+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kewell and Searle sacked

I wonder how he feels about his Notts experience...

I bet he believes we wouldn't be non-league if he'd been allowed to call the shots...
    At that time, his sacking was still based on us being right down there rather than a 'let's survive this, 22nd place and up, that's all' because look what happened next....
    My guess is that he feels more bitter about Notts than Oldham/Barnet.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 20-09-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I'm all for sacking managers who given a reasonable amount of time don't appear to be up to the job but 7 games to turn around a team who finished rank bottom, (I'm not including Dover), last season? Most prob on a smallish budget as well, that's a joke.
    Agree with you on that.

The rumours are that Kewell very quickly alienated some of the senior players at Notts which led to a changing room divide. If he has done something similar at Barnet, it could be a case of we can’t afford to bring in a number of new players so the cheaper option is Kewell goes.
    I think he is typically Australian in that he can be quite brash.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I'm all for sacking managers who given a reasonable amount of time don't appear to be up to the job but 7 games to turn around a team who finished rank bottom, (I'm not including Dover), last season? Most prob on a smallish budget as well, that's a joke.
    And I thought the amount of games he had at Notts was laughably short. 7?!?

Whoever comes in needs to sort them out defensively, Clean Harry's team was letting in almost 3 a game average! Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Feel sorry for him, he's had some bad breaks, would Crawley take him back at any point?
    Couldn't he be assistant coach somewhere for a while? Does managing in Australia pay or is he basically UK-based now?
    Hmm, this is turning out to be an interview down the job centre, better leave it there
    This. Feel abit sorry for him really, he's always at clubs doing crap and I thought was unlucky at Notts as I think he might have kept us up. I think an assistant role and let his reputation come up abit might be a good idea. He was a good player and probably ends up getting mad at the rubbish he sees from some players at these clubs, calls them out and the players kick off. Easier to sack the manager obviously so off he goes again.

Ex Shots player Mark Molesely taken over from Danny Searle … quick work!

Is Kewell the unluckiest manager going or does he have a knack of upsetting people, winding them up and going out of his way to find an argument.
    A personality defect if you will, I here his nickname around the football circuit was laddo...xx

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Is Kewell the unluckiest manager going or does he have a knack of upsetting people, winding them up and going out of his way to find an argument.
    A personality defect if you will, I here his nickname around the football circuit was laddo...xx
    😂

Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The rumours are that Kewell very quickly alienated some of the senior players at Notts which led to a changing room divide. If he has done something similar at Barnet, it could be a case of we can’t afford to bring in a number of new players so the cheaper option is Kewell goes. I think he is typically Australian in that he can be quite brash.
    I always wondered whether the narrative around his departure from Notts was fair or whether player power had won out because Alan Hardy was in such a weak position by then. We gathered that he had upset at least some in the dressing room, but you could say he had just cause to do so, and that somebody needed to shake things up.

His subsequent departures from Oldham and Barnet maybe suggest that there is something more fundamentally wrong with his approach, because you surely can't be unlucky everywhere. Whatever the truth, it would seem unlikely he'll get back into a football management role at any decent level soon, because his 'stock' is now seriously devalued.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Feel sorry for him, he's had some bad breaks, would Crawley take him back at any point?
    Couldn't he be assistant coach somewhere for a while? Does managing in Australia pay or is he basically UK-based now?
    Hmm, this is turning out to be an interview down the job centre, better leave it there
    It's the close season now here and it's only a small one division league with 12 teams. I am sure he'd be welcome with open arms over here. Most of the sports management in this country smacks of arrogance often well placed sometimes not. Perhaps he can get a job working for Alan as a Caddie?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast