+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideal starting XI ?

Go for it Acido!!

MoneyBarnsley has to be Chien Lee 😊

As for a second name - don’t get me started.
    A potential money spinner - that the club refuses to acknowledge.
    I’ll just say this - anything with a Yorkshire sticker on it sells - as it’s seen as wholesome.

The name ‘Tykes’ is synonymous with Yorkshire.

Football supporters throughout Yorkshire that don’t have a league team or are looking for a league team to support eg people in Wakefield - could identify with something that had Yorkshire in its title.

Barnsley Football Club.
    The Yorkshire Tykes.

This would give the club an individual identity that cannot be used by any other club.
    We already have the name Tykes so why not use it to its full extent - to gain support and financial benefit ???

The name ‘Reds’ is a common run of the mill name used by other clubs.
    I know of 3 - but I would imagine there’s more.
    Liverpool
    Notts Forest
    Man United

I think Billy Beane is actually posting on Tykes Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I think Billy Beane is actually posting on Tykes Mad.
    Im guessing hes a bit half baked ? (baked as in baked beans of course).

Is my memory failing me or not?

I remember as a kid I tried to learn the ground and knickname of each league team. Ive forgotten a lot of it now and then there are new grounds and teams of course, but my point is this;

Werent we known as The Colliers back in the day and not The Tykes?

If im right, when did this change?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Is my memory failing me or not?

I remember as a kid I tried to learn the ground and knickname of each league team. Ive forgotten a lot of it now and then there are new grounds and teams of course, but my point is this;

Werent we known as The Colliers back in the day and not The Tykes?

If im right, when did this change?
    We certainly were Eths.

There used to be a cracking and funny poster on here called Up The Colliers. For whatever reason he went over to the dark side ( BBS) and has turned against this board, often posting negative remarks about Tykes Mad. The peak of coal production between 1900 and 1920 coincided with Barnsley as a major club and Barnsley were known as "The Colliers".
    Not sure when it drifted to become "The Tykes" but Thatcher finally killed off the Colliers link

Lol the dark side, hey I think a lot of us have posted on the Bbs as well haven't we.

I don't know if you were around in the days when we had a Mod vote on here SB, but I think Colliers was one who voted for me, and then he went awol.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBarnsley View Post
    Hi there,

New to the forum and a new but passionate Barnsley fan from America. Thinking about this team a month from now gets me so excited - could this starting XI make a strong run at the playoff? What would you change?

Brad

Vita
    Andersen
    Helik
    Brittain

Styles
    Gomes
    Benson

ALI
    Woody
    Morris

Immediately, our bench becomes very strong with the likes of Kitching, Sibbick, Palmer, Freiser, Obbi, etc as well.

Is this squad promotable? Does Obbi crack the starting XI? Where does Woody fit into our long term plans now that we have a bevy of strikers?

Unsure for these questions, but excitement remains for the future of this team. Let's hold steady for the next few weeks until we're fully healthy/fully fit, then I could see this team being A LOT of fun to watch. Cmon you Reds!!!!
    Anyway - getting away from my frustrations surrounding the business opportunities being missed with regards to use of Tykes - let’s look at the other irritations with regards to the lineup.
    I thought ….. by now in the season we would see this

……………… Collins

…….. Sibbick - Helik - Mads (or Kitchen)

Brittain - Palmer (or Gomes) - Benson - Styles

……….. Leya - Obbi - Morris

….. Not a chance so far 🙆🏻🙆🏻🙆🏻
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 20-09-2021 at 04:54 PM.

That has been suggested on here before Nudger, whether our club could try and tap into the market in this part of West Yorkshire (but I think this subject is for another thread to be honest)

However I will admit it annoys me so much when I see people in Wakey & Cas & Ponty & Normy for example, wearing ManUre or Liverpool or Chelski or Ar*senal shirts.
    Wearing Leeds or the Sheffield clubs shirts is acceptable as its a Yorkie thing, but not when its teams from all around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    That has been suggested on here before Nudger, whether our club could try and tap into the market in this part of West Yorkshire (but I think this subject is for another thread to be honest)

However I will admit it annoys me so much when I see people in Wakey & Cas & Ponty & Normy for example, wearing ManUre or Liverpool or Chelski or Ar*senal shirts.
    Wearing Leeds or the Sheffield clubs shirts is acceptable as its a Yorkie thing, but not when its teams from all around the country.
    To be honest - I ain’t got much problems regarding Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and now Man City shirts - because basically they are very rarely football supporters - they usually don’t go to games - they just want to be associated with some sort of success - which IMO is an indication of how humdrum and downtrodden their little lives are.
    On top of that - those shirts can be seen in any town throughout England.

That’s not the same as wearing Leeds and the Sheffield club shirts in Barnsley - especially when those wearing those shirts have no connection to the city club they are supporting.
    These are deserters of their own community.
    And why wear such a shirt while shopping around Barnsley - is it to try and portray that they are superior to others in Barnsley.
    That is to say - they know they are from Barnsley but are ashamed to admit it.
    What’s going on in their tiny little minds
    🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻*♂️
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 20-09-2021 at 08:00 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast