+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T The Rolling Stones

O/T The Rolling Stones

Keith Richards once called the Sergeant Pepper album 'a mish mash of rubbish'. But I've never got the Stones. In fact I would go as far as to say their music was sh1te. It's probably just me, Honky Tonk women ffs.

Ruby Tuesday and Paint It Black from the early days and Miss You from 40 years ago are faves of mine but I’ve never been a fan in general.

You have to give them credit for longevity though.

I have always been a big fan of the Stones, Keith Richards is an iconic guitarist, certainly not a great virtuoso but his contribution to rock music is immense; so many classic riffs from ‘Keef’! I agree with him to a large extent regarding Sgt. Pepper, I never thought much of it and some of it, to my mind, is rubbish. The early Beatles stuff was good and innovative but they lost me when they started the psychedelic material. I think that John Lennon was a bit of a con man, how he managed to pass of some of his later output as music, especially that with Yoko, is baffling! People would buy it just because it was John Lennon, much like some people would buy a claret and blue football shirt if it has an Albion badge on it!

Kettering, you are spot on. I've always been a huge Beatles fan but as you say their early stuff was the best. Why everybody raved over Sgt. Pepper I don't know, the previous albums were far superior. I realise that it's all a matter of taste but I'm fully with you on this. As for the Rolling Stones, they made some great rock numbers, 'Brown Sugar' being my all time favourite. I also enjoyed their two first
    R&B albums.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    .....The early Beatles stuff was good and innovative but they lost me when they started the psychedelic material. I think that John Lennon was a bit of a con man, how he managed to pass of some of his later output as music, especially that with Yoko, is baffling!........
    By psychedelic material I imagine you're referring to when they were off their faces on LSD and everything else they could get.

I've read that as well as being talented John Lennon was rumoured to be an arrogant nasty piece of work back in the day (I've no idea whether he was or not).

As for Yoko Ono I've heard some of her solo stuff. She sounded like she was being skinned alive. Yoko Oh No would have been much more apt a moniker 😊 .

As a thir**** year old youth they had a significant influence upon me. It was called R&B and I loved the sound. They were my heroes. Of course I had no idea that this original sound to me comprised covers. I had no idea what a cover was. I managed to get their first two LP’s and EP’s. It was only when they inevitably started writing their own material that my hero worship waned. Of course it was not all bad from then on with the album Let It Bleed being a classic. But in the main they belonged to my past.

Two of my favorites from those times are a Chuck Berry cover and a fantastic song that I eas later amazed to find out was written before I was born.

https://youtu.be/J7VX-8w9Mas
    Last edited by Q165; 16-09-2021 at 08:08 AM.

And

https://youtu.be/Q131ZJ6YkG0

That is proper R&B

With all the conspiracy theories around It got me wondering if anybody had noticed Paul McCartneys bare foot on Abbey Road?

Name:  E_eJ-g-XMAk9v_F.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  94.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    With all the conspiracy theories around It got me wondering if anybody had noticed Paul McCartneys bare foot on Abbey Road?

Name:  E_eJ-g-XMAk9v_F.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  94.7 KB
    Well, if Paul McCartney did die, his replacement is a b loody good likeness!!

He has a bear foot and a bare foot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)