+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulham - v - Leeds United ***EFL 3rd Round***Matchday Thread***

Quote Originally Posted by george_kaplan View Post
    Great for me to hear reports from the fans who were at games, cheers.

At the end of the day we won and penalties to boot, by the look on the players faces they are well pleased, I bet a good dressing room after game with lots of ribbing! Lots of talking points but at last a kickstart (fingers crossed).
    Now to the business of our next fixture, another battle for us … great. Cup or not I would much rather go into this next game with a win rather then us being knocked out. Surely the players young and seasoned alike will be on a bit of a high.
    No worries - strangely for once I felt we would go through on penalties - they had missed some very good chances in normal time. Some excellent pens from us loved the JG have it smash.

Would post some photos but for some reason won’t let me paste them into the thread

Oh forgot to say Phillips also looks very good at CB strolled through the game and showed how good he is.
    Last edited by hopelesslyoptimistic; 22-09-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    We have another round yet before we can forget about it - suggest we play a similar strength team next round and give opportunities whilst others are rested - surprised Meslier played but as well he did
    I was implying we can forget about it for the time being - a home draw next please thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Just back from the game.

Phillips found the game very easy at CB and looked after Cresswell.

Cresswell was immense and got better as the game went on. Reads the game well, always showing for the ball and good with it and distributing. He will be at CB for years for us. Coped with all the physicality of Fulham all game.

Rodrigo played well once Robert’s went off and looked the best player on the pitch.

JG moved well and ran well, great pressing but we kept hitting high balls to him for some reason.

Dallas not at the races today and Shackleton played better in mid than RB
    Cheers for the info hopey lad.

Good to hear the young lads did well especially Cresswell..think he will be needed in the league sooner rather than later.

What were your opinions on Roberts?...would dearly love him to be a success but sadly I just don't think he has got what it takes even though he does show flashes now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Cheers for the info hopey lad.

Good to hear the young lads did well especially Cresswell..think he will be needed in the league sooner rather than later.

What were your opinions on Roberts?...would dearly love him to be a success but sadly I just don't think he has got what it takes even though he does show flashes now and again.
    Hmmmn on Robert’s - whom I have defended an awful lot - last night was his chance to shine and playing up top he just wasn’t good enough with or without the ball. He occasionally swapped with Rodrigo and looked a bit better in midfield but still not good enough against a championship side (albeit a good one) - Rodrigo played noticeably better when he went off.

Not sure if he had an off night but coming around to the conclusion that he won’t improve quickly enough given the lack of depth in the squad and some of the youngsters should leap frog him. If we can get decent money I think we should cash in.

Joffy G looked incredibly good and you could see he was bursting to do well. Has pace and made intelligent runs. Unfortunately, by the time he came on we were hitting too many high long balls which meant he was getting clattered by their 6’3 CB. To be fair JG just got up and came back for more. You just knew from his body language that he was going to nail his penalty - he looks like he belongs at this level.

Mcinstry did okay in his cameo and took his pen very calmly.

Big plus was Cresswell - believe the hype - the kid has everything and I suspect will replace Cooper long term as CB and captain. He was bossing Dallas and Klich around which was good and funny to see.

Joffy G only got about 25 mins but showed enough in that to realise he is already very ready for this level. He got the biggest cheer of the night when he came on.

Summerville did okay without much service and he rides challenges rather than going down. Players were willing to pass him the ball which I think always says a lot.

Shackleton for me looked better in CM than at RB and did well - love his energy.

The fear is we don’t have a schemer/controller in midfield who can dictate and unlock games in the way Siaz and Pablo could. Rodrigo is very good but I think plays better playing off someone like that. Maybe they are waiting on Charlie Allen and Bate to develop more.

Lots of positives and expect to see a lot more of the youngsters.

Was funny being sat in front of the press box.
    Chatted to Phil Hay at HT and did a discrete Leeds salute to Dorigo and Bryn Law on the way back to my seat - they both laughed and I think Bryn was doing commentary so may have made him stumble on his words ….

Fulham is a great club with a great ground - their new stand looks like it will be incredible when it is finally finished - Spurs stadium impressive. I just feel a little for the kids that go and support them as the atmosphere is very genteel and not very loud - I guess as a lot of Neutrals or away fans end up in the home stands and it is also in the heart of West London affluence.

As I suggested the other day, a morale boosting victory. which included a few under 23's being blooded, and no more injuries would be a great result, apart from Dallas injury I got my wish! TBH don't think Dallas has been anywhere near last seasons best yet this time out, and actully think a break will do him good - and give Shacks a couple of starts - hopefully in midfield as opposed to at right back - I think he has looked very solid and energetic in the midfield roles he has had last couple of games.

Have to say I too give in on Roberts now, just not good enough at this level, threatens to do something but his final ball, Shooting, and decision making is woeful - and he has had plenty of chances to shine but taken none of them.

I was also pleased to see Creswell and Sumerville start, and Gelhardt and McKinstry played a part in the win - including the penalties they took, so how certain people can continue to moan about their being put under undue pressure being blooded as they where is beyond me - Liverpool, Arsenal, City, et al - ALL DO THE EXACT SAME THING - blood the kids in cup competitions to see how they fair before chucking them into the top flight games - They got game time, came through [Creswell especisaly so] with flying colours, and put themselvers into the frame for league game time [As Struijk did last season] and with only Creswell, Shacks and Meslier left to take spot kicks - who else would have taken them?? so complaining that we never play the youth, then complaining when we do about sums a certain poster up - switches his argument to suit the complaint he wants to make.

This weekend if say Bamford, Dallas, Ayling and Llorrente aren't fit, maybe there will be opportunities for Shackleton, Sumerville, Creswell, and maybe Gelhardt - either way, It was a good morale boosting result and cannot really understand anyone complaining, after all - ANYONE can miss a penalty - or indeed a shot - it's not for lack of trying!

Roll on the weekend - see if we can't get something off West Ham this season in front of a packed ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    As I suggested the other day, a morale boosting victory. which included a few under 23's being blooded, and no more injuries would be a great result, apart from Dallas injury I got my wish! TBH don't think Dallas has been anywhere near last seasons best yet this time out, and actully think a break will do him good - and give Shacks a couple of starts - hopefully in midfield as opposed to at right back - I think he has looked very solid and energetic in the midfield roles he has had last couple of games.

Have to say I too give in on Roberts now, just not good enough at this level, threatens to do something but his final ball, Shooting, and decision making is woeful - and he has had plenty of chances to shine but taken none of them.

I was also pleased to see Creswell and Sumerville start, and Gelhardt and McKinstry played a part in the win - including the penalties they took, so how certain people can continue to moan about their being put under undue pressure being blooded as they where is beyond me - Liverpool, Arsenal, City, et al - ALL DO THE EXACT SAME THING - blood the kids in cup competitions to see how they fair before chucking them into the top flight games - They got game time, came through [Creswell especisaly so] with flying colours, and put themselvers into the frame for league game time [As Struijk did last season] and with only Creswell, Shacks and Meslier left to take spot kicks - who else would have taken them?? so complaining that we never play the youth, then complaining when we do about sums a certain poster up - switches his argument to suit the complaint he wants to make.

This weekend if say Bamford, Dallas, Ayling and Llorrente aren't fit, maybe there will be opportunities for Shackleton, Sumerville, Creswell, and maybe Gelhardt - either way, It was a good morale boosting result and cannot really understand anyone complaining, after all - ANYONE can miss a penalty - or indeed a shot - it's not for lack of trying!

Roll on the weekend - see if we can't get something off West Ham this season in front of a packed ER.
    You just can't hold it together, can you! Having a dig at someone even though your message was going good and honest moments.
    Let me quote you on something that individual has been saying all along since you brought it up. How many f injuries do we have? How many players could have played? How big a squad do we have? Finally who else could he have played? You very well know that if we had a full team those kids would not have seen the light of day just as when it happens with Meslier And Pat.
    Get yourself together Lad stop attacking people because you are a better person looking at the most part of that post.
    Cheers some flog from ozland.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    You just can't hold it together, can you! Having a dig at someone even though your message was going good and honest moments.
    Let me quote you on something that individual has been saying all along since you brought it up. How many f injuries do we have? How many players could have played? How big a squad do we have? Finally who else could he have played? You very well know that if we had a full team those kids would not have seen the light of day just as when it happens with Meslier And Pat.
    Get yourself together Lad stop attacking people because you are a better person looking at the most part of that post.
    Cheers some flog from ozland.
    Can partially understand what you are saying regarding the youngsters not playing if we had our full regular squad....but were Bamford, Harrison and Klich all injured as well as our defenders??? Or were they deliberately rested and the kids given an opportunity? 😮

I don’t agree from last seasons experience that those kids wouldn’t have played but we will never know Oz - what we do know is that in the last few weeks a few have made debuts. Shackleton has also demonstrated he is good enough.

Shackleton and Summerville must now be pushing for regular game time. Cresswell and JG have show they can do it but can they do it regularly - the interesting thing will be if they can jump ahead of Roberts or others in the pecking order - I would play Shackleton or Gelhardt ahead of Roberts but then again I am Bielsa.

I think Tichi made a valid comment to the doomster and gloomster - we first had the I GUARANTEE none will see first team action and then when they do - they shouldn’t take penalties - why not - great test of character and they all passed with flying colours. Tichi was just pointing out these points and the classic tactic of damn my first point I can’t defend what other crack can I have at Leeds.

It’s not being harsh or mean it’s just so draining when we are called **** WITS or idiots or something else for daring to disagree.

Great result last night and WTF has to find something to have a go about. Fulham at home are a test and we passed it with a team scattered with youth.

So many highs from last night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Can partially understand what you are saying regarding the youngsters not playing if we had our full regular squad....but were Bamford, Harrison and Klich all injured as well as our defenders??? Or were they deliberately rested and the kids given an opportunity? ��
    Harrison Covid could not play Bamf injured Klitch was splaying came off 70th minute. With Klitch he seems to be out of favour with a full team he prefers to play Rod and Roberts in front of him

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)