+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connolly

Met Connolly at hospo with Sean Dillon - nice guy, bit mental even there after 2-0 win at dens. I have heard reynolds is also for the off if a compromise agreed. Ahead of them both for CB must be - Edwards, Mulgrew, K Smith, Neilson, Freeman, Butcher (if needed in an absolute emergency). I think McMann and L Smith can play there too. Not bad options and both have done well at the club but there time is up. So really i think Connolly is 5th choice

Wish him well if true

Definitely will be daft to both him and Reynolds go, one bad injury and could derail our season not having Reynolds available to come in

One of them yes we have the other plus those listed but hopefully we have wisened up and wouldn't be so stupid to let both go

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    Met Connolly at hospo with Sean Dillon - nice guy, bit mental even there after 2-0 win at dens. I have heard reynolds is also for the off if a compromise agreed. Ahead of them both for CB must be - Edwards, Mulgrew, K Smith, Neilson, Freeman, Butcher (if needed in an absolute emergency). I think McMann and L Smith can play there too. Not bad options and both have done well at the club but there time is up. So really i think Connolly is 5th choice
    Can't agree with this. We shouldn't be relying on players from other positions to fill in, ie Butcher, Freeman, McMann, Smith. Not only are they playing an unnatural position, it then leaves us trying to cover their own positions and weakens another part of the team. Relying on a couple of kids is also gamble. Look at Smith at the weekend. Clearly not ready for a high intensity 90 minutes and I'm not convinced Neilson is even good enough. We should have at least one ready made replacement as cover for each position. Letting both Connolly & Reynolds go would be a massive gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Can't agree with this. We shouldn't be relying on players from other positions to fill in, ie Butcher, Freeman, McMann, Smith. Not only are they playing an unnatural position, it then leaves us trying to cover their own positions and weakens another part of the team. Relying on a couple of kids is also gamble. Look at Smith at the weekend. Clearly not ready for a high intensity 90 minutes and I'm not convinced Neilson is even good enough. We should have at least one ready made replacement as cover for each position. Letting both Connolly & Reynolds go would be a massive gamble.
    I agree with this.....

It would be great to have real back-up in every position, hard I know, but playing players in unnatural positions gives me the fear. Young Smith is a great example, as much as I was chuffed to bits for him personally, the majority of the danger was coming down that flank. Didn't help that Niski was like a rabbit in the headlights and leaving two on one. Unfair I know, but he needs a few impact subbie matches when players might be tiring, to get him in the swing of things.

The full back position is a perfect example, one of the most exposed positions on the park, and if you ain't a proper full back your positioning and reading of the game etc won't be too good, and worrying about how you are doing , and normally playing against one of the other teams best players is gonna make it a long troublesome game.

We do have cover in most places, lets just stick to that if possible

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Rumours elsewhere that he's agreed a contract termination.
    Maybe those rumours were false? No confirmation from the club on this last time I looked.

Heard this tonight at the game

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Heard this tonight at the game
    Heard that the rumours were false or true ?

We now have possible injury to Mulgrew as well

Watching the training clips from yesterday which are shown during Tam's interview and Connolly is still training with the team, so he isn't away yet.

Should maybe use him as a number as theres no-one else can reach the high balls or hold it up.

Away on loan to Dunfermline until January

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)