Unfortunately on Saturday the Clarets chose to defend an Arsenal freekick with a rather flimsy Burnley Wall when constructing a fully guarded Berlin Wall would have been a tad more effective. The Gunners somewhat fortuitously held on to that single goal lead despite a stronger second half showing from the hosts. There have now been no home wins for the Clarets since 27 January when they twice came from behind to defeat Aston Villa 3-2. They will have no better chance to end that barren run than on Tuesday evening. A penalty shoot out win at Newcastle in the last round of the EFL Cup has earned Burnley a home draw against Lancashire neighbours Rochdale who were relegated to League 2 at the end of last season.

It is likely that Sean Dyche will make several changes to the side that faced Arsenal with both Hennessey and Collins likely to start. Maxwel Cornet who made his Clarets debut as a second half substitute against Arsenal could also start with Vydra taking one of the striker spots. This is the first meeting between the two sides in any competition since December 1993 when Burnley won 4-1 in an FA Cup 2nd round tie that featured a David Eyres hat-trick and three red cards. Rochdale will themselves be aiming to go beyond the 3rd round of this competition for the first time since 1961/62 when they reached the Final.

A personal trip down memory lane took me back to May 1992 when my visit to Spotland saw Burnley come from a goal down to win 3-1 with Measham, Conroy and Painter on target for the Clarets. If I recall correctly Robbie Painter’s goal was the last goal to be scored in the old Division 4 (excluding the end of season play offs). Happy days with Jimmy Mullen’s Claret & Blue Army.

COYC!