+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- RIP Jimmy Greaves

O/T:- RIP Jimmy Greaves

A great player who showed you can pass the ball into the net.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 19-09-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed Off Topic prefix

Saw him play for Chelsea before he went to Italy and again when he scored a hat trick against Man Utd. in the early 60s at White Hart Lane.
    Great player and character, RIP Jimmy.

Brilliant goal scorer R.I.P Jimmy

RIP to a genuine legend.

R.I.P Jimmy

R.I.P Jimmy.

Never saw him play. But Saint and Greavsie was compulsive watching. The only real analysis and punditry on TV before the PL.

I remember a great interview he did with Jean Pierre-Papin when he was moving from Marseille to AC Milan. Papin was the megastar at the time but clearly had great respect for Greaves (who had a spell at AC Milan himself)

One of the best goal scorers I’ve seen. Prolific at Chelsea (132 goals in 169 appearances) and Tottenham (266 in 381). When he left Spurs he was wanted by Cloughie at Derby, but chose West Ham, a move he later regretted. Scored 44 goals in 57 appearances for England. Was unlucky in the 1966 World Cup to get a bad injury against France, and although fit for the final, Ramsey decided to stick with a winning side, so Jimmy’s replacement, Geoff Hurst, kept his place and the rest is history. Jimmy’s Saturday lunchtime show on ITV with Ian St John was a must watch.

R.I.P. Jimmy. A great goal scorer and character.

Another "true" legend of the game leaves us.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Never saw him play. But Saint and Greavsie was compulsive watching. The only real analysis and punditry on TV before the PL.
    Like you, my knowledge of Jimmy Greaves' exceptional football ability and goal-scoring record comes from reading the record books, but my knowledge of the man comes from watching Saint & Greavsie. What a great sense of fun he had, all delivered in such a relaxed style. It's quite poignant that both of these gents who brought humour and warmth to our Saturday lunchtimes have passed away within a few months of each other this year. The tributes to Ian St John included many compliments to both of them for their TV programme, so I hope Jimmy was aware of those affectionate comments, as well as the obvious appreciation for him as a footballer.

RIP.