+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcast with Mr Paul Conway

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    You can also make money by asset stripping (selling players) and then selling the bones of the club as long as you bought it cheap enough, say £8 million.

The only example we have of their full cycle of ownership is OGC Nice.
    They bought the club for £8 million because that’s all what the club was worth.
    The attraction of Barnsley was that the price was only £8 million - there were no big debts hung around the clubs neck.
    How many Championship clubs could claim that ???
    Well done Patrick.
    (McCabe reckons Sheffield United owe him £95 MILLION)

Plus Barnsley was in the Championship.
    It offered a great business opportunity to work from.
    As things stand now - if they sold - i doubt they would recoup the money laid out on buying the club and buying players and paying wages.
    But they eventually will.
    Build it steady - a layer of bricks at a time.

The mantra is balance the budget Nudge. It's a matter of pride for the owners that they haven't spent a penny of their own money on buying players and paying wages.

By the way they haven't paid the £8 mill. They are being taken to Court to gerrit art of them.

Name me another debt free Championship club they could have bought for £8 mill ?It was "Too good to be true"

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Your not having that .

Andy Holt is one of the most respected owners in the EFL .

He keeps his club Accrington competitive on penny's in league one but they still come in on budget .

The fan experience is one of the best in the EFL and the club is massively community committed .

A thousand PMG's couldn't make one Andy Holt .
    He talks sense, and he realises that football is coming to a crossroads. Love his comments on Twitter and on Radio.

The mantra is balance the budget Nudge. It's a matter of pride for the owners that they haven't spent a penny of their own money on buying players and paying wages.

By the way they haven't paid the £8 mill. They are being taken to Court to gerrit art of them.

Name me another debt free Championship club they could have bought for £8 mill ?It was "Too good to be true"
    As most people know - the ground and the football club are two different entities that are owned separately.
    The ground is owned 50/50 by the Cryne family and Barnsley Council.
    The football club is owned 80% by the consortium and 20% by the Cryne family.

We can only guess regarding the detail of the sale of the football club.
    These owners have said that there are things attached to the sale of the ground that during the sale of the football club they were not made aware of.
    Has this had a bearing in relation to the sale of the football club.
    I don’t know.
    It would be courteous if someone that actually was involved in the sale gave an explanation of what happened to the fans.

It is the fault of the buyers to research properly any issues regarding the purchase. If there is a covenant or mineral rights or a ransom strip Conways legal team should have found this out prior to purchase.
    It's like you buying a house but the searches were not completed thoroughly.

Perhaps Conway's legal team should sue Conway's legal teamC

I hope the Consortium use it as an excuse to invite buyers for the club. Yes there will be buyers even if Conway puts a £50 mill price tag on the club, an event of which I would not be surprised. A business has to make profits somewhere after all.

Last edited by SBRed48; 16-09-2021 at 08:47 PM.

On the face of it - if the Cryne family want to do the club a big favour they should sell the 20% of the football club to the consortium.
    I believe this would generate much more investment into the football club.

And if they can ensure the legalities surrounding the long term future of the ground (ensuring the ground cannot be developed for any other purpose) then the Crynes should sell their 50% of the ground to the consortium.
    If the consortium can come up with a reasonable long term lease hold deal with the council then the consortium are then free to develop the ground.
    This would generate investment into the ground while having Barnsley Council holding onto the brake just in case they didn’t believe the development was good for the club or the town.

Definitely things need to change - because I think there is a rough diamond here that could be polished into a jewel.

I can think of a saying involving Conway and polishing something.

What about the Council's 50% and protecting the Covenant Nudge ?
    I dread to think what would happen to the Oakwell Stadium and surrounds if Conway got "clean title" as he calls it, business speak for I can do what I feqn well want.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 16-09-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Up the Reds !!!

I can think of a saying involving Conway and polishing something.

What about the Council's 50% and protecting the Covenant Nudge ?
    I dread to think what would happen to the Oakwell Stadium and surrounds if Conway got "clean title" as he calls it, business speak for I can do what I feqn well want.
    As much as I’d like the consortium to get a bigger stake in the club.
    I don’t want any owner to get a ‘clear title’ of the ground.
    No one.

Legacy of Patrick was two fold:
    He prevented the club from going out of business.
    He put the ground into equal ownership so in the future it would be secure for football.

We have to honour that legacy.

It could be argued there is a third legacy - he managed the club in such an astute way it became highly attractive to potential buyers.

Only gripe I have of Patrick is that he held onto the club for far too long - BUT - we don’t know the conversations he had with potential buyers during that time.
    Clearly he didn’t want a buyer that could put the club under mountains of debt - as we see at most (all?) other Championship clubs.

He must have seen something good in the present owners.

The covenant to keep the stadium for football was in place long before Cryne became owner.

True, he did step up the plate following administration when no other bugger would.

I think, knowing he was going to die in a few months, the main motivation to sell, as it would be for most of us, would be to look after his family financially. A smooth talking arseoyle promising the best for BFC and putting £8 mill on the table would clinch the deal. Of course the arseoyle has renaged on paying but if you deal with chancers out to make a dollar this is what you might expect.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast