+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this why they pulled out….?

Okay...I accept that I’m financially naive and I’ll, untypically, give way to GP and AF, over all aspects of this issue but here is what I don’t understand.
    Originally - six years ago - I backed MM precisely because he was not only an extremely wealthy and successful man but also a fan...someone who I believed had Derby County very close to his heart. It seems I, and many others, were wrong.
    I accept that it’s all backfired...for both all of us and for him too. I’m both saddened and slightly sickened by the mess he’s left us in, although I do feel a degree of sympathy for MM too.
    Now we are desperate for a new owner, but we are also told that owning a football club is a good way to rapidly make a small fortune...out of a big one!
    So, ego and new toy syndrome apart, can someone please explain why any one, with no previous love for DCFC, would now be willing to pour money into Derby County? What would be there motivation?

Good question rA.
    Ego and new toy syndrome are relevant in some cases but they are usually only interested in an existing success story and not a basket case. Man City and PSG come to mind. Who wants this particular basket case is any bodies guess, a reincarnated Maxwell??
    Let's hope some wealthy oil rich Sheikh mistakes us for a success story!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Okay...I accept that I’m financially naive and I’ll, untypically, give way to GP and AF, over all aspects of this issue but here is what I don’t understand.
    Originally - six years ago - I backed MM precisely because he was not only an extremely wealthy and successful man but also a fan...someone who I believed had Derby County very close to his heart. It seems I, and many others, were wrong.
    I accept that it’s all backfired...for both all of us and for him too. I’m both saddened and slightly sickened by the mess he’s left us in, although I do feel a degree of sympathy for MM too.
    Now we are desperate for a new owner, but we are also told that owning a football club is a good way to rapidly make a small fortune...out of a big one!
    So, ego and new toy syndrome apart, can someone please explain why any one, with no previous love for DCFC, would now be willing to pour money into Derby County? What would be there motivation?
    three words

THE. PREMIER. LEAGUE

A business team with the right mix of skills and a bit of luck could turn Derby into a massive cash cow while still being local heros. Look at Leicester.

And we were so close, who knew at the time that Gary O'Neill's outstretched boot at the 2015 playoff final (I blame that more than Keogh's slip) was the difference between being a Leicester and, potentially, a Bury

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    three words

THE. PREMIER. LEAGUE

A business team with the right mix of skills and a bit of luck could turn Derby into a massive cash cow while still being local heros. Look at Leicester.

And we were so close, who knew at the time that Gary O'Neill's outstretched boot at the 2015 playoff final (I blame that more than Keogh's slip) was the difference between being a Leicester and, potentially, a Bury
    Fair enough...but Leicester really have been an exception, and for everyone of them there’s a Bournemouth, Sheffield Utd, West Brom, Fulham, Huddersfield, QPR etc.
    I think, and hope, it’s unlikely we’ll become the next Bury...although we may not be far from following in the footsteps of their near neighbours, Bolton Wanderers.

For every Hillary at the summit of Mt Everest there are 10 Mallories laid out on the slopes. But this doesn't stop people believing they will be the next Hillary, even though the odds favour being a Mallory.

Dreams and egos drive football investment. It's not the playground for the well to do - being worth 500m doesn't mean you have loads of cash, and you need cash in football. Example, you may well be worth a million (house, cars etc) but still not be able to buy a round down your local without sticking it on your credit card.

Money comes to money, and while some less wealthy clubs may spend a time in the limelight, their life cycle is limited. Only the mega clubs can sustain success as every year demands higher and higher investment to stay there. Leicester have had a few years at the top but give them time and that will end. I'm sure Coventry, Bolton, Charlton, Ipswich et al all thought they had made the grade: where are they now. As did we in the 70s, Forest in the 80s etc

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    For every Hillary at the summit of Mt Everest there are 10 Mallories laid out on the slopes. But this doesn't stop people believing they will be the next Hillary, even though the odds favour being a Mallory.

Dreams and egos drive football investment. It's not the playground for the well to do - being worth 500m doesn't mean you have loads of cash, and you need cash in football. Example, you may well be worth a million (house, cars etc) but still not be able to buy a round down your local without sticking it on your credit card.

Money comes to money, and while some less wealthy clubs may spend a time in the limelight, their life cycle is limited. Only the mega clubs can sustain success as every year demands higher and higher investment to stay there. Leicester have had a few years at the top but give them time and that will end. I'm sure Coventry, Bolton, Charlton, Ipswich et al all thought they had made the grade: where are they now. As did we in the 70s, Forest in the 80s etc
    Yes...I completely get that...it’s more or less what I said. I think only Everton and Arsenal have been in the top tier throughout our lifetime...but that doesn’t help me understand who and why someone is going to step in to save Derby County...especially in the current financial and Covid dominated climate. Or are you suggesting that they probably aren’t?

The thing is GP don't these Hillary's have a contingency plan, don't they think 'what if it goes boobs up, if I fail who picks up the tab'??
    Mel is a Ram so why put the club at risk? He is presumably a clever bloke so surely he covers his back!
    What gets my goat is his 'well fans I gave it a go, you enjoyed the ride but it didn't quite happen and it cost me a big wedge! So, I'm sure you'll understand that the current sh*t is a shame but I'm off now and somebody else can sort the crap out.'
    Sorry Mel but you've forgot one thing you were the custodian of our Club and it's well being was and still is your prime responsibility! You put it's future on the line now your true colours are showing. Thanks for nowt!

You go back further than many, mac...and that’s not an insult, it’s a tribute...so of all the owners...from Longson through Maxwell, Lionel P, the ‘3 Amigos’, GSE and Morris etc...etc...who do you think has been the best and the worst of our owners?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You go back further than many, mac...and that’s not an insult, it’s a tribute...so of all the owners...from Longson through Maxwell, Lionel P, the ‘3 Amigos’, GSE and Morris etc...etc...who do you think has been the best and the worst of our owners?
    Worst Maxwell best Lino, he got so much right, starting with not sacking Jim Smith after the Tranmere match, and always seemed to have a smile on his face

Difficult one rA and one I will ponder. I agree with AF who puts Maxwell as worst. That may change though depending on what happens following MM's recent debacle!
    How do you assess a good Owner/Chairman, success on the pitch, improvements to infrastructure etc, club stability and well being, what state is it in when he leaves, relationship with fans and so on?
    I'll get back to you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)