+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team v Maidenhead

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Yeah, JOB's a real conundrum. You could play him instead of Francis I suppose and ask Palmer to play the deeper CM role with JOB given the freedom to play anywhere he likes in behind the front 3. Would probably work quite well now you mention it!
    Yes, I think there's already a fairly big constituency wanting Francis out and O'Brien in, but that forces Palmer to hold...
    Fans need to give Francis a fair chance to show what he can do. Hopefully he's on a steep improvement curve but he'll never make those steps without the game time...this run of fixtures is the perfect opportunity.

Back to J'OB, he's got to be earning his corn as midfield player, right? We know his strengths and weaknesses but he's got to do his part defensively. We know he's not one for a chase, but he can still tackle and cover well and knows the game. It'd be madness to regard him as an attacker and want him replacing other attackers we have. In a good team, he scored in just 1 of 42 NL league games last year. He could get close to 10 this year, but from a midfield position...we have Ruben, Cal, Woots, Kairo, Nemane, Sam, Tyreace, Knight....an embarrassment of riches for the attacking slots.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 17-09-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yes, I think there's already a fairly big constituency wanting Francis out and O'Brien in, but that forces Palmer to hold...
    Fans need to give Francis a fair chance to show what he can do. Hopefully he's on a steep improvement curve but he'll never make those steps without the game time...this run of fixtures is the perfect opportunity.

Back to J'OB, he's got to be earning his corn as midfield player, right? We know his strengths and weaknesses but he's got to do his part defensively. We know he's not one for a chase, but he can still tackle and cover well and knows the game. It'd be madness to regard him as an attacker and want him replacing other attackers we have. In a good team, he scored in just 1 of 42 NL league games last year. He could get close to 10 this year, but from a midfield position...we have Ruben, Cal, Woots, Kairo, Nemane, Sam, Tyreace, Knight....an embarrassment of riches for the attacking slots.
    Very true regarding JOB. The difference this season is the positive way his third man runs have been utilised, but this does often mean he ventures into a more advanced role which was my original concern. Either way it makes for really interesting debate . . . especially between us so called experts

Very true regarding JOB. The difference this season is the positive way his third man runs have been utilised, but this does often mean he ventures into a more advanced role which was my original concern. Either way it makes for really interesting debate . . . especially between us so called experts
    Ha ha...I don't know what NCM is for if it's not for sharing opinions and chatting about the Notts County football team!
    The idea that you can watch 1000s of football matches at all levels over 50 years and not be able to talk about the game is beyond silly...
    Too many experts? A site like this can't have enough

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    IB likes to keep a pretty settled team, but we have so many options (at most positions and choice of formations) that fans' picks could be all over the place. I'd go for

.................Slocombe
    DKE.....Lacey.....Cameron....Taylor
    .....Palmer....Francis....O'Brien
    ....Roberts...Wootton..Rodrigues

subs: Brindley, Chicksen, Vincent, Nemane, Mitchell

Fans are split on formation. Only team insiders have a clue what he's going to send out tomorrow. I like 4-3-3.
    I see Brindley as our long-term RB if we go to a back 4, but DKE has had more chalk on his boots and will be more ready for it now. Palmer and O'Brien provide a good balance either side of Francis. If we need to chase, drop Ruben back to get more of the ball and bring Mitchell on for JO'B
    Agree with this team.

Long term though I prefer DKE to Brindley at RB, but again, that's just an opinion.

Obviously don't know what Vincent is like at the moment - maybe he'll be in for JOB at some time?

It is a great bench to have, and Rawlinson, Knight and Sam in reserve.

Not at all, just people who have an interest in football tactics, stats and analytics and have an opinion they would like to share with like minded fans on a football forum!
    Absolutely. As a foreign fan so to speak I appreciate intelligent insights. Yours are fantastic and also better than my mates at the game by some way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    I prefer the 3 at the back system
    4-3-3 looks very vulnerable defencively, especially when teams double up on the flanks like Wealdstone did against Brindley and Taylor

GK SLOCOMBE
    RCB BRINDLEY
    CB LACEY
    LCB CAMERON
    RWB DKE
    LWB CHICKSEN
    CM PALMER
    ACM RODRIGUEZ
    FWD ROBERTS
    FWD MITCHELL
    STR WHOOTON

SUBS
    OBRIEN
    RAWLINSON
    NEMANE
    FRANCIS
    TAYLOR
    5-2-3? That looks frighteningly weak in midfield, and puts a huge burden on Palmer. Rodrigues is capable of tackling, but he’s at his best going forward. Maybe one of the centre backs would advance more than usual, but in that case why not play 4-3-3?

If plan on a 4-1-4-1 I wouldn’t like to see our version of the 4-3-3 again to combat it if Tuesday night is anything to go by. I’m going for a more midfield solid 4-2-3-1…

…………………Slocombe

Brindley…..Lacey……Cameron……Taylor

………..…..Palmer……Francis

………Roberts…..O’Brien…..Rodrigues

……………..….,.Wootton

Problem is with any formation we put out is that all our midfielders look too similar. We need that one guy, preferably two, who are happy just to win the ball and give it one of the other two/three alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Absolutely. As a foreign fan so to speak I appreciate intelligent insights. Yours are fantastic and also better than my mates at the game by some way!
    I tend to work on the old adage that if you spout enough sh1te people will start to believe it at some point

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    If plan on a 4-1-4-1 I wouldn’t like to see our version of the 4-3-3 again to combat it if Tuesday night is anything to go by. I’m going for a more midfield solid 4-2-3-1…

…………………Slocombe

Brindley…..Lacey……Cameron……Taylor

………..…..Palmer……Francis

………Roberts…..O’Brien…..Rodrigues

……………..….,.Wootton

Problem is with any formation we put out is that all our midfielders look too similar. We need that one guy, preferably two, who are happy just to win the ball and give it one of the other two/three alongside him.
    I like that even more than my own!
    J'OB and Rodders to swap/interchange?

I tend to work on the old adage that if you spout enough sh1te people will start to believe it at some point
    The best definition of an expert that I've heard is "somebody who was right once".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast