Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: Barnsley football club

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    442

    Barnsley football club

    I know I am now an old man who lives of the many memories of our great football club but I think the owners know next to nothing about English football.After all how many famous clubs and players have come out of China and the USA?
    I understand what they are trying to do with bringing in a load of young players to develop into saleable assets but young players develop quicker with 2 or 3 older and more experienced players to learn from.We are crying out for experience in the team to help these good but young kids that are doing their best.I donít think you can expect to put a bunch of kids into a Championship team and expect them to get promotion or into the play offs.OK so they did well last season but it was the style of play and extra substitutes that made the difference and it wouldnít take any good coach to suss that system out.When you think of Darren Dyke who did very well playing and scoring for us but I donít think he would have scored many goals with the style of play this season.OK he did very well with Barnsley and the papers were raving about him but he is back where he started and his club have had no offers for him.Even when top strikers are being transfered for over 100 million his club has failed to get the 17 million they want for him.Donít get me wrong I would have him back in a flash because he is better than the strikers we already have and hope we can get him on loan again this season.
    The thing that upsets me most is the owners and Billy Bean is treating our club like a computer video game our young players and some are very good are not pictures in a video game,they are young men who are doing their best for the club but lacking the help of some experienced and older players to play along side them.
    The above are the thoughts of an old man who has loved Barnsley Football Club for over 70 years and yes I was the under 18s youth team manager in the 1970s and worked with Bob Earnshaw and Jeff Lees with the juniors in the old Intermediate League.I have very fond memories of the managers which were John McSeveny,Jim Isley and our own Alan Clarke along with John Steele our old favourite Rimmo,Gordon Pallister and Charlie Williams who played in the same Doncaster team as my brother.I had to pack in after collapsing at a training night on the old Queens ground training pitch.I wish these owners would treat are old club with the dignity it deserves and not as a video game.
    I am now in my 80s and still say to get rid of me they will have to shoot me and there I rest my case.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    19,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    I know I am now an old man who lives of the many memories of our great football club but I think the owners know next to nothing about English football.After all how many famous clubs and players have come out of China and the USA?
    I understand what they are trying to do with bringing in a load of young players to develop into saleable assets but young players develop quicker with 2 or 3 older and more experienced players to learn from.We are crying out for experience in the team to help these good but young kids that are doing their best.I donít think you can expect to put a bunch of kids into a Championship team and expect them to get promotion or into the play offs.OK so they did well last season but it was the style of play and extra substitutes that made the difference and it wouldnít take any good coach to suss that system out.When you think of Darren Dyke who did very well playing and scoring for us but I donít think he would have scored many goals with the style of play this season.OK he did very well with Barnsley and the papers were raving about him but he is back where he started and his club have had no offers for him.Even when top strikers are being transfered for over 100 million his club has failed to get the 17 million they want for him.Donít get me wrong I would have him back in a flash because he is better than the strikers we already have and hope we can get him on loan again this season.
    The thing that upsets me most is the owners and Billy Bean is treating our club like a computer video game our young players and some are very good are not pictures in a video game,they are young men who are doing their best for the club but lacking the help of some experienced and older players to play along side them.
    The above are the thoughts of an old man who has loved Barnsley Football Club for over 70 years and yes I was the under 18s youth team manager in the 1970s and worked with Bob Earnshaw and Jeff Lees with the juniors in the old Intermediate League.I have very fond memories of the managers which were John McSeveny,Jim Isley and our own Alan Clarke along with John Steele our old favourite Rimmo,Gordon Pallister and Charlie Williams who played in the same Doncaster team as my brother.I had to pack in after collapsing at a training night on the old Queens ground training pitch.I wish these owners would treat are old club with the dignity it deserves and not as a video game.
    I am now in my 80s and still say to get rid of me they will have to shoot me and there I rest my case.
    It's a business before it's anything else Filey in this day and age .

    The money men have come in and they run the clubs for the most part to suit whatever agenda they have in owning a football club .

    The fans have very little voice and if the truth be told are as fickle as they come and are played by these people to the max .

    Man Utd fans broke in to Old Trafford last season and had their game against Liverpool called off as a protest against the owners .

    They sign an ageing 36 year old ex superstar of theirs and pay him £500k a week and everything is forgotten .

    Meanwhile the owners having shifted the heat of them will continue to find a way to create a European Super League that ensures they make absolute millions out of the club .

    Fans are fickle , owners know how to manipulate them .

    It's an unfortunate combination .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a business before it's anything else Filey in this day and age .

    The money men have come in and they run the clubs for the most part to suit whatever agenda they have in owning a football club .

    The fans have very little voice and if the truth be told are as fickle as they come and are played by these people to the max .

    Man Utd fans broke in to Old Trafford last season and had their game against Liverpool called off as a protest against the owners .

    They sign an ageing 36 year old ex superstar of theirs and pay him £500k a week and everything is forgotten .

    Meanwhile the owners having shifted the heat of them will continue to find a way to create a European Super League that ensures they make absolute millions out of the club .

    Fans are fickle , owners know how to manipulate them .

    It's an unfortunate combination .
    Itís always been a business.
    Itís just that it swung one way and now it looks like itís swinging again in the other direction.

    Owners.
    Many on here remember a time when for decades players had to get a second job to make ends meet.
    Typical example was Warnock having a stall on Barnsley Market.
    What sort of profit were the owners of Barnsley Football Club making back then ???
    They definitely werenít spending it on trying to get Barnsley out of the old 4th Division.
    Barnsley for many many years were nothing more than a glorified pub team.
    And the owners sat back and took the money.

    Then the pendulum swung the other way and players started to want more money.
    Now we find ourselves with players in the Premier on disgusting amounts of money.
    Owners competing against each other to try and secure the best - and hence most expensive player to ensure success for their club.
    Consequently clubs and owners have become bust.
    Famous clubs with £100s of millions of debt around their necks.

    Then along comes Chien Lee and a consortium that takes over unfashionable Barnsley.
    We read that this consortium has a total combined wealth of about £14 BILLION.
    Thatís wealth much greater than all the other owners in South Yorkshire and Leeds combined.

    Oh Ö thatís great we have owners now that can out spend most other clubs and buy better players.
    But these owners are cuter than that - they arnít going to play the same game as other owners in the football league.
    They arnít going to out compete other clubs in paying players wages.
    These owners come up with a simple but brilliant blueprint of how to make a football club work so they can tap into the stupid money being thrown about by other football league clubs.
    As it happens the consortium drop on a club Barnsley that for years has been failing to compete with the transfer fees and wages in football and started to think differently on how to do things.

    Different way of doing things has confused many football pundits as well as supporters.
    Barnsley are no longer playing by the same rules of throwing money at their club.
    These pundits and supporters are thinking in an old fashioned way - an old fashioned way that if implemented would put Barnsley into a mountain of debt.
    For years we have never been able to compete with clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby.
    We can now.

    IMO we are fortunate to have this ownership.
    We know that the club when sold will be worth more than it is now and will be free of debt.
    Something solid to build from.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 20-09-2021 at 07:22 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    It’s always been a business.
    It’s just that it swung one way and now it looks like it’s swinging again in the other direction.

    Owners.
    Many on here remember a time when for decades players had to get a second job to make ends meet.
    Typical example was Warnock having a stall on Barnsley Market.
    What sort of profit were the owners of Barnsley Football Club making back then ???
    They definitely weren’t spending it on trying to get Barnsley out of the old 4th Division.
    Barnsley for many many years were nothing more than a glorified pub team.
    And the owners sat back and took the money.

    Then the pendulum swung the other way and players started to want more money.
    Now we find ourselves with players in the Premier on disgusting amounts of money.
    Owners competing against each other to try and secure the best - and hence most expensive player to ensure success for their club.
    Consequently clubs and owners have become bust.
    Famous clubs with £100s of millions of debt around their necks.

    Then along comes Chien Lee and a consortium that takes over unfashionable Barnsley.
    We read that this consortium has a total combined wealth of about £14 BILLION.
    That’s wealth much greater than all the other owners in South Yorkshire and Leeds combined.

    Oh … that’s great we have owners now that can out spend most other clubs and buy better players.
    But these owners are cuter than that - they arn’t going to play the same game as other owners in the football league.
    They arn’t going to out compete other clubs in paying players wages.
    These owners come up with a simple but brilliant blueprint of how to make a football club work so they can tap into the stupid money being thrown about by other football league clubs.
    As it happens the consortium drop on a club Barnsley that for years has been failing to compete with the transfer fees and wages in football and started to think differently on how to do things.

    Different way of doing things has confused many football pundits as well as supporters.
    Barnsley are no longer playing by the same rules of throwing money at their club.
    These pundits and supporters are thinking in an old fashioned way - an old fashioned way that if implemented would put Barnsley into a mountain of debt.
    For years we have never been able to compete with clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby.
    We can now.

    IMO we are fortunate to have this ownership.
    We know that the club when sold will be worth more than it is now and will be free of debt.
    Something solid to build from.
    Nudger,I was at the club the same time as Neil Warnock and I can tell you he was not short of a bob or two,for a start he owned two greengrocers shops in Sheffield and used to supply the players and other people in the club with fruit and veg.He was also a qualified Chiropodist I think he had a practice in Sheffield and also looked after the other players feet which I would think he was paid by the club.Also he could supply you with anything you wanted,he was the original Del Trotter and Arthur Dailey combined but a lot smarter than them.He offered me a new sheepskin coat when they were in fashion but I didn’t need one,as I said he could get you anything.But he never tried to rip anyone off and was a smashing lad.I have always admired Neil and followed his progress in the game.I think he would have made a good manager at Barnsley and made a success of the team if he had come back to us but that is my opinion.Also Nudge I never knew of any players at Barnsley having a second job.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a business before it's anything else Filey in this day and age .

    The money men have come in and they run the clubs for the most part to suit whatever agenda they have in owning a football club .

    The fans have very little voice and if the truth be told are as fickle as they come and are played by these people to the max .

    Man Utd fans broke in to Old Trafford last season and had their game against Liverpool called off as a protest against the owners .

    They sign an ageing 36 year old ex superstar of theirs and pay him £500k a week and everything is forgotten .

    Meanwhile the owners having shifted the heat of them will continue to find a way to create a European Super League that ensures they make absolute millions out of the club .

    Fans are fickle , owners know how to manipulate them .

    It's an unfortunate combination .
    Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    Nudger,I was at the club the same time as Neil Warnock and I can tell you he was not short of a bob or two,for a start he owned two greengrocers shops in Sheffield and used to supply the players and other people in the club with fruit and veg.He was also a qualified Chiropodist I think he had a practice in Sheffield and also looked after the other players feet which I would think he was paid by the club.Also he could supply you with anything you wanted,he was the original Del Trotter and Arthur Dailey combined but a lot smarter than them.He offered me a new sheepskin coat when they were in fashion but I didn’t need one,as I said he could get you anything.But he never tried to rip anyone off and was a smashing lad.I have always admired Neil and followed his progress in the game.I think he would have made a good manager at Barnsley and made a success of the team if he had come back to us but that is my opinion.Also Nudge I never knew of any players at Barnsley having a second job.
    Warnock did.
    And Iím sure supporters from that era will remember stories of others having second jobs and gadging lifts to games.
    I remember a tale of one of the players having a milk round.

    Can anyone remember the first thing that happened during the Alan Clarke revolution ???
    He supplied the players with soap and towels.
    Before that time the players had to provide their own.
    What were the owners of that time doing with the gate money !?!?!
    An era when Barnsley supporters should have had a genuine gripe against the owners.

    At the same time Leeds - a 2nd division club - was building to become the giant they are today.
    Exodus of thousands of Barnsley people going to watch Leeds - some of their grand children are attending matches to this day - while Barnsley at the time under those owners was seen as a sad joke.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Warnock did.
    And I’m sure supporters from that era will remember stories of others having second jobs and gadging lifts to games.
    I remember a tale of one of the players having a milk round.

    Can anyone remember the first thing that happened during the Alan Clarke revolution ???
    He supplied the players with soap and towels.
    Before that time the players had to provide their own.
    What were the owners of that time doing with the gate money !?!?!
    An era when Barnsley supporters should have had a genuine gripe against the owners.

    At the same time Leeds - a 2nd division club - was building to become the giant they are today.
    Exodus of thousands of Barnsley people going to watch Leeds - some of their grand children are attending matches to this day - while Barnsley at the time under those owners was seen as a sad joke.
    Nudger,I will say again Neil Warnock didn’t have any second jobs,he started his business’s so he had something after he had finished playing and did a very good job.And I don’t know where you are getting these stories about players having second jobs and having to cadge lifts to get to the ground.Even in those days the players had their own cars.I was there at the time and you were not.I myself was paid expenses to travel into the ground for training during the week and matches at weekend with the youth teams,the youth team players also received travel expenses to get to the ground so your stories are totally untrue,get your facts right before you write your stories.There was a lot of problems in the club during those times but first team players having second jobs and having to cadge lifts into the ground was not one of them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a business before it's anything else Filey in this day and age .

    The money men have come in and they run the clubs for the most part to suit whatever agenda they have in owning a football club .

    The fans have very little voice and if the truth be told are as fickle as they come and are played by these people to the max .

    Man Utd fans broke in to Old Trafford last season and had their game against Liverpool called off as a protest against the owners .

    They sign an ageing 36 year old ex superstar of theirs and pay him £500k a week and everything is forgotten .

    Meanwhile the owners having shifted the heat of them will continue to find a way to create a European Super League that ensures they make absolute millions out of the club .

    Fans are fickle , owners know how to manipulate them .

    It's an unfortunate combination .
    Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    Nudger,I will say again Neil Warnock didn’t have any second jobs,he started his business’s so he had something after he had finished playing and did a very good job.And I don’t know where you are getting these stories about players having second jobs and having to cadge lifts to get to the ground.Even in those days the players had their own cars.I was there at the time and you were not.I myself was paid expenses to travel into the ground for training during the week and matches at weekend with the youth teams,the youth team players also received travel expenses to get to the ground so your stories are totally untrue,get your facts right before you write your stories.There was a lot of problems in the club during those times but first team players having second jobs and having to cadge lifts into the ground was not one of them.
    How do you know I wasnít there at that time ?
    Cos thatís wrong.
    I was.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,057
    The main point being - there are a handful on here that portray the past owners as being good old boys that were fully committed to the club.
    That portrayal is wrong.
    They sucked every last penny from the club.
    Itís only when the Dennis family got more involved that things started to change for the better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    The main point being - there are a handful on here that portray the past owners as being good old boys that were fully committed to the club.
    That portrayal is wrong.
    They sucked every last penny from the club.
    It’s only when the Dennis family got more involved that things started to change for the better.
    The same Dennis' that put the club into admin.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    The same Dennis' that put the club into admin.
    Yes - he held onto the club a bit too long.
    And with all accounts (I donít know whether true or not) he refused help from Patrick.
    BUT - Iím sure most will agree - we had the best years under Big JD.
    And - he built the stadium and training facilities that are still there to this day.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •