+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surely Time To Start Tulloch

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    If we play to the strengths of Grant and Diangana they’ll be on the bench; Zohore’s strength doesn’t even get him on the bench. We should get rid of all of them in January.
    Grant scored 23 last time he was in the Championship for a poor Huddersfield side that finished just outside the relegation zone. Diangana was amazing for us the season we got promoted under Bilic.

These two are not poor players. Sure, they might be low on confidence but they have it in their locker - they've proved it already and are both still very young.

I still see work rate and effort from both, its about getting the best out of them. Launching the ball at their heads from inside our own half with them up against 6ft 5 defenders won't do that.

Isn't Tulloch another wide player? Morton would be a better option if we could recall him but I suspect that isn't an option. He is 22 which isn't young, and looks a proper goalscorer, so he should be given a chance. Toney has proved you can step up from a lower division and be a success. Otherwise it's wait for January and hope we can get the CF Val had last season at Barnsley, which would be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I've missed the last couple of games because of work commitments, so perhaps you've all seen something I missed previously - But in the Peterboro and Millwall games, I don't see how Tulloch would have made any difference because of his size.

We spent £30m+ on Grant and Diangana and our tactic with both seems to be to launch the ball at their head from inside our own half. Against Millwall especially, this was never going to work. It only got better when Hugill came on. I missed the Derby game, but I gather it was identical to Millwall.

Hugill will be needed because he is big and can win a header. That is our game plan now.

What I was hoping for when Val came in was high press, high intensity football, I think we saw it too in the first couple of home games. That's also how to get the best out of our forwards. The Millwall & Peterboro games were poor becuase it looked like the high press dropped.

Guessing the same happened v Derby and Preston?

Without that high press, we can expect plenty of more poor performances, regardless of result. And don't expect much from Grant and Diangana, becuase we aren't playing to their strengths.

I wanted Hugill to start to win some headers but at Preston if I said he didn't win a single one I wouldn't be far off the mark. Diangana did have a reasonable amount of opportunities to run at players and didn't make the most of them. Having said that based on what I saw last week he would be in my best front 3 along with Robinson and Phillips which does of course leave us without a target man. I don't think either Tulloch or Richards fit that description.

Both against Derby and PNE I didn't see a lot of hoof ball. We were the team trying to play football the oppo were launching it long. Playing Townsend in the back 3 is a problem. Preston pushed their big CF onto him simply launched high balls at him to flick on into the big spaces behind. That experiment will hopefully end sooner rather than later with the return of Clarke.

Anyone else notice how much bigger the Preston side were all over the pitch? We do not have a 'big' team.

Quote Originally Posted by billsbest View Post
    Isn't Tulloch another wide player? Morton would be a better option if we could recall him but I suspect that isn't an option. He is 22 which isn't young, and looks a proper goalscorer, so he should be given a chance. Toney has proved you can step up from a lower division and be a success. Otherwise it's wait for January and hope we can get the CF Val had last season at Barnsley, which would be a good option.

Spoke to a Sunderland fan who went to Fleetwood and he said by a long way - Morton was easily the best on the pitch! Why is he there FFS?

We need a proper goalscorer but didn't get one , now we're in the sh it because we all know the strikers we have don't come up to scratch, lost 6pts from the last 3 games piss poor, same old tune actually no worse than the last 2 season's ,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    We need a proper goalscorer but didn't get one , now we're in the sh it because we all know the strikers we have don't come up to scratch, lost 6pts from the last 3 games piss poor, same old tune actually no worse than the last 2 season's ,

Agreed. The quality of the squad though is far worse than last 2 seasons - piss poor in fact Johnny!

The high press in your face football has not materialised the way I expected it to.
    It’s some hybrid version of pass the hot potato and push and rush.
    I expected quick incisive pass and move play with lots of movement, but also with control and thought. A poor man Barca at their best.
    As I said before less haste and more speed. This panic manic erratic play is unsettling, it too error ridden at the moment. Im sure this is not what Val expected either.
    Mind you having a half decent target man would have seen us with another 6 points in my opinion.
    I still have faith in Val as a manager but less so with some of the players.
    Tullock? worthy of a subs appearance i think, but from what others with far more knowledge than me say he is not a obvious number 9 at this level anyway.

I don't have a problem with a high press but I certainly do with 'hoofball'. As far as I'm concerned we've played too much of it in the last four games. We look much better with the ball at our feet instead of lumping it up in an aimless manner. We have the players to cause problems out wide but nobody, unless Hugill comes good, to put the ball in the back of the net. Having said this, it's still a better bet than just booting it upfield. In my opinion, the January transfer window will decide if we go up or not!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Spoke to a Sunderland fan who went to Fleetwood and he said by a long way - Morton was easily the best on the pitch! Why is he there FFS?
    Morton is very much a VI player in terms of effort and commitment. Time will tell whether he has the necessary quality at Championship level. Remember, he's playing at a lower level currently.

As for why he's on loan rather than in the squad he was injured for virtually all of last season. He knackered his shoulder in the gym and required surgery. He's on loan to gain experience and get game time into his legs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)