easy to have a plan B when we lack talent all over the pitch so how can we out football a side? Look at how effective Barnsley were but they had less talent than our present squad! Last night we had 25 opportunities FFS!!!! We have been screaming for a decent striker since Gayle left but no we have absolute garbage including Grant at 15 million who was recruited and don't get me going on Zohore!

Some didn't even want the West Brom job and don't blame them. Why would Lampard have come to us to ruin his reputation on zero spend?

My excitement is that with this weak squad they are giving everything despite the lack of talent and we have a manager who appears to love his job and focused. Was it Val's fault nobody got one of the 25 opportunities last night? Credit to Rooney - he's thick but he know's his football and they are not a bad side and their keeper and Curtis Davies played blinders. I am sure we will get back on track. Fulham with double the value of our squad lost at Blackpool to remind some people!

So with everything above in mind - despite not being well and having difficulty in walking - I am excited to be going to Preston with the other 3500 supporters.

I get some different views on disappointment perhaps with Val but those who are taking the p iss or making stupid comments with this weak squad he's trying to manage with sticking plaster did to stop blabbing and get a life FFS!

I hated VAR - hated getting thrashed - hated the pure greed of most Premier Clubs but love the excitement of the Championship - love the banter at Championship grounds - love getting some good results. Do I want us to go up - yes but only if Lai goes and f ucks himself and we get a decent owner who will invest. Look at Leeds and Villa as examples!

In summary - we are a club in decline. Look at the team that lost against Vile and look at the weak squad now in comparison! Even look at our Academy that's falling too bits!

F uck off Lai and credit to Val so far on managing on less than a shoestring!
    Last edited by baggieal; 15-09-2021 at 12:15 PM.

It’s a rubbish division compared to the Prem.

We’ve stripped out the one bit of true class we had in Perreira.......HE was the difference between us being almost nailed on for promotion or becoming a bang average Champ side.

A bad move by him and by us.

I don’t like being held to ransom but it’s a truth in all sports, most successful teams have to pay through the teeth to satisfy their star player.

He should’ve probably been paid £70k to £80k a week to keep him with us.

It’s what I’d have done as owner but that’s irrelevant.

I agree with both the above posts but I believe that we played too much 'hoofball' last night, especially in the first half. When we did play it on the ground we looked far more dangerous and with a decent striker would have scored a couple at least. Diangana is far more effective on the wide left as it was his crosses that should have been converted. I'm not against a high press but we mustn't abandon the passing game and just rely on long throws and set pieces to score goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I agree with both the above posts but I believe that we played too much 'hoofball' last night, especially in the first half. When we did play it on the ground we looked far more dangerous and with a decent striker would have scored a couple at least. Diangana is far more effective on the wide left as it was his crosses that should have been converted. I'm not against a high press but we mustn't abandon the passing game and just rely on long throws and set pieces to score goals.

Thought Diangana looked a right threat last night and to be fair Reach put in some good crosses!

The body language of Grant is similar to Zohore!

Hope Tolluch is given a chance when back from injury too!

I would start with Diangana Hugill and Robinson on Saturday. Hugill and Robinson were pretty lethal together at Preston and Preston fans are bemoaning the fact we have got them both and would love to have them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I would start with Diangana Hugill and Robinson on Saturday. Hugill and Robinson were pretty lethal together at Preston and Preston fans are bemoaning the fact we have got them both and would love to have them back.

Would agree Joy with that! I was impressed with Reach too as getting some good crosses in! Livermore for me is the weak link!!!

The last two games have proved we need to play with a target man, Hugill has done well when he has come on I'm just worried that he can't play for 90 mins but I would start him and play him as long as possible but I think we need another striker I just hope having to wait until January will not cost us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    The last two games have proved we need to play with a target man, Hugill has done well when he has come on I'm just worried that he can't play for 90 mins but I would start him and play him as long as possible but I think we need another striker I just hope having to wait until January will not cost us in the long run.

We have waited since Gayle left! Should I draw a picture for the Board at West Brom with a ball hitting the back of the net? The picture will also show donkeys grazing in the meadows that cost f uck all!

Can’t argue with much. The bottom line is money. Always has been. We don’t spend enough. We don’t have enough Ambition. Great club but will always yo yo unless we invest big. Very big.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)