+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ideal starting XI ?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Is my memory failing me or not?

I remember as a kid I tried to learn the ground and knickname of each league team. Ive forgotten a lot of it now and then there are new grounds and teams of course, but my point is this;

Werent we known as The Colliers back in the day and not The Tykes?

If im right, when did this change?
    As far as I am aware Barnsley.F.C.have always been known as The Tykes but I remember in 1912 or 13 we were Drawn away at Arsenal,my old Dad took me to the match and we were behind one of the goals where some supporters had a banner saying something like “Up the Colliers” And a couple of them had miners lamps with them and were testing for gas between the goal posts.So maybe that was where the Colliers name came from but we were always called The Tykes because my Dad told me and he went to school in Barnsley before the First World War.(Although he was born in Lancashire as was my Mum so I haven’t got a drop of Yorkshire blood in my body but I am still a Tyke)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    To be honest - I ain’t got much problems regarding Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and now Man City shirts - because basically they are very rarely football supporters - they usually don’t go to games - they just want to be associated with some sort of success - which IMO is an indication of how humdrum and downtrodden their little lives are.
    On top of that - those shirts can be seen in any town throughout England.

That’s not the same as wearing Leeds and the Sheffield club shirts in Barnsley - especially when those wearing those shirts have no connection to the city club they are supporting.
    These are deserters of their own community.
    And why wear such a shirt while shopping around Barnsley - is it to try and portray that they are superior to others in Barnsley.
    That is to say - they know they are from Barnsley but are ashamed to admit it.
    What’s going on in their tiny little minds
    ������������*♂️
    Just to let you know Nudger I was born in Rossington,Doncaster,went to school in Rossington and Wath-on-Dearness and now live in Sprotbrough,Doncaster so am I a deserter from Doncaster? And by the way my brother played for Doncaster Rovers and Walsall.

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    As far as I am aware Barnsley.F.C.have always been known as The Tykes but I remember in 1912 or 13 we were Drawn away at Arsenal,my old Dad took me to the match and we were behind one of the goals where some supporters had a banner saying something like “Up the Colliers” And a couple of them had miners lamps with them and were testing for gas between the goal posts.So maybe that was where the Colliers name came from but we were always called The Tykes because my Dad told me and he went to school in Barnsley before the First World War.(Although he was born in Lancashire as was my Mum so I haven’t got a drop of Yorkshire blood in my body but I am still a Tyke)
    Interesting information Filey thanks. Its an interesting subject studying the history of the club. I would like to hear from anyone else who had information on this subject.

I wont hold your ancestry against you Filey, youre one of us.

Once a Red always a Red

Just to let you know Nudger I was born in Rossington,Doncaster,went to school in Rossington and Wath-on-Dearness and now live in Sprotbrough,Doncaster so am I a deserter from Doncaster? And by the way my brother played for Doncaster Rovers and Walsall.
    Yes - you should always support your local club - because it’s not just about football - a successful football club has a positive impact on the community.

For example - when Sheffield United last got promotion to the Premier - the impact of that saw £££millions pour into Sheffield City creating countless number of jobs in that city.
    BBC Radio Sheffield were reporting this at the time.
    So then - a guy from Barnsley with 3 kids that are wanting jobs - but he supports Sheffield United has assisted in a small way of creating jobs in the middle of Sheffield - but not where he lives in Barnsley.

There are literally 1000s upon 1000s of guys like this living in Barnsley that have no connection whatsoever with Leeds or the Sheffield clubs but choose to support those clubs.
    IMO - that’s wrong. They should support their local club and by doing so support their local community.

In saying that - the Barnsley District is immediately surrounded by other large towns and cities. Some of the people living in places on the edges of these towns and cities see Barnsley as their local town.

For example - my mother is from Brampton and went to the catholic school in Wath - her family and people around there see Barnsley as their local town.
    If they say they are going into town - they mean Barnsley even though they live in the Rotherham District.
    You can buy the Barnsley Chronicle in newsagents in Wath.

This applies to other places such as Stocksbridge, Denby Dale, Hemsworth, South Kirkby etc etc.

As for people from Rossington now living in Sprotborough (posh) they should support Donny.
    I have a cousin - born in the same bed as me in the Dearne Valley - but from an early age lived in High Melton and now Cadeby - who is a Sheffield United fan - I say to him he should support Doncaster where he was brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBarnsley View Post
    Hi there,

New to the forum and a new but passionate Barnsley fan from America. Thinking about this team a month from now gets me so excited - could this starting XI make a strong run at the playoff? What would you change?

Brad

Vita
    Andersen
    Helik
    Brittain

Styles
    Gomes
    Benson

ALI
    Woody
    Morris

Immediately, our bench becomes very strong with the likes of Kitching, Sibbick, Palmer, Freiser, Obbi, etc as well.

Is this squad promotable? Does Obbi crack the starting XI? Where does Woody fit into our long term plans now that we have a bevy of strikers?

Unsure for these questions, but excitement remains for the future of this team. Let's hold steady for the next few weeks until we're fully healthy/fully fit, then I could see this team being A LOT of fun to watch. Cmon you Reds!!!!
    Welcome,its great to have a supporter from the USA and would be even better if you could come over to Barnsley sometime but don’t make it too far in the future I am getting very close to my 82nd birthday.Did you know there is a small town or village in the USA called Barnsley? I forget just where it is but there was a coalmine there so it could have been coal miners from our Barnsley that started it off.

Try Hopkins County Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridatyke View Post
    Try Hopkins County Kentucky.
    Ok I'll have a Kentucky fried Tyke burger with all the trimmings, and a pint of ice cold lager/beer.
    (ps - I don't know what one of those is, I just made it up lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ok I'll have a Kentucky fried Tyke burger with all the trimmings, and a pint of ice cold lager/beer.
    (ps - I don't know what one of those is, I just made it up lol)
    Tha wants the colonels secret recipe dunt tha Acido. Tha could be the founder of the next big fast food phenomenon- the kentucky fried tykes burger, cooked ova hot coals

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Tha wants the colonels secret recipe dunt tha Acido. Tha could be the founder of the next big fast food phenomenon- the kentucky fried tykes burger, cooked ova hot coals
    Not a bad idea when you think about it, maybe Dave Cherry could sell them for me in his butchers shop near a certain raandabaart.

Welcome,its great to have a supporter from the USA and would be even better if you could come over to Barnsley sometime but don’t make it too far in the future I am getting very close to my 82nd birthday.Did you know there is a small town or village in the USA called Barnsley? I forget just where it is but there was a coalmine there so it could have been coal miners from our Barnsley that started it off.
    Thank you!! I will definitely try to plan a Barnsley trip soon! And yes, it looks like Kentucky is the home to Barnsley over here in the states. Loving these food suggestions y'all

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234