+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Support vs Performance

I sit in the upper Kop and I can tell you it is very loud and vociferous. It does help if we have got something to be excited about though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I sit in the upper Kop and I can tell you it is very loud and vociferous. It does help if we have got something to be excited about though.
    Agree, I think we're doing ourselves down alot. I sat upper kop near the middle on Saturday and came with someone who goes to Leeds games who have some of the loudest fans in Europe and he said he thought it was loud and passionate especially in the second half. As soon as the team got going we did plus we were playing Maidenhead so no one to bounce back off. I guess it depends where you sit but as I say in the Kop especially when the team play well or there's abit of spice in the game like when it kicked off abit with their players on Saturday, we are loud. It would help if more than the Kop sung as well, we opened up part of the sirrel stand to home fans and had some decent away followings to come up against. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think our style of play is a big factor. The crowd are quick to respond when we play the fast attacking version, but it's hard to get enthused when you are mainly watching a constant stream of sideways and backwards passes between the defenders and the goalkeeper like we saw in the first half on Saturday. I know the best thing to do is to sing a bit louder, but human nature doesn't work like that.
    I think you have summed up the question accurately Elite. Any crowd needs to be stimulated by the action on the pitch. The support at Meadow Lane begins with a very positive attitude, and is quite vociferous. However, when we reach half time and not scored at home, and been subject to constant passing within our own half without making few, if any penetrating efforts against our opponents, the crowd are quietened and become frustrated. The Kop without doubt are outstanding in their vocal support, but even they need encouragement from the players.

I’ve sat further back in the Kop this season and it feels really loud when we get going. Having said that I’ve sat in the family stand before and, as obvious as it sounds, the noise from the Kop sounds nowhere near as impressive.
    One thing I’ve never understood is the atmosphere just prior to kick off can build up really well, but as soon as the game kicks off, it completely dies down.

I think for matches in non league with next to no away support, the atmosphere at home games is pretty good, certainly better than many years when we’ve been in the league. Only going to get better when we play the likes of Chesterfield, Grimsby and Wrexham.

I don’t get to many away games, but I’m always slightly disappointed at the noise we produce in those, considering some of the numbers. And we are a bit fannyish in the way nearly everyone sits down.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think for matches in non league with next to no away support, the atmosphere at home games is pretty good, certainly better than many years when we’ve been in the league. Only going to get better when we play the likes of Chesterfield, Grimsby and Wrexham.

I don’t get to many away games, but I’m always slightly disappointed at the noise we produce in those, considering some of the numbers. And we are a bit fannyish in the way nearly everyone sits down.
    Agreed BFP.

It's all well and good shouting - "your support is xxx sh$$" - to 800 Barnet fans, but let's see how loud we are against the 3 teams above and Stockport.

Those teams are the only team in that town so tend to have a large younger element. Notts have the scraps that don't follow the other lot. That isn't going to change.
    However, I am proud to be a Notts fan and wouldn't want a large yob element that cause trouble where ever they go - we all know who THEY are in the National League.

Anyone else agree that having such a large stadium works against us? Everyone is scattered about, and having a whole side of the ground almost empty for every match doesn't help. Not sure if it's changed recently but the away support in the JS tended to be corralled into the area nearest the family stand. That results in very little atmosphere being created by bantering opposing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Anyone else agree that having such a large stadium works against us? Everyone is scattered about, and having a whole side of the ground almost empty for every match doesn't help. Not sure if it's changed recently but the away support in the JS tended to be corralled into the area nearest the family stand. That results in very little atmosphere being created by bantering opposing fans.
    I've said before that the enemy fans ought to be in the corner of the JS stand nearer to the kop. The bellowing to and fro from fans is rarely serious enough for concern, is often humorous and would add to the atmosphere.

The ladies and kiddies in the Hayden Green stand wouldn't suffer red-faced embarrassment either.

I know, I hope for utopia.

We all hope that performance leads the support. But, there are some days when support needs to push the performance levels.

Of course, there are games it’s easier for the crowd to get involved. As others have stated, the likes of Wrexham, Chesterfield, Grimsby, Stockport etc. I expect/hope the crowd to be right behind the team from the 1st to the final whistle in these games.

The crowd at this level can make a massive difference, for better or worse. If I were the opposition I’d relish playing at Meadow Lane and try to get crowd on the back of the Notts players. You do that and your part way there, the home players become risk adverse due to fear of crowd reaction. I understand crowd frustrations, but does it help being vocally critical of your own team? No.

I recall our 2nd home game in the NL against Barnet. We didn’t have a full compliment of players and so had a couple of youngsters on the bench. One of them came on and attempted a cross, the ball skewed out for a goal kick. This old boy sat near me shouted ‘you bloody pillock’. That really helped the 17 year old making his debut.

The comments re age demographics is correct. My old man used to shout the classic ‘gerrit forward’ when any player held onto the ball for longer than 2 seconds. He wouldn’t have been able to cope with our current style of play.

Again, I know I hope for Utopia. But, it would be great to leave criticism at the entrance and create an atmosphere that encourages our team to be brave without fear.

Agree re allocating the section closest to the Kop in the JS stand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12