+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Derby County...

When we ran into big financial trouble under Hardy not too long after he spent £400K on two players and both would have likely been one of the top earners at the club. Combine that with the bloated squad we assembled as Hardy backed the managers.

Same with the former owner paying Crawley compensation to take Kewell from them, and then two sackings that season would have again cost additional funds other clubs in L2 that season just weren't paying.

Any owner that doesn't follow suit is making a huge saving, chopping and changing managers costs money and too often is forgotten or downplayed IMO.

Any owner who doesn't do the above is reducing the chance of overspending and running into tenure ending financial difficulties.

We have paid I believe undisclosed fees for Taylor and Mitchell, I'd hazard a guess both were a fraction of the transfer fees paid for Dennis and Enzio. That's not a fact, it's just my opinion, my guess/estimate. I'm very comfortable with that guesstimate.

I'd say with the loss of the parachute payments the Reedtz brothers have sensibly cut their cloth according to reality this season. We have a 'competitive' budget but we're not risking the whole club's future. I'm very happy with that after the decades of boom and bust, or rather bust followed by another bust... [repeat to fade].

I think a lot of the free-spending clubs of this season's NL are gambling heavily on getting out before any wage cap is applied. I also have a suspicion that with only one automatic promotion place there will be financial tears before bedtime for at least one of them at season's end.

I'd much rather have sensible, even boring, ownership with a steady hand on the tiller as football is in the midst of a transition post-Covid-19. Better to have a well-run club in the 5th tier than no club at all. Having said that, if the Reedtz Bros. decided to splash the cash I reckon they'd have done some very sensible sums first and it would be a much more calculated gamble than many others in this division.

On point 5 the same could be said for AH on a smaller scale. I know that won't be a popular viewpoint of course. Yes he was very silly but it would be hard to deny that he backed the club big time while ever he had access to the money to do so.

It's good strong honest stuff and yes like you I thought there were some obvious similarities to our time under AH.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'd say with the loss of the parachute payments the Reedtz brothers have sensibly cut their cloth according to reality this season. We have a 'competitive' budget but we're not risking the whole club's future. I'm very happy with that after the decades of boom and bust, or rather bust followed by another bust... [repeat to fade].

I think a lot of the free-spending clubs of this season's NL are gambling heavily on getting out before any wage cap is applied. I also have a suspicion that with only one automatic promotion place there will be financial tears before bedtime for at least one of them at season's end.

I'd much rather have sensible, even boring, ownership with a steady hand on the tiller as football is in the midst of a transition post-Covid-19. Better to have a well-run club in the 5th tier than no club at all. Having said that, if the Reedtz Bros. decided to splash the cash I reckon they'd have done some very sensible sums first and it would be a much more calculated gamble than many others in this division.
    I also much prefer sensible Swale. That said, we will be undoubtedly operating at a loss, just a slightly smaller lots than some other clubs. We've got a small squad (22?) and that's probably where we've cut outgoings compared to the past. To bring in players of the quality we have, the wage bill is probable in the top 6 or 8 maybe? That still leaves us vulnerable sadly, though I've got faith that the owners are less volatile that previous incumbents, and hope that they're here for the long term.

Got Radio Derby on. Charlie Palmer, "of all people" is one of two being interviewed. They've noted an increased police presence but question the point of a protest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234