+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulham - v - Leeds United ***EFL 3rd Round***Matchday Thread***

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    You misread what I posted. It absolutely was the senior players responsibility to take and convert their penalty, they didn't. My criticism is aimed at those who missed, but more particularly at whoever (presumably Bielsa, but whoever), gave the first sudden death penalty to an U23 grad who has played less than 15 minutes of 1st team time since joining the club, and followed with another who has played not much more. THAT is and was a disgraceful and totally irresponsible action, given the possible consequences to either or both had they missed, clear now?
    There was really only Shakleton and Cresswell left to choose from. What other experienced players did you want to take them? I think you are finding something to complain about...probably out of habit! And helping to cover the fact that no younger players were going to get a start you said recently. And dont use the excuse of only happening because of injuries, suspensions...as Summerville and Gelhardt play at the end of the park where we haven't got those issues at present. 😮

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    I suspect Bielsa was hoping it wouldn't come to them taking one; f they had taken the first couple the pressure would still have been theree; bottom line they delivered so perhaps he knew to have faith in them - in reality we should have done a Brentford on them
    Faith enough to put them in a position where success or failure on the basis of one kick of the ball would take us through to the next round of a cup competition we have been knocked out of at this stage more than ANY club, but not enough to play them in a 1st team capacity in positions where they belong (and where that was shown tonight by the likes of Cresswell and Shackleton)? I think not.

The sequence of penalty takers was as clear an indication of a total lack of capability as the decision to start with Roberts "leading the line" and retaining some misplaced belief in Rodrigos ability to actually score.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    You misread what I posted. It absolutely was the senior players responsibility to take and convert their penalty, they didn't. My criticism is aimed at those who missed, but more particularly at whoever (presumably Bielsa, but whoever), gave the first sudden death penalty to an U23 grad who has played less than 15 minutes of 1st team time since joining the club, and followed with another who has played not much more. THAT is and was a disgraceful and totally irresponsible action, given the possible consequences to either or both had they missed, clear now?
    "If they are good enough they are old enough", Except when it comes to penalties?
    The first 5 penalties were all taken by regular seniors and the only ones not to take a penalty were Meslier, Shackleton and Cresswell, clearly the young lads wanted to take a pen and put their hands up to do so, that shows maturity and confidence. What was Bielsa to say sorry your too young to take a penalty.

Why criticise those that missed or who decided who takes them? Anyone can miss a penalty regardless of how long they are on the pitch or how old they are, a similar debate came up after the Euro's final and regardless of age those 3 that missed are professional footballers and paid handsomely to do so
    Last edited by LUFC76Cor; 21-09-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post
    Was watching on hesgoal on my phone in hotel room in blighty.....hence unable to address some of the 5hite directed my way. Yes, my bank account is bulging and I too experienced the ever changing lingo on the dodgy stream. Our finishing it unbefknlievable. Youngsters done well. Firpo is a ballroot. Lucky win, but nice to be on receiving end for a change. Rev is blitzed again and I'm still munching.
    Your still munching???

Munching on what???

Is Billy with you???

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    There was really only Shakleton and Cresswell left to choose from. What other experienced players did you want to take them? I think you are finding something to complain about...probably out of habit! And helping to cover the fact that no younger players were going to get a start you said recently. And dont use the excuse of only happening because of injuries, suspensions...as Summerville and Gelhardt play at the end of the park where we haven't got those issues at present. ��

And why would either of the players you mention not be deemed capable of taking a penalty in such circumstances, when a player with around 14 minutes TOTAL 1st team experience is?

I have siad a few times, in this thread, that I'm pleased (VERY) with how the young players held their nerve (when a few of the senior counterparts clearly didn't) and we are through to the next round. But consider what the reaction would have been if either had missed. How would the fans react (at ER and online)? Given we have been knocked out at this stage more than any club, the reaction might not be so euphoric as it is now, and then what for those players?

Load of guff spouted about looking after players mental and physical well being, sown to be such when young players are expected to shoulder the burden that their senior counterparts ought to have taken care of during normal time (when are we going to realise we paid £26m for a f0oking dud!!????)

You think I am "helping to cover the statement regarding "no younger players getting used""? Please do take that statement absolutely seriously, as I have absolute control over who will and won't be used, didn't you know that???? I was labouring under the clear misconception that you had some grey matter between your ears, I was obviously mistaken (and as for Summerville and Gelhardt playing in certain positions where injuries aren't an issue, probably true, just a pity that those who were playing in those positions this evening and who aren't (currently) injured couldn't hot a barn door from 5 yards with a sawn-off shotgun, otherwise all is absolutely peachy!).

Few points:
    1. We started with Meslier, Dallas, firpo, Phillips, Rodrigo. Thats 5 regular 1st team players. Then there is klich and James who must be considered 1st team members. Thats 7 1st team players, and we still couldn't get the job done in 90 min. Not good.
    2. Sam Greenwood is the absolute best deadball striker in the U23s yet was never on the field. Very puzzled.
    3. Creswell was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Few points:
    1. We started with Meslier, Dallas, firpo, Phillips, Rodrigo. Thats 5 regular 1st team players. Then there is klich and James who must be considered 1st team members. Thats 7 1st team players, and we still couldn't get the job done in 90 min. Not good.
    2. Sam Greenwood is the absolute best deadball striker in the U23s yet was never on the field. Very puzzled.
    3. Creswell was decent.
    Fulham is in form. barring injury or collapse similar to us 3 years ago they will gain auto promotion.

even simpler.... that looked like a game between the 17th best team in English football and the 22nd. Both teams wanted it.

Ok ok it wasn't great but we can forget about this Comp now and concentrate on what really matters....THE LEAGUE!

Quote Originally Posted by LUFC76Cor View Post
    "If they are good enough they are old enough", Except when it comes to penalties?
    The first 5 penalties were all taken by regular seniors and the only ones not to take a penalty were Meslier, Shackleton and Cresswell, clearly the young lads wanted to take a pen and put their hands up to do so, that shows maturity and confidence. What was Bielsa to say sorry your too young to take a penalty.

Why criticise those that missed or who decided who takes them? Anyone can miss a penalty regardless of how long they are on the pitch or how old they are, a similar debate came up after the Euro's final and regardless of age those 3 that missed are professional footballers and paid handsomely to do so
    My issue, which clearly escapes the likes of you and Ozwhites, isn't about being good enough to play in the 1st team, I have commented frequently about the need to plan for their inclusion in 1st team games rather than do so when injury or suspension forces the clubs hand. I disagree, strongly, with those players being placed in a position of absolute criticality, with less than the time it takes Starbucks to make a latte having been spent on the 1st team playing field.

You comment from the favourable position of a supporter who supports the team that won, and did so because as you say, the young lads who came on at the sudden death stage held their nerve and performed much more creditably than their senior counterparts in the arguably less pressure part of the penalty competition, and the goalkeeper was up to the task of not only saving the opposition kick, but as a result taking us into the next round.

Consider what would have happened if either had missed (irrespective of whether they were willing to take the penalty in the first place) . We would all be understanding, the comments that the players received would be universally supportive, despite the fact that yet again we would have failed to reach the next round (moreso than any other club), the players would be appreciative of all the kind comments and solid, unwavering support they would get from fans near and far? What f00king universe do you occupy if you think that would be anywhere NEAR the truth? And the club apparently thought it worth taking the risk that we would have the same kind of fallout as the England players did.

I don't give a flying f00k if you think I'm trying to pick an argument, I know I'm not and never in a million years would I have asked (or accepted a volunteering effort from) two young lads who have shown courage and capability but who the club has seen little or no use for as yet, to take sudden death penalties in a cup competition this club has an undeniably woeful track record in.

End of for me, no further contribution on this subject and no reply to any replies, f00k it.
    Last edited by WTF11; 21-09-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Its time to move Raph inside and open up a space for Somerville/Harrison.

that's the most energy we've seen this season.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)