+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P. Jimmy Greaves

R.I.P. Jimmy Greaves

The finest clinical finisher I ever saw.

One night at SJP he scored 4 out of Chelseas six,a humiliation for the Toon but a great example of finishing by the young Greaves, I felt sick at the time watching this but later appreciated him as a striker.

Years later I read that we had tried to sign him that very night but Jimmy turned us down and went to A.C. Milan.He scored frequently while in Italy but did not like the discipline so come back to play for Spurs and become a legend there.
    Last edited by sherwoodmag; 19-09-2021 at 10:25 AM.

A legend in the game. I loved his sense of humour.

“It’s a funny old game....”

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    The finest clinical finisher I ever saw.

One night at SJP he scored 4 out of Chelseas six,a humiliation for the Toon but a great example of finishing by the young Greaves, I felt sick at the time watching this but later appreciated him as a striker.

Years later I read that we had tried to sign him that very night but Jimmy turned us down and went to A.C. Milan.He scored frequently while in Italy but did not like the discipline so come back to play for Spurs and become a legend there.
    Clinical is the word. I remember watching the best game I ever saw the Toon lose at White Hart Lane when Spurs beat us 2-1.

Greavesy brought the ball in from the right-wing along the bye line and all of the players and the crowd expected a cross as Iam McFaul had the near post covered but he still managed to get it through between McFaul and the post.

It was so tight I swear it touched both the post and the keeper.

It was such an entertaining game that the crowd stood and applauded both teams at the end for ages.

R.I.P. to one of the unforgettable world's greatest.

The best English striker ever and a fantastic sense of humour so many laughs saturday dinner time with the Saint, RIP Jimmy xx

Before my time but I used to love watching Saint & Greavsie on Saturday lunchtime when I was younger. When you think of all the sports comedy shows - They Think it’s All Over, League of Their Own, what Question of Sport evolved into etc., Jimmy Greaves’ sense of humour and natural talent for TV was years ahead of its time. There’s a great documentary about him on BT Sports if anyone hasn’t watched it yet - they are showing it at 10:00 tonight. It’s in the same bracket of quality of the Sir Bobby one on Netflix and well worth a watch.

RIP Jimmy.

Seems almost fitting that Spuds were playing Chelski today.

At ease now Greavsie
    RIP mate.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/32581203

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)