+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Match ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Slocombe 6.5 - not tested enough to merit a high mark, but didn't do a lot wrong.
    Brindley 7 - much better than Tuesday, defended well.
    Taylor 6 - a bit hit and miss, looks for the safe pass a bit too often when he should be crossing it.
    Lacey 7 - more like the Lacey we know. Held us together when Cameron went off.
    Cameron 6.5 - brought the ball out of defence well, hope his injury is a minor one.
    Francis 7.5* - impressed me today. Some really good forward balls and imposed himself more.
    Palmer 7 - not a good first half, but made up for it in the second.
    Roberts 5.5 - nothing seemed to go his way. Flashes of what he is capable of, but a poor penalty and a petulant booking limits his mark.
    Ruben 5.5 - again below par. The slightly deeper role doesn't suit what he is best at, he struggled to get into scoring positions.
    Wootton 6 - can't fault his effort, but he didn't get a lot of service.
    Mitchell 5.5 - I think there's a good player there, but he didn't show it today.

Subs-

O’Brien 6 - typical JOB, some things worked and some didn't, but I love his passion.
    Chicksen 7 - a really good replacement for Cameron. Solid, and a very useful squad member who is a bit unlucky not to start.

Brilliant that we got another 3 points, but this game provided more questions than answers.
    Pretty much agree with your ratings with the exception of Brindley. His man was the only player that got the better of a Notts player regularly, particularly the first half. Brinds and Cam went for the same header from a throw-in against the big lad who flicked it on to the man who Brinds was marking went through on goal in the channel and put his shot wide. The same player played a 1-2 around Brinds and Cal and put in a good cross that resulted in the one memorable save Slocombe had.
    In the 2nd half Brinds and the back 4 were a lot better.

Ruben is a bit of an enigma. I know what you are saying about him being further up the pitch. However, that doesn’t excuse the amount of times he played a poor pass or got caught in possession, which was a lot yesterday. The good thing I like about Ruben is he is capable of doing things most at this level can’t. Wasn’t his day yesterday, but in the end it didn’t need to be.

Some great comments on here about Rodrigues. I think he suits being up top supporting Wootton, as he was at the end of the game and the back end of last season when he looked unplayable at this level. He is a constant goal-threat when he drifts in and around the opponents penalty area and I feel he offers significantly less to the team in the deeper role he is currently starting in.

I thought Maidenhead were the most limited team to visit us so far, and although they had a little go at us in the first 15-20 minutes they couldn’t sustain it and we had a pretty comfortable afternoon, though the score line doesn’t suggest that. It is still concerning that we don’t start matches particularly well, and that we don’t punish teams enough…but IB does at least acknowledge this in his interviews.

Slocombe - Very comfortable, good handling, one or two good saves, good kicking, clean sheet - 7.5

Brindley - Very close to MOTM for me. One of the few defenders brave enough to bring the ball out of defence instead of pottering about with it. Was much much better in closing down his man than he was on Tuesday night and has a touch of class in most of what he does - 7.5

Lacey - My MOTM. Obvious what we’ve been missing when watching him play. Was up against it in the air against Barrett but he won his fair share and only got better as the game wore on. A bit slow on the ball at times but overall classy, strong….and ‘scored’ the goal - 8

Cameron - He is truly hit and miss. He has the bravery on the ball, no doubt about that, but I just don’t think he’s a very good centre half. For his size he doesn’t win many headers in his own box or a physical striker. I’d quite like to see him moved out to LB in place of Taylor as he so dangerous in the opponents half. Rawlo and Lacey in the middle would suit a back four more. Contributed to the goal though and was a shame to see him injured - 7

Taylor - Don’t get it, sorry. Always turning or passing backwards. Clumsy. He scares me every time he gets the ball….I’d like to see what others see but I cringe when I think we’ve effectively lost Miller and ended up with him. One good shot in the second half - 5

