+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyche is not the problem

Dyche is not the problem

I have heard quite a few comments on here recently suggesting a change of manager would be a good thing.
    It is far too simplistic to lay the blame with Dyche for our current playing style and predicament.
    Firstly I think the style of play or Dycheball as it is called is largely dictated by the tools that Sean has at his disposal.Our technical inferiority means that we have to try to win by other means than the slick football often seen in the PL.We do not have the players to do that in the PL and any attempt to do that would end up with us getting hammered every week and not by the odd goal.The squad is primarily made up of players who at their peak were average PL players at best.Now they are ageing and slowing.They cannot maintain the intensity required in the PL for more than 60-65 minutes.
    If we think back to the Championship winning season the football was exciting and great to watch so I do not think the current style of play is down to Dyche.
    Sean was led to believe many seasons ago that the investment in the squad although small by PL standards would be forthcoming.However for as long as I can remember our midfield has never been addressed and our front line has been for want of a better word impotent except for Wood who if he were injured we would no doubt have been relegated the last two seasons.The recruitment has been shambolic and some of the signings have been a woeful waste of money.
    I can only presume Sean was being patient and waiting to see if the promised investment from the new owners materialised.
    Now we have new owners and the club has far less finances than under the previous lot simply because the contents of the much admired dry powder room were used to buy the club.If that money had been invested in the squad then I am pretty sure we would be witnessing better football and better results.
    Sean has his faults with substitutions as a much mentioned gripe but again he does not have game changers on the bench.
    It will be interesting to see if come Christmas we are in the relegation zone then ALK give Dyche more backing.If not then it is game over for the us in the PL and SD will be off.
    At the end of the day for SD to do what he has done with BFC with the tools at his disposal is nothing short of a miracle.Only a genius could have kept this team in the PL for so long without investment.I fear however that the lack of investment has finally caught up with us.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 15-09-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Given my recent posts on this subject CiB, I don't think I need to say I agree with you 100%, but I'll say it anyway, nail on head, 100% correct. Not a word would I alter if I was posting myself. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I have heard quite a few comments on here recently suggesting a change of manager would be a good thing.
    It is far too simplistic to lay the blame with Dyche for our current playing style and predicament.
    Firstly I think the style of play or Dycheball as it is called is largely dictated by the tools that Sean has at his disposal.Our technical inferiority means that we have to try to win by other means than the slick football often seen in the PL.We do not have the players to do that in the PL and any attempt to do that would end up with us getting hammered every week and not by the odd goal.The squad is primarily made up of players who at their peak were average PL players at best.Now they are ageing and slowing.They cannot maintain the intensity required in the PL for more than 60-65 minutes.
    If we think back to the Championship winning season the football was exciting and great to watch so I do not think the current style of play is down to Dyche.
    Sean was led to believe many seasons ago that the investment in the squad although small by PL standards would be forthcoming.However for as long as I can remember our midfield has never been addressed and our front line has been for want of a better word impotent except for Wood who if he were injured we would no doubt have been relegated the last two seasons.The recruitment has been shambolic and some of the signings have been a woeful waste of money.
    I can only presume Sean was being patient and waiting to see if the promised investment from the new owners materialised.
    Now we have new owners and the club has far less finances than under the previous lot simply because the contents of the much admired dry powder room were used to buy the club.If that money had been invested in the squad then I am pretty sure we would be witnessing better football and better results.
    Sean has his faults with substitutions as a much mentioned gripe but again he does not have game changers on the bench.
    It will be interesting to see if come Christmas we are in the relegation zone then ALK give Dyche more backing.If not then it is game over for the us in the PL and SD will be off.
    At the end of the day for SD to do what he has done with BFC with the tools at his disposal is nothing short of a miracle.Only a genius could have kept this team in the PL for so long without investment.I fear however that the lack of investment has finally caught up with us.
    It’s a good post CIB what I’d say is like I’ve said many times it’s a win / win for Sean as he can do no wrong in most peoples eyes,

I’m not entirely convinced that some of it isn’t his fault tbh , if you think back in his interviews the statements he makes / made and what he’s happy with and not players bought never played ,
    On the one hand we’re all saying Sean runs this club top to bottom , so which is it ? For the last few years are none of the signings Sean’s? did he not ask for what he wanted or did Gar-lick just buy what he thought we needed.

It’s easy to get sucked in to Dyche the messiah and I get that tbh , I think
    In reality normal people in management don’t have the luxury afforded to him.

Plus the cracks are starting to show and those that weren’t happy with him shall we say have suddenly found a voice.

I never quite understood why a large majority of Burnley fans wanted to sack dear old Frank Teasdale, but they did.

One of my best ever seasons watching the Clarets was when we won the Championship the last time we were in it.

Me and my youngest lad went to virtually every game that season and after the thumping the team got at Hull on Boxing Day, we became almost invincible.

Bottom line, most current EPL teams have a better selection of quality players to choose from than Dyche does. Simples really!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I never quite understood why a large majority of Burnley fans wanted to sack dear old Frank Teasdale, but they did.

One of my best ever seasons watching the Clarets was when we won the Championship the last time we were in it.

Me and my youngest lad went to virtually every game that season and after the thumping the team got at Hull on Boxing Day, we became almost invincible.

Bottom line, most current EPL teams have a better selection of quality players to choose from than Dyche does. Simples really!
    Agreed BT. We have been treading Water in the Premier League for a while and now I can't see 3 teams worse than us. I am afraid we are part of the 3. We are not going to score enough goals to win the point to survive this year as far as I can see and It's that simple. Investment starvation in the richest league in the world means you pay the price eventually. Teams now know how to deal with us as well and we can't really adapt tactically to that. It's a great shame but that's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlydave View Post
    Agreed BT. We have been treading Water in the Premier League for a while and now I can't see 3 teams worse than us. I am afraid we are part of the 3. We are not going to score enough goals to win the point to survive this year as far as I can see and It's that simple. Investment starvation in the richest league in the world means you pay the price eventually. Teams now know how to deal with us as well and we can't really adapt tactically to that. It's a great shame but that's reality.
    That's exactly how I see it Dd, I hope I'm wrong, but usually I am not!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That's exactly how I see it Dd, I hope I'm wrong, but usually I am not!
    You never know if we can get to January with a few points there might still be a chance for us ,
    But I think the owners would have to dig deep and buy a forward with goals in him and a centre mid who can be creative and really get about people.
    There will be a few teams struggle by then.

ClaretinB: (and for the lads) Dyce is the problem!

''It is far too simplistic to lay the blame with Dyche for our current playing style and predicament.''
    ''Our technical inferiority means ....''
    The rest what C in B has written I can more or less agree with. But:

Dyce is the boss ,he is the number ONE, he says what happens on the field of play. etc. (other happenings are for now less important).

''He says what happens on the field of play.'' Yes, its correct you may say ,''We do not have the players''? But these players (here I concentrate on our defence),they are making basic schoolboy errors! Basic errors that should never be, and it is Dyce that should see this and correct them. If not corrected then who's fault is it? The coaching system?

We have played Leeds. Lets look at the video https://youtu.be/UDoJPPxKfMw

If you stop/pause the video at 1.39. You see Taylor running to the Leeds winger Raphinha. McNeil is running to help him and Brownhill, is near to Roberts looking at the ball ,but perhaps has no idea that Roberts will move into the centre (and will be unmarked) Bamford is neither marked by Tarks ,nor Lawton, who is positioned somewhere between them,(so unmarked).

Next to stop/pause the video at 1.40. Disaster is unfolding! Taylor has chosen to run to Raphinha, the winger and to challenge him with the right part of his body facing the winger. also challenging to snatch the ball from the winger. By this action he has lost his balance, (his body is at a 45 degree to the pitch)He does not snatch the ball and he is now a dead man falling!) McNeil is running to assist Taylor, running straight towards the ball, better is to run slightly behind Taylor. At least that's more defensive
    Therefore Raphinha would have two players to beat, but? Then Brownhill is in 'No mans land' not covering any player. The Leeds player (46) Shackleton is open now for any pass from Raphinha, if needed. Roberts of Leeds (11) is in a great position ,open for a shot at goals, completely uncovered ,unmarked! If Taylor had moved into a position facing Raphinha square on. Leaving the winger with the problem ,to pass Taylor on his right side, left side, or nip the ball through Taylors legs? It takes the winger about 2 secs to decide this move, that 2 secs gifts the Burnley defence 2 valuable secs to tighten defence more!

I will stop here, you have seen, but may not agree with me, the defence needs 'fine tuning', and if the master S D see's this, then ?? We can also take the Brighton game ,it also has basic mistakes. Dyche has to first correct all these basic mistakes and then we can assess our team and its potential.

Dyche: “We’ve got enough experience in the Premier League, both me – myself – the staff, the squad, to know how the league operates. We just need to make it come our way."

The Gaffer on last night's defeat at Goodison Park

I like Dyche, no way would we have stayed in the Prem without him.. but on reflextion he was brought in to get us into the prem, and that was a ask at the time, we are no Newcastle, Leicester, portsmouth, Norwich etc etc who spent a fortune, we had a decent chance but still
    after that I just think there was no further plan then survival, there was never a plan to improve, progress .. no master plan other than survive and Sean did it.
    But as fans we are like .. and what now, why didnt we improve and kick on?
    We havent done much really have, we have barley plugged gaps from selling Austin, Trippier, Keane, Gray, Ings .. have any of these sales been improved?
    We play the same as we did 9 years ago, squad get smaller each year, replacements are lower quality.. its just been a slow depreciation all around.
    Personally I am disappointed in the development side, we where told years ago that a lot of the money gained via balloon and promotion not to mention 7th place, was spent on training and development.
    where are the youth players?

As many have already said, the lack of investment over the years is having its effect. When we finished 7th there was the hope that we would kick on as an established PL side. The reality has been every year hoping that 3 teams are worse than us. Survival. I for one have been very disappointed with the take over and the lack of real investment this summer. I saw part of Stoke v Barnsley the other evening and some of their play was attractive and exciting. On that basis, I think that we would struggle in the Championship with the present squad. I thought our performance at Everton after the first 25 minutes was embarrassing. As regards youth development, I really do not know what is coming out of that - Jimmy Dunne and Josh Benson sold, others out on loan season after season. It produced McNeil but there is no evidence of others knocking on the door.

The reality is that we are not a PL club. Perhaps, as fans, we have to accept that. We cannot compete financially. I think I would rather be watching us winning in a lower division than suffering the embarrassment of our performances in the PL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)