+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Rochdale EFL Cup 3rd Round Match Preview

Burnley v Rochdale EFL Cup 3rd Round Match Preview

Unfortunately on Saturday the Clarets chose to defend an Arsenal freekick with a rather flimsy Burnley Wall when constructing a fully guarded Berlin Wall would have been a tad more effective. The Gunners somewhat fortuitously held on to that single goal lead despite a stronger second half showing from the hosts. There have now been no home wins for the Clarets since 27 January when they twice came from behind to defeat Aston Villa 3-2. They will have no better chance to end that barren run than on Tuesday evening. A penalty shoot out win at Newcastle in the last round of the EFL Cup has earned Burnley a home draw against Lancashire neighbours Rochdale who were relegated to League 2 at the end of last season.

It is likely that Sean Dyche will make several changes to the side that faced Arsenal with both Hennessey and Collins likely to start. Maxwel Cornet who made his Clarets debut as a second half substitute against Arsenal could also start with Vydra taking one of the striker spots. This is the first meeting between the two sides in any competition since December 1993 when Burnley won 4-1 in an FA Cup 2nd round tie that featured a David Eyres hat-trick and three red cards. Rochdale will themselves be aiming to go beyond the 3rd round of this competition for the first time since 1961/62 when they reached the Final.

A personal trip down memory lane took me back to May 1992 when my visit to Spotland saw Burnley come from a goal down to win 3-1 with Measham, Conroy and Painter on target for the Clarets. If I recall correctly Robbie Painter’s goal was the last goal to be scored in the old Division 4 (excluding the end of season play offs). Happy days with Jimmy Mullen’s Claret & Blue Army.

COYC!

I fear another early exit at the hands of a League 2 Club.

Another footnote regarding Rochdale, and I'm trusting my memory on this, I stand to be corrected, but I think I'm right. We played a pre-season friendly at Spotland in August 2011, just over 10 years ago, we'd just signed Danny Ings from Bournemouth and in this game he was playing, for some unknown reason, in midfield, he got a right clattering from some Rochdale goon which put him out for 6 months, and it was February before he made his League debut for us. I'm not saying he was selected to play midfield, he possibly started up front and was moved into midfield during the course of the game, they do tend to swop around a bit pre-season, but he was certainly operating from midfield when he was knobbled.

I recall this because I was so excited by the signing of Ings, that I immediately put a bet on him to be top goalscorer in the Championship that season, and then he's almost instantly out for six months before the season's even started. Bloody typical.
    Last edited by sinkov; 20-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Another banana skin awaits. We never fail to slip up. I suppose that teams in lower divisions up their game as we are a PL scalp.

I wish that we would up our game to make sure we win.

Against The Arse in the first half we tried to play the Arse way, not the Burnley way. I hope we don’t play the “Rochdale way”, whatever that might be. We should be beating teams like this 3 - 0 at least.

Now will be the time to play Vydra, Cornet and Collins. Let the young lad who scored in pre - season have a go, as well as Bobby Thomas. SD can always bring on Woods or JayRod if we are struggling.

Lewis Richardson is the young player I was thinking of. Give him some experience. He can’t do any worse than our current strikers with zero goals between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Lewis Richardson is the young player I was thinking of. Give him some experience. He can’t do any worse than our current strikers with zero goals between them.
    I've watched Richardson's career trajectory with avid interest.

About 8 seasons ago I was ridiculed on here for saying Trippier would play for England. I believe Richardson will too.

Richardson had to come off through injury in the first half of the Under 23's game at Southampton yesterday afternoon. He was replaced by young Sam Unwin who scored in added time at the end of the first half and who was later brought down in the box to get a penalty which was taken by Max Thompson and brought a great save from the substitute keeper who was on because the original Saints keeper was dismissed after pulling down Joe McGlynn who was through on goal.
    The clinching goal was scored by Ne-Jai Tucker direct from a free kick with 15 minutes to go.

The Dream Team playing, Jay and Vydra up front, Lennon and Cornet on the wings. What could possibly go wrong ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)