+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans' Forum [September 2021]

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    No he's the one at the back with the nappy on
    that has tickled me !!!!

Exactly. Chesterfields tenure as a "money team" will be very short lived and if it doesn't work out they will be in the doo doo pretty quick. Rowe will be gone without the financial backing. Barrow are doing ok this season. Folks still need to remember one of the reasons why we ended up down here ( over spending on tripe time and time again).
    Overspending is a problem for a lot of teams but it doesn't mean every team will fail. We keep going on about Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham will all finish up broke, I think it might sometimes be wishful thinking on our part. But the likes of Derby and Bolton have suffered so who knows, the championship sides are in a lot of danger as they chase the holy grail.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Good event and some good questions.

Clearly IB is very committed to playing out from the back and I can see his logic that it draws teams on and creates space upfield. I can also see that controlling possession wears teams out and therefore we can become most dangerous in the later stages of games. However, the question must be whether the players at his disposal are talented/confident enough to play consistently this way at the pace required to catch teams out and generate energy from the crowd. I've seen it in spells this season, but at other times we've been far too pedestrian and the ball has been in our half for far too long. We're aiming to win this league or finish very high up, so it doesn't leave much room for experiment and inconsistency.

I don't expect him to play the way Neil Warnock or Sam Allardyce did, because clearly he's not that sort of manager, but I hope his ideology is sufficiently flexible not to put the players in a position where we are frequently exposing their weaknesses rather than playing to their strengths. The most successful managers generally tend to match their choice of tactics and playing style to the attributes of their squad, rather than imposing a formation and a way of playing that they don't feel comfortable with.
    I must admit playing out from the back is boring to watch imo. We have started poorly playing this way but have mainly got away with it. It will be interesting to see what happens when we play the better sides, we do better second half but that won't be much good if we are 3 down at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Overspending is a problem for a lot of teams but it doesn't mean every team will fail. We keep going on about Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham will all finish up broke, I think it might sometimes be wishful thinking on our part. But the likes of Derby and Bolton have suffered so who knows, the championship sides are in a lot of danger as they chase the holy grail.
    True but it's a gamble....and is the price of success greater than the price of failure.?

Ardley wanted to pass it out from the back but it never went anywhere. I don't want IB to end up the same. Tactically I believe he's a couple of levels above Ardley but we're not going to get out this division faffing about with it across the back line. I understand about drawing teams out but then we have to exploit that, I believe alot of teams think before facing us this will be hard then we just pass it about at the back for the first 30 mins and the opposition grow in stature and that puts pressure on our players. I've always liked teams that attack from minute one as you can be 2 goals up before you know it at this level but I'm not a football coach or manager so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Ardley wanted to pass it out from the back but it never went anywhere. I don't want IB to end up the same. Tactically I believe he's a couple of levels above Ardley but we're not going to get out this division faffing about with it across the back line. I understand about drawing teams out but then we have to exploit that, I believe alot of teams think before facing us this will be hard then we just pass it about at the back for the first 30 mins and the opposition grow in stature and that puts pressure on our players. I've always liked teams that attack from minute one as you can be 2 goals up before you know it at this level but I'm not a football coach or manager so who knows.
    I agree , I don't know why they/we can't mix it up to stop the them becoming so predictable. Teams know what we are about and play to it. If they press from the off then exploit this with the ball over the top to drive them back and stop the press.!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I agree , I don't know why they/we can't mix it up to stop the them becoming so predictable. Teams know what we are about and play to it. If they press from the off then exploit this with the ball over the top to drive them back and stop the press.!
    Yeah you're right, any other manager worth his wage is going to look at us and say right they're going to pass it about and look for a gap through the lines or go over the top so let's keep tight in midfield and at the back and press at the attack. Our players I'm not sure have the ability to get past the attacking press and open up space or play the right ball over the top as alot of our runs from deep come to nothing. If the players just had some more faith in their ability to step into space and drive forward especially at the back where there is chance to then it'll open up the whole pitch but they just pass it sideways or back to the keeper. I really do think we need to see some more ambition and risk with the ball but can our players match up to IBs tactics.

I got up early to listen to the fans forum and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found a few of the questions a bit daft but from a personal point of view it's a great thing it is live streamed on you tube. I think Kyle Cameron came across as a huge fan of the Birchnall Way I was call it but I think its clear we have a huge amount of work to do to implement this footballing philosophy still and I am not expecting promotion this season. However I will stick with it from afar. Doyle is bang on when he says that this league would be the hardest to get out of then we will power on, I do believe that and I was interested that Mr Birchnall singled out Chicksen for high praise. Be interesting if we can hang on to Wootton if we don't go up can't see it and will probably miss out on a fee as well. Lots to think about but thanks to the club I enjoyed listening at home and on the morning dog walk.
    Last edited by queenslandpie; 28-09-2021 at 06:42 AM.

It’s Burchnall ya hippy

I found a few of the questions a bit daft
    All 3 of them must have cringed a bit when they were asked specific tactic questions like "Why don't we leave some players up the field when defending corners?"

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast