+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most influential loan players

This has had me wondering.....who was Notts first ever loanee? And who was the first Notts player ever to be loaned out? Not counting wartime guest appearances, that is.

It seems that the rule change to allow loans was made in 1966, with a restriction of two per season.

Possible contenders for being the first loanee are John Hulme, a defender who made a few appearances in the early 70s, possibly on loan from Bolton, and a winger called Andy Wilson, who I think might have been on loan from Rotherham. But I’m not sure about either of those, and there may have been others.

Colin Foster had a good loan spell whilst here in the mid 90s

I was going to say Colin Foster - We went on quite a run when he came if I recall correctly - Shame we couldn't get him permanently as he may have been the catalyst to get us up that year..

Yeah he was a cut above , never remember a more dominate centre half during all my years at Meadow Lane albeit for a very short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Glen (sign him up sign him up) Roeder was just a very good player. who we should have signed but ………,.,

Brett (one greedy b@stard) Angell was also a great loan signing and could have a great signing but ………
    Angell leaving meant Stallard got a look in, I know who I preferred!

Agree Laddo - Just missing out that year on playoffs and the decline since shows what a sliding doors moment that was..

Colin Foster ended up going to Watford for £100,000 after his loan spell ended. Can't remember who we spent our next 100k on, I don't think I can bear to look. Somebody please tell me it wasn't Nigel Jemson.

Glad so many others can remember back nearly 20 years to a guy who played under a dozen games and still fondly recall how blooming good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Colin Foster ended up going to Watford for £100,000 after his loan spell ended. Can't remember who we spent our next 100k on, I don't think I can bear to look. Somebody please tell me it wasn't Nigel Jemson.
    It might have been Jemson (and his fee was a lot more than £100,000 if I remember correctly). But I think we also spent more than £100,000 on Michael Emenalo, and he came before Jemson. Technically he was a free transfer (from Trier?) but I recall that big money was spent on wages and signing on fees etc).

Either way we’d have been much better off signing Foster.

Colin Calderwood & Geoff Thomas

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast