+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolton Wanderers Post Match Thoughts

Only saw the second half.The player who stood out for me was Rathbone both in defence and prompting attacks,I also was celebrating the Smudge goal cos I was sure it would go in off the post!. I was a bit nervous early second half because they looked quite threatening but we seemed to grab control again after that.With the defence a bit patched up again we prob did quite well. I think Bola on the left shored that side up a bit and he does have a bit of attacking threat as well. If we can sort out a few of his rough edges we could have a left sided harding in the making which would be good for us.

Sadlier. Nice touches but far too lightweight. Warne needs to get him on the weights.

If we can get a settled defence rom the players we have we could have a very good season barring any long term injuries to key players. I think this squad compares well with the squad who took us up last time.

Lets stop pissing about at home now and put Crewe and Wimbledon to the sword and we could very well be in the top 2 then . I have every faith we will get enough points away this season but home form will be key to us going up.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 18-09-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Big shout out to PW and his bold substitutions today.
    At HT we'd effectively won the game assuming we kept it tight.
    Harding for Cheio was absolutely the right call. Stop them trying to play round the outside and we didn't need Cheio by then.
    Same with Lindsay for Barlasser. Tighten up with a bit of steel
    66% with the subs. I would of gone with Kayode instead of Sadlier due to the game being stretched and the chance to use his pace on the counter but that is nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    66% with the subs. I would of gone with Kayode instead of Sadlier due to the game being stretched and the chance to use his pace on the counter but that is nitpicking.
    Yes Sadlier wasn't great when he came on but I think Kayode would have been pummelled by their man mountain CH Almeida Santos who was very quick too

Yes Sadlier wasn't great when he came on but I think Kayode would have been pummelled by their man mountain CH Almeida Santos who was very quick too
    I think you are being a bit unfair on JJ flour, I agree with MT and said when PW brought sadlier on that I thought JJ would have been better for exactly same reason MT said, that his extra pace on the break would have been better.
    I understand what you mean about their man mountain but it was easy for him when we tried to play sadlier in because of his lack of pace, and JJ would have given him more to think about. UTM

Reading the Bolton message boards the phrase most often used about us was "well-drilled". Not something we say about ourselves but the opposition seem to think our coaching team know a thing or two...

..also interesting that they thought the ref did them no favours which, from a Miller's perspective, is hard to fathom.

Enjoyable game to watch, substitutions were well made (notwithstanding Sadlier's rather average performance) and an excellent clean-sheet. Woody's early defending was inspirational and stopped them getting an early goal - which could have taken the game in a different direction.

Onwards and upwards, I hope.

I think their manager came out with a bunch of sour grapes. He thinks they controlled the game. At least their fans saw through it.
    This was what you call a quality away performance. Bish bash bosh. 2-0 up. Changed it around and cruised home. Last weeks horror show banished from memory.

Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I think you are being a bit unfair on JJ flour, I agree with MT and said when PW brought sadlier on that I thought JJ would have been better for exactly same reason MT said, that his extra pace on the break would have been better.
    I understand what you mean about their man mountain but it was easy for him when we tried to play sadlier in because of his lack of pace, and JJ would have given him more to think about. UTM
    I'm not trying to criticise JJ Ronners, it's not his fault he's half the size of their main defender.
    To be fair to Sadlier he did drag the play out wide to the left and kept it away from their keeper who was very good at distributing and getting it forward quickly. I'm sure that was PWs thinking

Just got back and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon in sunny Bolton.We were in control after the first fif**** minutes when they threw everything at us and they could have scored.However after Wilesy's screamer followed by another minutes later, we controlled the match.PW was right to bring on Wes at HT and for all their possession in the second half I don't think Victor had one serious save to make.The midfield played very well and Rathbone amazes me with the enthusiasm he has to get the ball and when he does, he regularly sets an attack up.One word about the atmosphere the fans were tremendous and talking to some Bolton fans they were surprised how many we brought.Well done Warney onwards and upwards.

Another enjoyable game.
    Don't take too much notice of the stats, stats can say many things.
    Best team won.
    Some good performances today, Bola, Rathbone, Woody and a mention for REG, the lad did good.
    Make no mistake Bolton are a decent side, very decent side.
    We nullified Oladapo Afolayon (17) their top scorer.
    A difficult game and another tough one.
    Great atmosphere with almost 21k in the ground, credit to Bolton for the £5 and £10 tickets, well done.
    .. UTM.

I'm not trying to criticise JJ Ronners, it's not his fault he's half the size of their main defender.
    To be fair to Sadlier he did drag the play out wide to the left and kept it away from their keeper who was very good at distributing and getting it forward quickly. I'm sure that was PWs thinking
    I know you weren't trying to criticize JJ flour, but we cant protect JJ just because they had a man Mountain in their defense, but clearly PW maybe thought same as you so put a more experienced player on. UTM

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast