+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactics and Excuses

Tactics and Excuses

The following comments featured in this evening's LANCS LIVE just about “sum up” MY feelings this evening.
    Fiona J Biltcliffe
    @theAltphotog
    Replying to @AlexJamesSport
    Fast becoming a joke - pity the new players & why does he keep playing Barnes - fast losing my respect for Dyche - in capable of change, trusting
    players who are past their best not up to standard for this league
    2:07 PM · Sep 18, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
    Maxwel Cornet
    Greeted like the Messiah when he came on and showed what he can bring with a lively display 8
    Matej Vydra
    Joined the fray early and was caught in possession to lead to an Arsenal counter but showed his threat by winning penalty that was overturned

I am sure that these will be followed at some point by-[ the shape was right-the results will come-good determination-momentum] from Sean Dyche.
    One comment which to some extent went under the radar this week, was after the new Sean Dyche contract signing (Now the contract has been signed I hope it will encourage some of the players whose contracts are entering the final year to commit)-most of them we should be looking to move on!
    Brighton-Leeds-Everton-Arsenal despite all the puffing and blowing should have yielded 12 points and in the Liverpool game we weren't far away from 1.
    Seans excuse for not introducing Cornet against Everton was-not fully on board with his English -break him in slowly-don't want to put him under too much pressure yet.
    Last season Cornet was playing in the Champions League for goodness sake! If Cornets English wasn't up to scratch then put an interpreter on the bench! Priceless,all of it
    boule longue en morceaux jusqu'au bois (loosely translated lump long ball up to Wood)

My hope for the season was:
    1. to survive whilst hoping the Premier League provided another three “whipping boys” worse than we are-not confident any more.
    2.Sean to “run down” his contract whilst scraping through once again and leave with his reputation and dignity intact at the end of the season- now won't happen.
    Sorry if that upsets a lot of people, as whilst I agree the manager has not been sufficiently supported in past transfer windows his "stubbornness and player loyalty will result in relegation"

Against Everton,once again everyone could see what was happening.
    Solution-withdraw Barnes and Gudjonsson,switch McNeill to the right and introduce Cornet to provide impetus and Pieters to stiffen the midfield.
    Follow up with Vydra who should have been in the starting line up

Seans answer: Lennon and Rogriguez
    I rest my casea
    Last edited by DownThePlughole66; 18-09-2021 at 09:52 PM.

One daft defensive mistake and a VAR intervention cost us a point or three.

We will survive.

Just more tedious moaning, whingeing and nit-picking. This has been building over the last half dozen barren transfer windows, we are where we are because of a lack of investment in the squad over a long period of time. If anyone thinks there is any other reason we are in the bottom three, like we have an incompetent manager for instance, then they must have spent the last three years with a paper bag over their head. This situation has been predicted by numerous posters on this msgboard, it was always going to happen, we could see it coming a mile off, and it's got sfa to do with team selection or tactics. Why is anyone surprised ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    One daft defensive mistake and a VAR intervention cost us a point or three.

We will survive.
    We have a massive issue in that the midfield is so rigid in shape and style of play that they can’t / won’t or aren’t allowed to get far enough up the field to support Wood / Mcneil in the opposition s final third , our central pair don’t beat a man and are always looking to offload the ball but not with any structure or method or kick it in the air and hope.

When was the last time anyone can remember our midfield getting beyond a forward to contribute, we are so reliant now on wood holding the ball in the channels , he gets crowded out and can’t compete with generally 2-3 opposition players.

On the wing we have a wide man JBG who cannot deliver any sort of ball with his right foot , he’s easy to mark as he has to check back and lay the ball off every time he receives it , he also cannot attack a full back and refuses to do so I’m unsure why.

Mcneil switches off and leaves runners but in his defence we are asking a lot of him to be the creative spark and make lung bursting defensive runs after an attack breaks down.

His delivery yesterday were over hit , but I still think Wood should be central if you continue to play the way we are.

Vydra is intelligent mobile and a much better forward than the other s we have he simply has to start - cornet is also a decent footballer looking at his debut he wants to get it down and play give and go s and one twos etc and you can see he wants to run at people which is all positive to me.

Midfield is the downfall and Dyche has no answer at the minute - we won’t score enough goals playing how we do at the moment to survive so we d better start experimenting and with the strongest 11 , it’s all about comfortable for me I think players know they’re starting games and that isn’t healthy as a football team.

While the reluctance of the previous owner to provide finances to improve the first team cannot be overstated and have left our team in a perilous situation.
    However, I still would question if the manager is making the best use of the resources he has available. We have seen at the start of this season Barnes and JBG have to say the least been ineffective, but are in the starting line up every game so far. Last Monday at Everton they were replaced by R-Rod and Lennon which saw no improvement. To his credit Sean Dyche did react yesterday bringing on Cornet and Vydra and we looked a far better side for the last 33 minutes.
    If I remember correctly at the end of last season we looked a better side with Wood and Vydra as our striking partnership, but at the start of this season we reverted to Wood and Barnes.
    The only thing I see that Barnes brings to the game is a nuisance value but he as the appearance of a red card waiting to happen, he was very lucky in the Leeds game the tackle on Dallas was completely unjustified.
    At present I am hoping that the teams fortunes will turn around but if we revert to starting Barnes and JBG at Leicester next weekend then I would certainly question the managers loyalty to players who have been good for us in the past but who are presently not up to standard over younger players who may need game time to reach their potential, without question Cornet and Vydra must be in the starting eleven over Barnes and JBG.

Whilst I agree with sincov that SD has not been supported over the years, I do not think it is “nit - picking” to question his team selections.

Like many on this auspicious website, I question his loyalty to certain players who consistently, at present, do not deliver. My heart sank when I saw the team selection for the Arse match. We were predictable until the introduction of Cornet and Vydra.

Just as everyone could see the need to react to change when Brighton changed in the second half and Benitez changed Everton, everyone is calling out for Cornet and Vydra to start because they can see that the current favoured 11 is not working and will not work.

If we stick with the same team, we will lose at Leicester. If we start with Cornet and Vydra, we may still lose but surely it is worth giving it a go. I would also think about playing Pieters in midfield. Can tackle, can pass, has a good shot on him.

We simply cannot continue with the mantra about fine details, taking positives etc. We have one point from 5 matches and have not won at the Turf for 13 matches. It is not going to change without changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Just more tedious moaning, whingeing and nit-picking. This has been building over the last half dozen barren transfer windows, we are where we are because of a lack of investment in the squad over a long period of time. If anyone thinks there is any other reason we are in the bottom three, like we have an incompetent manager for instance, then they must have spent the last three years with a paper bag over their head. This situation has been predicted by numerous posters on this msgboard, it was always going to happen, we could see it coming a mile off, and it's got sfa to do with team selection or tactics. Why is anyone surprised ?
    I am not surprised Sinkov.The writing was on the wall last season.However the mantra of "I am very pleased with the performances and we just have to take care of the finer details" is starting to wear thin.I have not seen any performances that were pleasing.Huffing and puffing with lots of hoof and hope in between was what I witnessed.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 19-09-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I am not surprised Sinkov.The writing was on the wall last season.However the mantra of "I am very pleased with the performances and we just have to take care of the finer details" is starting to wear thin.I have not seen any performances that were pleasing.Huffing and puffing with lots of hoof and hope in between was what I witnessed.
    And what you have witnessed is no more than I was expecting CiB, given that the owners have refused to finance any investment in the playing squad for the last half dozen transfer windows. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, we can all see things we would do differently during the course of a game if we were manager, I am, like everyone else, bemused by Sean's reluctance to use Vydra more for instance, I just disagree that any of the stuff that he gets criticised for on here makes a blind bit of difference.

I'm fed up with us losing, I'm fed up with us having another relegation battle to endure this season, I'm also fed up with the moaning on here about Dyche, but that's something I can live with, people have the right to moan about Dyche if they so wish, as I have the right to moan about the moaners. And I moan about them because I think they are barking up the wrong tree, we are not in the bottom three because Dyche gets his team selections, tactics and substitutions wrong, although he no doubt does get some of that wrong, we're bottom three because we have neglected to strengthen the squad over a long period of time, not because our manager is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    And what you have witnessed is no more than I was expecting CiB, given that the owners have refused to finance any investment in the playing squad for the last half dozen transfer windows. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, we can all see things we would do differently during the course of a game if we were manager, I am, like everyone else, bemused by Sean's reluctance to use Vydra more for instance, I just disagree that any of the stuff that he gets criticised for on here makes a blind bit of difference.

I'm fed up with us losing, I'm fed up with us having another relegation battle to endure this season, I'm also fed up with the moaning on here about Dyche, but that's something I can live with, people have the right to moan about Dyche if they so wish, as I have the right to moan about the moaners. And I moan about them because I think they are barking up the wrong tree, we are not in the bottom three because Dyche gets his team selections, tactics and substitutions wrong, although he no doubt does get some of that wrong, we're bottom three because we have neglected to strengthen the squad over a long period of time, not because our manager is incompetent.
    No one can deny the brilliant transformation that SD has brought about since he arrived. He will certainly go down in the annals of BFC as one of the best. Deservedly so. Everyone is painfully aware of how his hands have been tied by the lack of financial support that he has been given year on year.

It would be wrong and unfair to suggest that he is incompetent.

As you acknowledge, some of his team selections and tactics are difficult to understand. How on earth he can keep picking Barnes and leaving Vydra on the bench escapes me. He brought Vydra and Cornet on against The Arse and we immediately looked a real threat and troubled their defence.

Surely he must have seen that and have taken note! If he starts with Wood and Barnes against Leicester, I will call it a day, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    No one can deny the brilliant transformation that SD has brought about since he arrived. He will certainly go down in the annals of BFC as one of the best. Deservedly so. Everyone is painfully aware of how his hands have been tied by the lack of financial support that he has been given year on year.

It would be wrong and unfair to suggest that he is incompetent.

As you acknowledge, some of his team selections and tactics are difficult to understand. How on earth he can keep picking Barnes and leaving Vydra on the bench escapes me. He brought Vydra and Cornet on against The Arse and we immediately looked a real threat and troubled their defence.

Surely he must have seen that and have taken note! If he starts with Wood and Barnes against Leicester, I will call it a day, I think.
    Please excuse my little rant Swiss, I was depressed after another close season with not much recruiting done, I was depressed after another start to the season with no wins, and I find it depressing then to read the constant criticism of Dyche on here after every game, but that's fair enough, everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to speak it, indeed that's what this forum is for, so I can live with it, even if I don't agree with some of it.

Then this thread fires up with yet more moaning about Dyche, this time imported from somewhere else, like I said, criticism from fellow posters on here is fair enough, but seeing it imported from elsewhere as well set me off on one.

Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)