Francis - I took the time to watch him yesterday. His positioning and passing is getting better every game. Some of his passing yesterday was sublime….some was a bit ropey, but the talent is there, I think. Biggest downside is his lack of physicality and he struggles when running back towards his own goal - 6

Palmer - Must be a dream to play with. So busy, so comfortable on the ball and surprisingly strong on the ball for a small bloke. His end product wasn’t great but his link up and build up play was pretty good. Both he and Francis would benefit from having another actual midfielder alongside them to help with the physical aspects of the game….O’Brien, Roberts and Rodrigues aren’t the answer to our midfield, KC said we are missing something, and that’s it…a proper midfielder. - 6.5

Roberts - Still one of best players on one of his off days. Still created lots it the penalty miss, the sitter, getting booked for petulance and leaving that ball to go out for a goal kick when it was clear to everyone in the stadium that it was highlighted aspects of his attitude he needs to improve upon. Didn’t feel confident when he stood up for the penalty - 5

Rodrigues- Not the standards we expect from Ruben now. Caught in possession, slow on the ball and no presence…though he did very well for the penalty and did grow into the game when we went back to 3-5-2 and played him alongside Wootton again. We need to get his position right, he’s no midfielder. No idea why he didn’t take the penalty, he takes them so well - 6

Wootton - No chances to score really but his physicality and good feet set up numerous attacks when the ball was played into him when he dropped in deep. Never stops, but was lucky not to be booked in the final minutes for a tackle from behind. Needs much better service from those around him to see the best of him - 6

Mitchell - Not his day. He actually never looks like scoring somehow. On the ball he looks direct and dangerous but he’s never ‘there’ when the ball is around…does he have that instinct? He’s young I guess but there’s a lot of work to do on him yet. I imagine Chesterfield won’t lose any sleep losing him to sign Tshimanga - 5

O’Brien - He at least raises the tempo of the game and it’s no coincidence that when he is introduced our game goes up another gear. I can’t wait for Cameron to finally see one of his great runs and play the ball over to him! - 6

DKE - does exactly what it says on the tin - 6

I don't get Taylor, garbage in the first half superb in the 2nd, looking more solid when Cameron went off and changed formation

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Some great comments on here about Rodrigues. I think he suits being up top supporting Wootton, as he was at the end of the game and the back end of last season when he looked unplayable at this level. He is a constant goal-threat when he drifts in and around the opponents penalty area and I feel he offers significantly less to the team in the deeper role he is currently starting in.
    Agree with this, I don't see RR as a link up man behind the striker but more as a 2nd striker getting in the box.

I think Ruben is capable of both roles - his form will come to the boil soon in whatever attacking mid / no. 10 role he's given.

There is a challenge for IB though in building a side around both Cal and Ruben. I wouldn't write off the kind of team picked to start yesterday just yet. Give it a bit of time.

It's easy for us to forget that the teams IB has been sending out are new - 5 totally new players, plus Cal and Lacey coming back have hardly played with the likes of Ruben either. It'd be astounding if it looked like a well-oiled machine considering all of that. The great thing is that the standard of our individual players and the standard of the coaching is allowing us to win while a team knits together

Ruben is capable of some amazing things so you have to just accept the odd poor touch or bad pass from him otherwise he'd be playing in the Championship, players will make mistakes at this level, that's why they're here. Some of his play in the build up of our moves is top tier and he can be a joy to watch, he also puts in his fair share of running and doesn't mind getting stuck in.

He could have ended the day with 2 assists to his name yesterday (as you get an assist for winning a penalty whether people agree with that or not) and he put it on a plate for Roberts for the other great chance he had.

You notice calls (questions, at least) to stop playing Cal and Ruben in the same team. Absolute nuts!
    Like taking your best ticket out of the NL and just burning it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    You notice calls (questions, at least) to stop playing Cal and Ruben in the same team. Absolute nuts!
    Like taking your best ticket out of the NL and just burning it.
    I remember the days when people were on here actually writing we should drop Grealish..!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123