+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Two of my Favourites have sadly passed away today

Two of my Favourites have sadly passed away today

Firstly the greatest of goalscorers Jimmy Greaves ( did he ever get knighted , and if not why " I had a ten minute chat with him at a Sportsman's Dinner " Dodworth " what a warm loving funny man he was " Class " god bless him ♥,
    Secondly but by no means lesser Boycie off OFAH , proper character and a great actor , so dry and yet so funny , god bless him too ♥
    RIP to you both xx and a big thank you for being part of my life ,

I was a bit too young to see Jimmy Greaves in the prime of his career but I read his autobiography and of course was an avid fan of Saint and Greavsie .

The amount of goals Jimmy scored is actually quite unbelievable but his greatest achievement in my opinion was beating the booze and putting his life back together .

Boycie was part of one of the funniest sit com every to appear on our tv's .

They don't make em like that anymore they really don't .

RIP to them both .

Two lives well lived .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I was a bit too young to see Jimmy Greaves in the prime of his career but I read his autobiography and of course was an avid fan of Saint and Greavsie .

The amount of goals Jimmy scored is actually quite unbelievable but his greatest achievement in my opinion was beating the booze and putting his life back together .

Boycie was part of one of the funniest sit com every to appear on our tv's .

They don't make em like that anymore they really don't .

RIP to them both .

Two lives well lived .
    very appropriate words mate , some may not appreciate what these individuals have created over the year's ? And the pleasure /excitement , hard to replace Icons like these now , with allus got Ant n Dek don't forget !!!

Sad to hear of Greavsies passing. What a player he was. 44 goals in 57 games for England averages out at 0.8 goals per game. I don't think anybody will get any where near that average in the future. Phenomenal strike rate and but for the disappointment of injury in '66 and his slow demise after, I'm certain he'd have scored 60 or 70 in an England shirt.

His battle with alcohol was well documented but not only did he overcome it, he helped and inspired many others in the same boat to overcome their issues. An honest blowk with a dry and intelligent sense of humour. His autobiography is a good read. There's also a great video on YouTube where the late commentator Brian Moore interviews Greaves about his life. Well worth a watch and who could forget the Saint & Greavesie Saturday afternoon analysis? It was a must watch back in the day.

RIP to John Challis, aka Boycie. That distinctive laugh as he generally mocked Delboy was his trademark. Thy ez to smile just thinking abart it.

I am old enough to have watched Jimmy Greaves, what a player. One of my heroes. Was also lucky enough to meet him at an event. Top man, and very funny
    RIP Jimmy

Saint and Greavsie wouldn't work today because the money has made sure you have to take the game more seriously .

Saint and Greavsie never took the game as seriously as they do today , it was fun and they got a wage for doing it and they were happy at that , they didn't know anything else .

Same with OFAH , nobody had to swear or birds get their tyts out for the ratings .

Life was different when they were making OFAH .

It wasn't considered taboo to be on your ass like delboy was most of the time and today it is .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Saint and Greavsie wouldn't work today because the money has made sure you have to take the game more seriously .

Saint and Greavsie never took the game as seriously as they do today , it was fun and they got a wage for doing it and they were happy at that , they didn't know anything else .

Same with OFAH , nobody had to swear or birds get their tyts out for the ratings .

Life was different when they were making OFAH .

It wasn't considered taboo to be on your ass like delboy was most of the time and today it is .
    Good point and the layed back relaxed attitude and humour of Greavsie attracted me as a young lad. Saint was more professional of the two but still game for a laugh and a bit of craic. Let's not forget that they knew their stuff too.

Now we endure Roy Keane and Graeme Souness every Sunday afternoon with little humour or personality. Micah Richards has brought some much needed light heartedness to the proceedings.

Reds v Liverpool FA Cup tie Sunday afternoon KO,
    Saint and Greavsy did the match , Greavsy " well we are familiar with the Liverpool line up , as for Barnsley ? Not sure but they have a Winston Campbell , he could be any colour with that name " or words to that effect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    I am old enough to have watched Jimmy Greaves, what a player. One of my heroes. Was also lucky enough to meet him at an event. Top man, and very funny
    RIP Jimmy
    was that at Monk Bretton Cricket Club Dinner Nozzer ? If so it was a brilliant night ,being in this Iconic often underated Star and speaking to him was unbelievable , as you say a very funny and humble man ☆☆☆☆☆

No, I lived and worked down South at the time, so it was in Salisbury.
    Also, saw Jack Charlton, and when Jack knew me and my mate were from Barnsley he insisted that he had a pint with us, despite his minder trying to get him out of the building 😂