+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans' Forum [September 2021]

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    All 3 of them must have cringed a bit when they were asked specific tactic questions like "Why don't we leave some players up the field when defending corners?"
    Well why don't we leave one, Someone who is quick and not to big. We clear the ball and it comes straight back.

They were talking about Brentford on Sky last night and Carragher was saying that although they’re normally a very pass it out from the back team, against Liverpool they went very much more direct. Largely because Liverpool are renowned as a high press team.

Different level obviously, but I wonder if we’ll follow a similar pattern when playing the better teams. I certainly hope so. I think we mixed it up fairly well at the end of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Well why don't we leave one, Someone who is quick and not to big. We clear the ball and it comes straight back.
    Everyone has their opinion and I'm not saying I don't agree, but it was a very specific question for the format.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    True but it's a gamble....and is the price of success greater than the price of failure.?
    No. We nearly lost our club a couple of seasons ago and I would much rather we were prudent with our finances than gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Most counter attacks from corners come from the defending players around the edge of the box running onto a ball that’s cleared into space. It’s hard for a player left up to actually do anything unless they’re absolutely lightning quick and the ‘keeper claims and releases it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Most counter attacks from corners come from the defending players around the edge of the box running onto a ball that’s cleared into space. It’s hard for a player left up to actually do anything unless they’re absolutely lightning quick and the ‘keeper claims and releases it quickly.
    That's maybe true but if you leave 1,2, or even 3 players up the opposition will leave more defenders back to cover them in theory at least this should make it easier for our defenders & goalie to do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    That's maybe true but if you leave 1,2, or even 3 players up the opposition will leave more defenders back to cover them in theory at least this should make it easier for our defenders & goalie to do their jobs.
    According to IB the idea is that the more of our players we have in the box the less space the opposition has available to attack.

I remember Mexico leaving 2 or 3 players on the halfway line when defending corners in the last World Cup - the opposition didn't know what to do with them!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    According to IB the idea is that the more of our players we have in the box the less space the opposition has available to attack.
    Is basically what I was going to reply to ancientpie. The last thing you want on a corner is lots of space. Better to defend 8 on 8 in there than 6 on 6.

Personally I would only leave 2 or more upfield when defending a corner if we are chasing the game in the final say half an hour. Having players to win the second ball if cleared is more important than having you speedy little man stood on the halfway line marshalled by two equally speedy opposition players.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong really, positives and negatives to both ways, but I guess the theory is that creates more space in the penalty area for attackers to make runs and get free for a clear header. If you pack the box with more players, you maybe reduce your chances of winning the first header, but also make it much harder for the attacking team to get a clean contact and route to goal.

I think leaving one up is a pointless token gesture, but leaving two or more up gets interesting and makes the opposition think about what they’re going to do in response.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast