+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. Green energy

Meanwhile, over in Barnsley, they are spending £450k on an electric bin lorry

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Meanwhile, over in Barnsley, they are spending £450k on an electric bin lorry
    As a headline figure that sounds like a lot when you can get diesel ones starting from £65k.

However, 12,000 miles a year at 3mpg and £1.82 per litre (what I last paid) is £32k per year.

£320k over 10 years, plus the cost of maintenance.

Electric vehicles last a lot longer and require a lot less maintenance.

Even without the huge environmental benefit, it's getting to the point where electric makes a very compelling economic case.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    As a headline figure that sounds like a lot when you can get diesel ones starting from £65k.

However, 12,000 miles a year at 3mpg and £1.82 per litre (what I last paid) is £32k per year.

Even without the huge environmental benefit, it's getting to the point where electric makes a very compelling economic case.
    electric vehicles last longer?

How many electric bin lorries are you basing your stats on? The batteries won't last 10 years. how much are new ones?
    and 3mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    electric vehicles last longer?

How many electric bin lorries are you basing your stats on? The batteries won't last 10 years. how much are new ones?
    and 3mpg?
    I used to think battery life span would be the achillies heel of electric vehicles, I think because the earliest models were overly cautious and had you lease the battery as an option with some talk of 7-year life spans. No doubt the right-wing newspapers and shows like Top Gear trumpeted this at the time.

Fortunately, battery technology has come a long way, and is massively outperforming some early expectations.

Tesla on the road have batteries that are on course to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles before they need replacing.
    https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2019...act-report.pdf

It's hard to find figures for refuse lorries mpg but here's an article:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-on-u-s-roads/

Also, my £65k estimate for a new lorry was probably way off, I noticed after posting that figure was on a basic model from 2006. The modern sort a council probably needs with seperation is more likely to be triple that from another article I saw.

The Treasury gets about £57billion from fuel duty. Do you think they are going to ignore this as more Electric cars take to the roads in the future? Travelling by car whether it Electric or Fossil fuel will end up the same. Remember years ago when unleaded petrol was way cheaper than old leaded type, once more and more start using it then it will go up.

I used to think battery life span would be the achillies heel of electric vehicles, I think because the earliest models were overly cautious and had you lease the battery as an option with some talk of 7-year life spans. No doubt the right-wing newspapers and shows like Top Gear trumpeted this at the time.

Fortunately, battery technology has come a long way, and is massively outperforming some early expectations.

Tesla on the road have batteries that are on course to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles before they need replacing.
    https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2019...act-report.pdf

It's hard to find figures for refuse lorries mpg but here's an article:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-on-u-s-roads/

Also, my £65k estimate for a new lorry was probably way off, I noticed after posting that figure was on a basic model from 2006. The modern sort a council probably needs with seperation is more likely to be triple that from another article I saw.
    I've just purchased a l ion battery to run alongside the solar and the company are gtd it for min of 6000 cycles Think that's about 15 years. Obv of there still around 😁

Quick update from the setup

Figures are from 100 days. (Batterys fitted 28 days)
    Total generated 2054kwh
    Used 984kwh
    Batterys gen 169kwh

2054 kWh converted to what I would pay (£0.28p) is £575.04
    Battery gen £48.30.
    984 used = £285.52

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Quick update from the setup

Figures are from 100 days. (Batterys fitted 28 days)
    Total generated 2054kwh
    Used 984kwh
    Batterys gen 169kwh

2054 kWh converted to what I would pay (£0.28p) is £575.04
    Battery gen £48.30.
    984 used = £285.52
    Bin men £5,500 in wages….. where there’s muck there’s munee.,

It's just virtue-signalling, it won't be as good as the diesel one. Could be worse though, somewhere in Canada is getting electric fire engines which will put lives at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Bin men £5,500 in wages….. where there’s muck there’s munee.,
    You must be a scruffy fker then m8. 2nd richest man in rovrum, aren't you?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast