+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Arsenal Match Preview

Burnley v Arsenal Match Preview

Well the facts do not lie. Despite having taken the lead in three of their PL fixtures so far this season Burnley have only a single point to show for their endeavours. They now face an Arsenal team who scored their first PL goal of the season against Norwich last weekend and picked up their first win at the same time. Some managers, pundits and scribblers are already calling foul before a ball has been kicked at Turf Moor and calling Burnley a dangerously aggressive team. 97 games without a red card is not the signature of a dirty team. The facts do not lie.

While Burnley had a rather more productive transfer window this time around-bringing in Hennessy, Collins, Roberts, Lennon and Cornet- this was dwarfed by the upheaval at the Emirates where the Gunners paid Brighton 50 million for the services of defender Ben White and 30 million to Sheffield United for goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale. A deal with Real Madrid thought to be in the region of 35-40 million was agreed to make the signing of Martin Odegaard permanent and defender Nuno Tavares was brought in from Benfica. All four players are likely to be in the Arsenal team on Saturday who will be without Granit Xhaka (red card!) Mohamed Elneny (hamstring) and Rob Holding (knee).

In this fixture last season an early goal for Aubameyang was cancelled out when Xhaka’s careless pass cannoned off Chris Wood for the equaliser. A late flurry of Arsenal chances, handball appeals and penalty area pinballs failed to separate the sides. This is a match that will also be remembered for Alexander Lacazette’s very audible re-creation of the Edvard Munch painting “The Scream”. After the game Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta tried to pin the blame on Burnley’s overly physical approach. That accusation will now come into sharp focus again and match referee Anthony Taylor and Lee Mason on VAR may well have their work cut out on Saturday.

For Burnley, fans will be hoping that Maxwel Cornet’s english will have improved sufficiently for him to start on Saturday and that we will not only score but re-discover how to win at home. That is surely not too much to ask is it? COYC!

At least we do not cheat outwood!

Attachment 19945

SD made the point about the absence of red cards and our position in the fair play table. We are aggressive, but not dirty. SD also made the point that some (Klopp) get upset by firm but fair challenges but are silent on diving. The Arse are masters of the latter and we can expect more of the same on Saturday.

None of us want to see career ending tackles, but firm, aggressive challenges are welcome in my book. Hopefully, neither the referee nor VAR will be duped. I have no faith in either, to be honest, especially after the rugby tackle on Tarks by Everton. How that was not a “clear and obvious error” on the part of the referee AND two Assistant Referees beats me.

JGB, God bless him, has said in interview that we are going to try and make it difficult for The Arse. Presumably he means the other ten teammates. Wouldn’t it be better to go into a match with the view that we are going to win the match rather than stopping the other team from playing?

I remember the late, great Jimmy Mac saying that the mentality of the team was always “you score three, we will score four”. Positive, not negative!

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    I remember the late, great Jimmy Mac saying that the mentality of the team was always “you score three, we will score four”. Positive, not negative!
    With Jimmy Mac in the team we could afford to be positive Swiss and try to outscore them, we have Ashley, JBG and Lennon off the bench, so I think 'Park The Bus' might be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    With Jimmy Mac in the team we could afford to be positive Swiss and try to outscore them, we have Ashley, JBG and Lennon off the bench, so I think 'Park The Bus' might be the best option.
    Sadly, sinkov, you are right. That is the reality. It does worry me if the mentality is that the best we can do is make it difficult for the opposition. I would expect us to do that. Aspiring for a bit more would not go amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If SD had Connelly, McIlroy, Pointer, Robson and Harris in the forward line, I'm sure he would set up a bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If SD had Connelly, McIlroy, Pointer, Robson and Harris in the forward line, I'm sure he would set up a bit differently.
    For sure BT. My point is the mental approach. The aspiration should be to win, not stop the other team playing. I know that is a way - stopping the opposition in their game, but we don’t seem able to do that for 90+ minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    With Miller,Adamson and Cummings behind them and Elder & Angus plus McDonald behind them

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    With Miller,Adamson and Cummings behind them and Elder & Angus plus McDonald behind them
    Or Blacklaw.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)