+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jimmy Greaves..Simply the Best!

Jimmy Greaves..Simply the Best!

Sadly passed away yesterday and acknowledged within the game as one if not the best goalscorer of all time and its not many on this board who can say they saw this Genius actually play the game. There are loads of video clips to see his talent and even though he failed to score against us in the FA cup third round when we won 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in about 1961/2 I saw him play in that match plus a few times in league matches when they were playing locally like at Wolves and Burnley in those far off days.

His goals statistics have stood the test of time and this article today in the Telegraph is worth a read. God bless you Jimmy, it was a pleasure to see you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...us-would-have/

Just to say folks and you won't like it....

He was against coaching per se as he thought it diminished natural talent....

Seem to remember that he didn't even put his kit on until 15 mins before kick-off.
    He was very knowledgeable about the 'beautiful game' - would have made a great coach !

I'm old enough to have seen Jimmy Greaves in the late sixties, at Molyneux as well. It was clear that he was operating at a level above the vast majority of other 1st Division players. World class, a privilege to have seen him.
    May he rest in peace.

Mike you can't leave it alone. Coaching, ever hear of Ted Drake?

I also was able to him play and there was no doubting his ability. However, he was the exception, not the rule, in terms of natural talent. I feel that, although he may still have been a success in modern times, he might have found it tougher going against today's drilled and coached defences.
    Anyway, Jimmy, RIP.