+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnsley football club

The point being - those owners during the 60s and into the 70s couldn’t run a whelk stall niver mind a football club.
    Barnsley - a traditional 2nd division club - permanently anchored in the old 4th division.
    A period in time when many football supporters just abandoned Barnsley and started watching Leeds and the Sheffield clubs.
    The impact of which can still be seen to this day as their grand kids have followed their dads and before that their grand dads in supporting these clubs.

So yes - I’m old enough to have witnessed atrocious owners at Barnsley Football Club.
    Chien Lee and the consortium can NOT be classed as one of them.

I loved the late 70's.early 80's --Glavin, Banks,Macca, Evans, Aylott, Parker etc and the mid 90's to 2000, promotion/ Hignett etc.

These chancers come nowhere near as owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I thought 'Out' was his third name so thats why fans called him that.

And anyway going back to whether those were the best days under John Dennis, that is arguable of course.
    Johns dad was chairman when I was there Acido,I can tell you that I was very surprised when Alan Clarke was appointed manager.I remember the first meeting with Alan,he had us all in and his first words to us was,”I am now the boss and what I say goes but I promise you one thing in two years this club will be in the second division “I don’t know where the money came from but new players arrived and Alan got us into the second division.Alan was a smashing lad and when he got to know that my eldest son Michael was joining the Royal Navy he asked me to bring him into the ground.On arriving at the ground Alan took Michael into a room for a private talk with him.Afterwards Alan told me that if Michael could get to any away matches he would arrange tickets for him.Michael did manage to get to some matches and when he saw Michael he always had tickets for him.That was a long time ago because Michael served 27 years in the Royal Navy and now his eldest son is now serving in the Royal Navy,with me being the first we have had 3 generations serving in the Navy.In 2009 I received an invitation from Prince Andrew to attend a party at Buckingham Palace to celebrate 100 years of naval aviation.At the event I was sat with an Admiral of the fleet which is the highest rank in the navy and he was telling me about his time during the war.One of the things he did say was “Never trust the frenchies my boy” I think he was right when you think how the relations with France has turned out.

Hey Filey, was that Ernest Dennis who ran the club, John's dad of course ?.
    It was a few years before my time as a fan when Clarkie was brought in, in the summer of 1978. But Ive heard he brought new interesting ideas with him and the transformation under him was impressive, and it led to immediate promotion of course from the Fourth Division.
    That idea of getting the players to realise their own importance, and that they shouldn't be cleaning their own kits and boots etc. And even more so when he took them down one of the mines to make them realise how lucky they were to be footballers, and not having to do hard graft like the miners did.
    That was unheard of man management for this club at the time wasn't it, and it all worked out in those early years. Yes Ive heard a number of players and fans maybe who didn't take to Clarkie, and thats a shame but I can understand why he rubbed some people up the wrong way.
    Anyway I started watching the team in 1980-81, when Hunter was the manager then and Clarkie had left us for Leeds a few months earlier.
    The 80s do bring back brilliant memories for me as a fan but Im not sure if they were the best years, thats all about opinions of course.
    Last edited by Acido; 20-09-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey Filey, was that Ernest Dennis who ran the club, John's dad of course ?.
    It was a few years before my time as a fan when Clarkie was brought in, in the summer of 1978. But Ive heard he brought new interesting ideas with him and the transformation under him was impressive, and it led to immediate promotion of course from the Fourth Division.
    That idea of getting the players to realise their own importance, and that they shouldn't be cleaning their own kits and boots etc. And even more so when he took them down one of the mines to make them realise how lucky they were to be footballers, and not having to do hard graft like the miners did.
    That was unheard of man management for this club at the time wasn't it, and it all worked out in those early years. Yes Ive heard a number of players and fans maybe who didn't take to Clarkie, and thats a shame but I can understand why he rubbed some people up the wrong way.
    Anyway I started watching the team in 1980-81, when Hunter was the manager then and Clarkie had left us for Leeds a few months earlier.
    The 80s do bring back brilliant memories for me as a fan but Im not sure if they were the best years, thats all about opinions of course.
    Sorry about calling Earnest Arthur it’s the age that has caught up with me plus the fact that I am brain damaged through strokes so I do have an excuse but I wonder what is Young Nudgers excuse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    The point being - those owners during the 60s and into the 70s couldn’t run a whelk stall niver mind a football club.
    Barnsley - a traditional 2nd division club - permanently anchored in the old 4th division.
    A period in time when many football supporters just abandoned Barnsley and started watching Leeds and the Sheffield clubs.
    The impact of which can still be seen to this day as their grand kids have followed their dads and before that their grand dads in supporting these clubs.

So yes - I’m old enough to have witnessed atrocious owners at Barnsley Football Club.
    Chien Lee and the consortium can NOT be classed as one of them.
    Every club has a bad period .

Nottingham Forest were champions of Europe two years running and ended up in league one for three seasons .

Wolves played in the old fourth division in the mid 80's with only two stands open .

Leeds also took three seasons to get out of league one .

Look at Ipswich and Sunderland today , Ipswich have won the FA and UEFA cup and were league champions in the early 60s , so were Burnley who had a good stint in the bottom tier too in the late 80's and 90's .

Our demise came at the same time Leeds United were in their prime and had a huge effect on our attendances .

Liverpool took 30 years to win the league again from a position of winning it for fun back in the day .

Nearly four years nar and still nobody has a clue why this mob are here and what ambitions they have .

The only thing we know is how their own financial prospects came before a football club they once owned in France .

They haven't earned the right to be trusted here by me and it hardly helps when they haven't even paid for the club four years on despite the wealth they have .

Trust em all you want but I'll pass thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    Sorry about calling Earnest Arthur it’s the age that has caught up with me plus the fact that I am brain damaged through strokes so I do have an excuse but I wonder what is Young Nudgers excuse is ?
    Ohh thats a bit naughty lol, Im not getting involved in that one. Nudger's a decent lad though really, and he is one of us at the end of the day.

Btw Filey I think thats really impressive how long you've been a fan, you must have some right juicy stories to tell us all.
    Last edited by Acido; 20-09-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Nudge has been struck down with "gullibility", a condition characterised by swallowing whatever Conway says. Many are affected by this condition.

Some great posts Mr Filey , and thank you , spot on ,great to hear from you , keep safe and well , Regards Roma ♡

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Nudge has been struck down with "gullibility", a condition characterised by swallowing whatever Conway says. Many are affected by this condition.
    ha ha pmsl !!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast