+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnsley football club

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Every club has a bad period .
    Nottingham Forest were champions of Europe two years running and ended up in league one for three seasons .
    Wolves played in the old fourth division in the mid 80's with only two stands open .
    Leeds also took three seasons to get out of league one .
    Look at Ipswich and Sunderland today , Ipswich have won the FA and UEFA cup and were league champions in the early 60s , so were Burnley who had a good stint in the bottom tier too in the late 80's and 90's .
    Our demise came at the same time Leeds United were in their prime and had a huge effect on our attendances .
    Liverpool took 30 years to win the league again from a position of winning it for fun back in the day .
    Nearly four years nar and still nobody has a clue why this mob are here and what ambitions they have .
    The only thing we know is how their own financial prospects came before a football club they once owned in France .
    They haven't earned the right to be trusted here by me and it hardly helps when they haven't even paid for the club four years on despite the wealth they have . Trust em all you want but I'll pass thanks .
    Yes its amazing how every club goes through its good and bad times Animal.
    Notts Forest ehh winning the original European cup twice in a row, and Blackburn and Leicester winning the Premier league (the much more greedy modern day version of the original First Division).
    I was chatting with your Grumpy Rotherham mate earlier lol, about our terrible time of it in 2002. When we followed relegation with administration of course and goodness me those were dark depressing days. The fact that Peter Doyle became our saviour at the end of November 2002, wow it makes you go cold dun't it the more you think about it.
    Last edited by Acido; 20-09-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Some great posts Mr Filey , and thank you , spot on ,great to hear from you , keep safe and well , Regards Roma ♡
    You have just made my day Roma,please get well soon from the eldest tyke on here(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    It’s always been a business.
    It’s just that it swung one way and now it looks like it’s swinging again in the other direction.

Owners.
    Many on here remember a time when for decades players had to get a second job to make ends meet.
    Typical example was Warnock having a stall on Barnsley Market.
    What sort of profit were the owners of Barnsley Football Club making back then ???
    They definitely weren’t spending it on trying to get Barnsley out of the old 4th Division.
    Barnsley for many many years were nothing more than a glorified pub team.
    And the owners sat back and took the money.

Then the pendulum swung the other way and players started to want more money.
    Now we find ourselves with players in the Premier on disgusting amounts of money.
    Owners competing against each other to try and secure the best - and hence most expensive player to ensure success for their club.
    Consequently clubs and owners have become bust.
    Famous clubs with £100s of millions of debt around their necks.

Then along comes Chien Lee and a consortium that takes over unfashionable Barnsley.
    We read that this consortium has a total combined wealth of about £14 BILLION.
    That’s wealth much greater than all the other owners in South Yorkshire and Leeds combined.

Oh … that’s great we have owners now that can out spend most other clubs and buy better players.
    But these owners are cuter than that - they arn’t going to play the same game as other owners in the football league.
    They arn’t going to out compete other clubs in paying players wages.
    These owners come up with a simple but brilliant blueprint of how to make a football club work so they can tap into the stupid money being thrown about by other football league clubs.
    As it happens the consortium drop on a club Barnsley that for years has been failing to compete with the transfer fees and wages in football and started to think differently on how to do things.

Different way of doing things has confused many football pundits as well as supporters.
    Barnsley are no longer playing by the same rules of throwing money at their club.
    These pundits and supporters are thinking in an old fashioned way - an old fashioned way that if implemented would put Barnsley into a mountain of debt.
    For years we have never been able to compete with clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby.
    We can now.

IMO we are fortunate to have this ownership.
    We know that the club when sold will be worth more than it is now and will be free of debt.
    Something solid to build from.

I reckon there was more expenses given to scouts and junior coaches back then than there is now by these tight gets

Some great posts Mr Filey , and thank you , spot on ,great to hear from you , keep safe and well , Regards Roma ♡
    We're you still at the Club when we bought Welsh International Striker !! Ian Walsh ? He was very similar to Neil Warnock in the way of selling items , he also did sell sheepskin Coats ! £40 expensive at the time but around £100 cheaper than those from a shop, I bought one #### first time worn in bad weather , let it dry out , all the glue sticking the lining together came through the suede , my dog liked it though ,, it was put in his basket for him to sleep on ★ Peter Casken eventually managed to get my money back , Moral of this story " don't be ever taken in by the Welsh !!

I allus used to see Peter Casken in queue at Shaw's chipoyle, Station Rd, ivvery Setdi just after 12-00 Midday. It's a small world.

He allus got, "Wun bart", a term which regulars used to order a fish fried without batter--the healthy option. Sum sharted it on reaching the dooaroyle as it had to be pre-ordered but Peter always went in to the wrapping area and quietly and politely asked for it.

