+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most influential loan players

Jeff King, came from Derby in the early 70’s. I might have “misremembered” but I’m sure we won every game when he was with us.

Steve Finnan was a pretty good loan signing. Did any others become a European Champion? I was also going to mention Guy Branston as our worst loan signing, but when I checked his record, it looks like he was a permanent signing.

Ian Richardson. Obviously we signed him permanently after. Club legend.

We seem to have had a few useful loanees from Birmingham City over the years. But one of the ones I was most excited about was Ricky Otto. Unfortunately he didn't do much in a Notts shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Steve Finnan was a pretty good loan signing. Did any others become a European Champion? I was also going to mention Guy Branston as our worst loan signing, but when I checked his record, it looks like he was a permanent signing.
    We actually signed Finnan permanently I think, was it from Birmingham? Was gutted when we sold him to Fulham, one of my favourite Notts players…think we had him about the same time we had Steve Nicol!

Who remembers the first ever player to play for Notts on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Who remembers the first ever player to play for Notts on loan.
    First one I can remember is Barry Butlin. Probably not the first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    First one I can remember is Barry Butlin. Probably not the first though.
    Butlin was the 2nd I think, definitely not the 1st.

Andrew Wilson played one game on loan from Rotherham in August 1968. Big Les would probably remember him, being a team mate at both clubs presumably.

After Butlin we had John Hulme from Bolton Spring 1972. Then the aforementioned Jeff King early 1976 closely followed by Alan Birchenall.

I think there was at least one player who came on loan and didn't play during that time. Apparently we tried to get Bobby Svarc in on loan from Leicester in August 1967, a year before Andrew Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    We actually signed Finnan permanently I think, was it from Birmingham? Was gutted when we sold him to Fulham, one of my favourite Notts players…think we had him about the same time we had Steve Nicol!
    He was on loan first, then we made it permanent. He was fantastic for us especially on that initial loan, a genuine young exciting talent and he was ours.

Alan Judge deserves a mention - he’s another who eventually signed permanently, though I think he went back to Blackburn for a bit when the loan ended.

Remember full back Paul Boertin signing from Derby early-mid 2000s. Looked immense for 2 games then got injured for rest of season never to be seen again.
    What about Tony Garcia? I've got it in my head that we had him on loan from Sheff U, then he was allowed to play in FA Cup tie versus them and he missed a couple of one on ones in extra time as we lost 4-3 (3-1 up with a minute of normal time left too iirc). The loan thing is probably nonsense that I've made up over time though

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast