I know I am now an old man who lives of the many memories of our great football club but I think the owners know next to nothing about English football.After all how many famous clubs and players have come out of China and the USA?
I understand what they are trying to do with bringing in a load of young players to develop into saleable assets but young players develop quicker with 2 or 3 older and more experienced players to learn from.We are crying out for experience in the team to help these good but young kids that are doing their best.I don’t think you can expect to put a bunch of kids into a Championship team and expect them to get promotion or into the play offs.OK so they did well last season but it was the style of play and extra substitutes that made the difference and it wouldn’t take any good coach to suss that system out.When you think of Darren Dyke who did very well playing and scoring for us but I don’t think he would have scored many goals with the style of play this season.OK he did very well with Barnsley and the papers were raving about him but he is back where he started and his club have had no offers for him.Even when top strikers are being transfered for over 100 million his club has failed to get the 17 million they want for him.Don’t get me wrong I would have him back in a flash because he is better than the strikers we already have and hope we can get him on loan again this season.
The thing that upsets me most is the owners and Billy Bean is treating our club like a computer video game our young players and some are very good are not pictures in a video game,they are young men who are doing their best for the club but lacking the help of some experienced and older players to play along side them.
The above are the thoughts of an old man who has loved Barnsley Football Club for over 70 years and yes I was the under 18s youth team manager in the 1970s and worked with Bob Earnshaw and Jeff Lees with the juniors in the old Intermediate League.I have very fond memories of the managers which were John McSeveny,Jim Isley and our own Alan Clarke along with John Steele our old favourite Rimmo,Gordon Pallister and Charlie Williams who played in the same Doncaster team as my brother.I had to pack in after collapsing at a training night on the old Queens ground training pitch.I wish these owners would treat are old club with the dignity it deserves and not as a video game.
I am now in my 80s and still say to get rid of me they will have to shoot me and there I rest my case.