+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Greaves

Jimmy Greaves

I’m not going to put RIP on this thread because by now any caring Football fan will have heard the news by now. The word legend is sometimes used in a carefree manner all too often. In Jimmy’s case, he will be remembered as being more than that. His record as a goal scorer at all levels speaks for itself. His battle against the bottle ought not to be forgotten either, as he fought his way back from the depths of despair.
    To think Geoff Hurst played a major part in 1966 ‘s history making team ,only because Greaves sustained an injury during the tournament. How different that may have turned out in other circumstances.
    I was lucky enough to see him play, when Spurs were “the team” in the 60’s. Whatever compliments and praise gets printed about him , won’t be lavish enough. He was one of a kind, and will never be forgotten. Players like him only come round once in a life time. I’m just glad it was during my lifetime.

He struck fear in my heart when Spurs played us.

It was a great shame he was injured for the 1966 World Cup.

I had the pleasure to meet him once, totally by fluke and he was simply brilliant to have a reminisce with.

R.I.P. Jimmy, you were one of a kind.

Attachment 19957

Jimmy greaves was probably the best centre forward I ever saw. Although I did hate him on that day in 1962 when with 3 minutes gone in the match he scored. My hate soon turned to admiration after that game and along with John White he made that Tottenham team. In those days the best teams were Burnley, Ipswich, Tottenham and Wolves and they all played proper football.
    RIP Jimmy.

How lucky I was to see him play on the Turf in his prime, the best centre forward I've ever seen probably the difference between Spurs being the team of the sixties and not Burnley.Words can't describe how talented a player he was.

The "Big" games at Turf Moor 58/62 were always against Spurs.I remember watching him from the Enclosure and just thinking "Wow".

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    I’m not going to put RIP on this thread because by now any caring Football fan will have heard the news by now. The word legend is sometimes used in a carefree manner all too often. In Jimmy’s case, he will be remembered as being more than that. His record as a goal scorer at all levels speaks for itself. His battle against the bottle ought not to be forgotten either, as he fought his way back from the depths of despair.
    To think Geoff Hurst played a major part in 1966 ‘s history making team ,only because Greaves sustained an injury during the tournament. How different that may have turned out in other circumstances.
    I was lucky enough to see him play, when Spurs were “the team” in the 60’s. Whatever compliments and praise gets printed about him , won’t be lavish enough. He was one of a kind, and will never be forgotten. Players like him only come round once in a life time. I’m just glad it was during my lifetime.
    The greatest goal scorer in our league football
    Regardless of modern strikers.

The BT documentary of his life was brilliant it portrayed all his traits good and bad and how he learned to live with the disease.

It’s sad when all he said is true right back to when his England career was in jeopardy, I’ll
    Also say he was a true football genius , when asked about his greatest ever goal he said it was for Chelmsford I believe in non league when he was a recovering alcoholic.

A gentleman who loved football for what it was like most of us who played at any level it didn’t matter as long as you were playing.

I hope he’s remembered forever he will be by me.

So sorry to hear this news this morning. Smashing player who scored goals for fun. RIP Jimmy Greaves and thanks for the memories.

Mind you, he would never have been a success in modern football because none of these past players were anywhere near as good as the modern, protected footballer.

You gave me some good childhood memories for someone not a Claret.

R.I.P. Legend

not just a goalscorer.....

A shame he had to turn to wrestling to earn some cash, was he off the booze then Norder ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)