I remember once a Grandad was queuing with his grandaughter, abart 9 year old and clearly a posh southerner from overhearing her previous conversation. An old Doduth miner sharted. "Wun bart luv" from the dooaroyle and, after a few seconds the girl said, "Grandpapaar, What did that man say ?" causing much mirth in the queue
    Last edited by SBRed48; 21-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I allus used to see Peter Casken in queue at Shaw's chipoyle, Station Rd, ivvery Setdi just after 12-00 Midday. It's a small world.

He allus got, "Wun bart", a term which regulars used to order a fish fried without batter--the healthy option. Sum sharted it on reaching the dooaroyle as it had to be pre-ordered but Peter always went in to the wrapping area and quietly and politely asked for it.

I remember once a Grandad was queuing with his grandaughter, abart 9 year old and clearly a posh southerner from overhearing her previous conversation. An old Doduth miner sharted. "Wun bart luv" from the dooaroyle and, after a few seconds the girl said, "Grandpapaar, What did that man say ?" causing much mirth in the queue
    A true gentleman Peter Casken , and very knowledgeable especially regarding Football , him and Harold Rushforth we're unsung heroes , they brought a lot of talent through with their training and coaching with Barnsley & District Boys, Can tha still get " wun bart nar " SB ? Purrus wuninn wiart luv , warranutha shart frumpt dooroyle ,

A true gentleman Peter Casken , and very knowledgeable especially regarding Football , him and Harold Rushforth we're unsung heroes , they brought a lot of talent through with their training and coaching with Barnsley & District Boys, Can tha still get " wun bart nar " SB ? Purrus wuninn wiart luv , warranutha shart frumpt dooroyle ,

Doduth is nar a Tory stronghold being in the constituency of that Pen istone/ Stocksbridge Tory lass. Since Shaws chipoyle move to the old Gate Fisheries there has been a subtle trend to the customers becoming mooar and mooar middle class, thrusting, mid 30's types, drawing up in oversized cars..
    It's a joy to hear a beautiful, warm Barnsley accent as they become less widespread.

Summat's not reyt when "Wun bart"/ "Purrus wunnin wiart" starts to dee art.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 21-09-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Harold Rushforth was manager of U11's when I played with Barnsley Boys, Peter Casken was there too. I think Maurice Firth came on the scene later on, I think he lived in Barugh Green or Higham.

When I got to U14 and U15 level the coaches were Roger Whiteley who sadly died in a car accident assisted by Norman Crosby. I later went on to play cricket with Norman who sadly sustained a serious leg injury in the same accident as Roger. Norman now lives in Australia, he came back for a cricket reunion a few years ago. He hadnt changed, he still had the geordie accent.
    They all did a good job for Barnsley kids and gave us a chance of playing representative football. One of the best experiences of my sporting life

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I reckon there was more expenses given to scouts and junior coaches back then than there is now by these tight gets
    Nudger,it doesn’t matter how much money the owners have they can’t go out and spend millions on players because of the Football League rules.They can’t spend more than the club brings in by gate receipts and player sales,otherwise they will end up like Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday with points deduction.So having multi-millionaire owners doesn’t mean much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Harold Rushforth was manager of U11's when I played with Barnsley Boys, Peter Casken was there too. I think Maurice Firth came on the scene later on, I think he lived in Barugh Green or Higham.

When I got to U14 and U15 level the coaches were Roger Whiteley who sadly died in a car accident assisted by Norman Crosby. I later went on to play cricket with Norman who sadly sustained a serious leg injury in the same accident as Roger. Norman now lives in Australia, he came back for a cricket reunion a few years ago. He hadnt changed, he still had the geordie accent.
    They all did a good job for Barnsley kids and gave us a chance of playing representative football. One of the best experiences of my sporting life
    Maurice Firth , another highly respected Gentleman , I think he was a teacher at Racecommon Rd School , he took around 40/45 of us wanabi footballers for trials at Burnley , each player was given around 10/15 mins , we" Burnley" were playing Preston , odd coming from the White Rose County , it was a disaster , nobody had enough time to even slightly impress , Hearing reports after , only one player " looked magical and dictating play" a certain Bryan Flynn , many of us were deemed not good enough and rightly/sadly so , he and a few others were world's apart from the Lads that played on New Street car park and the cricket field in Locke Park,, only vaguely remember them other Coaches Eths , great to be part of how things were , I never got to represent my home Town Football wise , which was disappointing , a few of my mates went on to be good player's and one International Stardom , I did play and represent Barnsley at Golf and Subbeuteo, an honor in many ways to me personally ♥

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast