+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Podcast with Mr Paul Conway

Its always been the case Pass, we won't get shown enough even if we are having a good season. Whereas teams who are doing badly will still get shown every other week because of their so called fan base, they say they have to cater for the majority.
    How many times did we have this argument or discussion with radio pig about their biased coverage, and it was like talking to a brick wall.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    That's a fair point. It took them 6 years of good consistent championship football to achieve that though. We have 2 rather bizarre championship seasons behind us under this consortium.
    Plus £60m of initial investment to kick start the project .

Which in my opinion tells you how flawed a business model the consortium here have .

You get nowt in this game without investment .

The thing is I wouldn't begrudge them a good profit if they risked some of their own money .

I'll be fecked if these feckers cash in without investing one single penny .

Although I'm pretty confident they won't or at least won't profit to any great extent given the length of their tenure .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Going on what Animal said, it would greatly disappoint me as well if the club did go back to 'normal' again.
    Would we all just accept that and enjoy being able to survive each season, and would we just look at that as a continued great achievement.
    For me, last season showed what we might be capable of a bit more regularly, with proper sensible backing and yes a fair bit of luck as well.
    We aren't a million miles away from being a mid table squad and for me, merely staying up from now on is a negative step backwards and it shows little or no ambition.
    I honestly think we are not a million miles from being a top six squad ……. and that’s why it’s peeeing me off big style.
    It’s so frustrating.
    If we had this squad with Morris and Dike (or a decent replacement for Dike) playing regularly from the START of the season - then I think all of those draws would have been wins.

It’s blatantly obvious to see which part of the jigsaw is missing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I honestly think we are not a million miles from being a top six squad ……. and that’s why it’s peeeing me off big style. It’s so frustrating.
    If we had this squad with Morris and Dike (or a decent replacement for Dike) playing regularly from the START of the season - then I think all of those draws would have been wins. It’s blatantly obvious to see which part of the jigsaw is missing this season.
    Im starting to come round to your way of thinking Nudger lad lol, should I be worried about that ehh ?.
    Yes in fairness I don't think we are actually too far away from being a good competitive team at this level, and that means top half of course. Its just that certain pieces aren't being put into their correct places etc, and that has been a problem for us for too many years now.
    Ok I get what your saying about the target man but Marcus has surely made it clear hes not going to go down that route. We do need Carlton Morris back asap, but when is that going to be ?.
    Last edited by Acido; 19-09-2021 at 07:05 PM.

I honestly think we are not a million miles from being a top six squad ……. and that’s why it’s peeeing me off big style.
    It’s so frustrating.
    If we had this squad with Morris and Dike (or a decent replacement for Dike) playing regularly from the START of the season - then I think all of those draws would have been wins.

It’s blatantly obvious to see which part of the jigsaw is missing this season.
    The blatantly obvious part in my opinion isn't even on the field Nudge .

I've seen enough to form a present opinion that Schopp doesn't understand the championship and what it's all about .

Which isn't to say the penny won't drop and It would be a decent idea to get a grip of the job if you want to see at least one season here .

The backwater of Austrian football awaits if you don't which would be disappointing given the last two have landed themselves better opportunities and no doubt better financial enhancements .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Plus £60m of initial investment to kick start the project .

Which in my opinion tells you how flawed a business model the consortium here have .

You get nowt in this game without investment .

The thing is I wouldn't begrudge them a good profit if they risked some of their own money .

I'll be fecked if these feckers cash in without investing one single penny .

Although I'm pretty confident they won't or at least won't profit to any great extent given the length of their tenure .
    I may well be wrong but i'd have thought Brentfords new stadium plans would've ate into a huge part of that initial 60m investment. Their shrewdness in the transfer market is to be respected. Summat we should be looking to emulate. Ennyrooard, that's them, this is us. Wi art investment of that nature it'll take a long time before player sales can generate us something substantial.

We have a couple of gems in the pipeline here. If we sell 2 players in the next summer transfer window for say 10/12 million, I'd certainly expect our long standing transfer record smashed with whoever we buy as replacements.

If we sell for big and replace with bargain basement buys, al be pyssed off summat chronic. I'd sincerely like to think that kind of scenario wouldn't be the case though. We live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I may well be wrong but i'd have thought Brentfords new stadium plans would've ate into a huge part of that initial 60m investment. Their shrewdness in the transfer market is to be respected. Summat we should be looking to emulate. Ennyrooard, that's them, this is us. Wi art investment of that nature it'll take a long time before player sales can generate us something substantial.

We have a couple of gems in the pipeline here. If we sell 2 players in the next summer transfer window for say 10/12 million, I'd certainly expect our long standing transfer record smashed with whoever we buy as replacements.

If we sell for big and replace with bargain basement buys, al be pyssed off summat chronic. I'd sincerely like to think that kind of scenario wouldn't be the case though. We live in hope.
    A risk no doubt Pass but they've just landed themselves a £170m bonaza by getting promoted to the PL .

It's a risk and reward industry always has been .

I'm not going to spend anybody's money Pass I just see the industry from my own perspective .

The consortium seem to believe they can make money here by not risking a single penny of their own money on the project .

I'm calling bull shyte on that as a model .

That's my position irrespective of who they are or where they were born .

The frustrating part for me is that I want them to pull a good profit out of this venture because we as fans will take a journey on that ride .

Nobody wins in my opinion unless they are prepared to invest in this club .

That's difficult for me to deal with given their stance thus far .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The blatantly obvious part in my opinion isn't even on the field Nudge .

I've seen enough to form a present opinion that Schopp doesn't understand the championship and what it's all about .

Which isn't to say the penny won't drop and It would be a decent idea to get a grip of the job if you want to see at least one season here .

The backwater of Austrian football awaits if you don't which would be disappointing given the last two have landed themselves better opportunities and no doubt better financial enhancements .
    First impressions - we have appointed an exceptional manager - who has been able to shuffle a depleted pack into not conceding many goals.
    Yes we lost heavily at Bournemouth because they were fully prepared for this season and we arn’t.
    Even when we have everyone back it will be tough this season to beat Bournemouth.
    But other than that we arn’t conceding many.

I think we are stronger this season.
    Defence we have finally got Kitchen into the team.
    And when Mads gets back that defence will take some breaking down.

In midfield - we have added Benson and Gomes.
    Vita on paper should be a really good recruit but has only just joined the squad.
    We have far more options this season to change things around.
    But even with players out the midfield is causing opposition teams problems.

In attack - Leya and Cole have been brought in to add speed - but they are still not up to the rigours of the Championship.
    Obbi brought in to bring power to the front line because we lost Dike - but Obbi isn’t yet ready.
    On top of this Morris gets injured.

Comparisons between this season and last.
    Goalkeepers - same as - brilliant.
    Defence - stronger this season.
    Midfield - more options and flexibility this season.
    Attack - much weaker so far this season.

First impressions - we have appointed an exceptional manager - who has been able to shuffle a depleted pack into not conceding many goals.
    Yes we lost heavily at Bournemouth because they were fully prepared for this season and we arn’t.
    Even when we have everyone back it will be tough this season to beat Bournemouth.
    But other than that we arn’t conceding many.

I think we are stronger this season.
    Defence we have finally got Kitchen into the team.
    And when Mads gets back that defence will take some breaking down.

In midfield - we have added Benson and Gomes.
    Vita on paper should be a really good recruit but has only just joined the squad.
    We have far more options this season to change things around.
    But even with players out the midfield is causing opposition teams problems.

In attack - Leya and Cole have been brought in to add speed - but they are still not up to the rigours of the Championship.
    Obbi brought in to bring power to the front line because we lost Dike - but Obbi isn’t yet ready.
    On top of this Morris gets injured.

Comparisons between this season and last.
    Goalkeepers - same as - brilliant.
    Defence - stronger this season.
    Midfield - more options and flexibility this season.
    Attack - much weaker so far this season.
    Collins is having a breakout season and he's hid a massive amount of flaws so far .

He's gained us half of our points tally so far in my opinion which only stands at 8 when all is said and done .

The next two games are massively important as to where this season is heading .

It wouldn't be the greatest idea to lose both of em .

It could happen .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Im starting to come round to your way of thinking Nudger lad lol, should I be worried about that ehh ?.
    Yes in fairness I don't think we are actually too far away from being a good competitive team at this level, and that means top half of course. Its just that certain pieces aren't being put into their correct places etc, and that has been a problem for us for too many years now.
    Ok I get what your saying about the target man but Marcus has surely made it clear hes not going to go down that route. We do need Carlton Morris back asap, but when is that going to be ?.
    Acido - have a bob on Nudger 😊

When it comes to target strikers - as supporters have we already forgotten what Ismael said after the Cardiff game last season - regarding how the Championship is built on POWER.
    And as a consequence of that in January the club brought In Morris and Dike.
    It was the finishing touches to a squad and those 2 players lifted the club from a predicted mid table finish to a top 6 finish.

This season we start with inadequate cover in that position.
    And it clearly shows.
    The recruitment team have failed - they need to answer why this has happened - when they knew during the window that Morris was out injured and Obbi wasn’t ready.
    A loan would have covered this important position.

Most Premier clubs don’t play the power game - but Chelsea knew what was missing when they signed Lukaku.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 20-09-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast