+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drastic measures - Koemans to Pique - Marcus to Appo

Drastic measures - Koemans to Pique - Marcus to Appo

I hate the idea of playing players out of position.
    For one thing it shows an unprepared ill equipped squad.

However.
    Morris laid up - for we don’t know how long.
    Obbi still not ready - for we don’t know how long.
    Sometimes desperation calls for desperate measures.

Last night Barcelona v Granada.
    If Koemans at Barcelona can push 6’4” Pique forward into the target striker role ….
    …… then why can’t Marcus at Barnsley push 6’6” Appo forward into the target striker role ???

Always liked Appo - tall - good header of the ball - quick feet.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 21-09-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Out of adversity comes opportunity

Don't forget the recruitment team brought in Devante Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Don't forget the recruitment team brought in Devante Cole.
    You are right & he should be given an opportunity to at least come off the bench , nothing wrong with the recruitment policy, the problem is how it is applied on a match day

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    You are right & he should be given an opportunity to at least come off the bench , nothing wrong with the recruitment policy, the problem is how it is applied on a match day
    Welcome Shadrack.

The statement that there is nothing wrong with the recruitment policy is contradicted by the fact that Devante Cole has been recruited. Even Rex can't find a role for him.

We disagree , I think by & large in recent times recruitment has improved & gone reasonably well , as fore Cole I repeat what I said earlier in that the player has had limited opportunity & that the problem might not be solely at his door, it might lie elsewhere but we all have different thoughts & me personally think that he is getting a raw deal compared to others .

The recruitment faults are---1. When they "push the boat out" and spend near/ over a million it goes spectacularly wrong--Thomas, Schmidt, Kane, Wilks, Thiam.
    -------------------2. Too few experienced players brought in as they make the difference--Sollbauer, Helik
    -------------------3 The target group of young players the results are about break even, for every "success" there is a dud eg Andersen and Diaby, Morris and Miller, Brittain and Ritzmaier The mistakes are quietly ushered away or sent on loan never to re-appear
    Last edited by SBRed48; 21-09-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    We disagree , I think by & large in recent times recruitment has improved & gone reasonably well , as fore Cole I repeat what I said earlier in that the player has had limited opportunity & that the problem might not be solely at his door, it might lie elsewhere but we all have different thoughts & me personally think that he is getting a raw deal compared to others .
    Agree regarding recruitment.
    I think our recruitment is fantastic.
    And so does most of the Championship clubs - as you can read articles from other clubs wondering how we keep unearthing these diamonds.

I’d guess that the Cole signing is a result of conversations between Ismael and the recruitment team.
    It’s looking like Ismael has requested more speed up front - as we were reliant on just one player with speed last season - Frieser
    Hence Cole and Leya signing.

Also Ismael requesting a replacement for Dike - hence Obbi.
    But - no one at the club seems to have calculated the risk of what happens if it takes Obbi some time to get up to Championship level ?
    We are then left with just Morris - and what happens if he gets suspended or worse still injured ?
    That single miscalculation has resulted in a calamitous start to this season.

I strongly believe that if Morris and Dike (or a decent replacement for Dike) were available for every match this season - then we would now be in the top 6.
    The defence and midfield is solid.
    Our recent poor forward play would have greatly improved if Morris + another target striker were involved - turning those draws into wins.

No wonder Ismael legged it from Barnsley at the first chance he got if speed merchants Cole and Iseka are the recruitment team's addition to speed king Freiser and Oulare is the replacement for Dike. I thought we were told we were signing Dike for around £1.5 million anyway ?
    Last edited by SBRed48; 21-09-2021 at 05:46 PM.

A think Morris has a deceptive turn of pace. Dunt get mi wrong he's no Martin Bullock but he's no slouch either.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast