+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Areas to Strengthen

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Ha! I was thinking this afternoon that the atmosphere felt a bit flat.
    The atmosphere is always a two-way thing. Give us something to cheer and we'll respond. Give us a half of slow backwards and sideways passing and it's had to get excited. In the first half the only save their keeper had to make was an easy one from a Ruben free kick. The atmosphere (like the team) was better second half, and excellent in stoppage time as we willed the players across the line.

Wot about the monorail?

Think it’s more about working out our best formation/line up still rather than anywhere obvious that we need to add to it tbh.

I think we could do with playing someone good/one of the big clubs soon. All feels very within ourselves at the minute.

When those harder fixtures arrive, I think we know the area of the team which will be most under pressure - midfield (now that it's been recognised that we don't have the players for a wing-back system). And we don't have nearly as much depth in the middle as we do up front, especially alternatives for Francis. These tough games will come thick and fast and my dread will probably materialise - countless calls on here for the return of Doyle, which will be absolutely ridiculous - calling for a basically retired, next up 41 year-old to lead a promotion push. There's the next transfer window or the loan market if we're forced into adding depth (or a new first choice holding Mid). At the moment though, I'm still hoping Francis can grow into the role so we can avoid having to go through all the nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    When those harder fixtures arrive, I think we know the area of the team which will be most under pressure - midfield (now that it's been recognised that we don't have the players for a wing-back system). And we don't have nearly as much depth in the middle as we do up front, especially alternatives for Francis. These tough games will come thick and fast and my dread will probably materialise - countless calls on here for the return of Doyle, which will be absolutely ridiculous - calling for a basically retired, next up 41 year-old to lead a promotion push. There's the next transfer window or the loan market if we're forced into adding depth (or a new first choice holding Mid). At the moment though, I'm still hoping Francis can grow into the role so we can avoid having to go through all the nonsense.
    Francis is going to be a good player, needs a bit of time. Wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Vincent soon.

Really hope you're right - he looks a good prospect to me.
    But those games in Oct/Nov will test us. Our forwards will have enough credit in the bank by then and we can put together an excellent back 5 for the NL, so attention will fall on the Mids I think if there's any run of poor results.
    Or maybe it'll all be plain sailing and we won't have to hear that 'bring back Doyle' campaign after all

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Vincent soon.
    Is he still injured or not in favour?

With regards Francis I have to keep reminding myself he's only 21 and that needs to be factored in.

Agree with what's previously been said settling on a formation and of course central midfield. The lack of bite often spoken about it is an obvious concern.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Is he still injured or not in favour?
    Burchnall said he’s fit but we’re unbeaten and winning games so he’ll have to be patient, which seems fair enough.

No question about it, we’re light in midfield. Francis may well turn into a good player, but I doubt whether he’s a regular starter in a promotion winning team.

Christ, Frank Vincent must be poor if Elijah Sam’s on the subs bench ahead of him. I suppose if Sam is on the bench we must be light up front as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast