+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support vs Performance

Support vs Performance

Like the saying goes, what comes first…the chicken or the egg?

Putting results aside, our support in terms of volume, has been pretty flat at the home games in my opinion, and we were easily out sung by the Wealdstone fans that made the trip. I’m guilty of it too, and often only get going when the team do so first…but surely the players will often respond to a more boisterous, supportive, crowd.

Perhaps it is because so far we have played teams that we expect to beat. Is it more likely that our home support will be more vociferous from the off when we play the teams we expect more of a challenge from?

Either way, It would be nice to replicate that atmosphere we had against Chesterfield last season at every home game. What’s everyone else’s thoughts? In my head, why wait to be spurred into action when we can possibly raise performances by being that 12th man.

I wonder what the player and management think of our support.

Fantastic in terms of numbers , average in terms of vocal support is my guess.

The vocal support in the away ends at Barnet and Wrexham were impressive mind.

It is indeed a chicken and egg situation, really it should be the crowd who start it all off with great support from kick off for first 5/10 mins and then the players should provide the impetus after that. I believe it can make a huge difference to players energy levels and performance when vocally supported by the home crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Like the saying goes, what comes first…the chicken or the egg?

Putting results aside, our support in terms of volume, has been pretty flat at the home games in my opinion, and we were easily out sung by the Wealdstone fans that made the trip. I’m guilty of it too, and often only get going when the team do so first…but surely the players will often respond to a more boisterous, supportive, crowd.

Perhaps it is because so far we have played teams that we expect to beat. Is it more likely that our home support will be more vociferous from the off when we play the teams we expect more of a challenge from?

Either way, It would be nice to replicate that atmosphere we had against Chesterfield last season at every home game. What’s everyone else’s thoughts? In my head, why wait to be spurred into action when we can possibly raise performances by being that 12th man.

I wonder what the player and management think of our support.
    It's difficult to bellow your chants and songs with enthusiasm when you are getting more and more sad and gloomy by what you're watching.

I wasn't at last Saturday's game against Wealdstone but listening to the commentary on the wireless it sounded like just about every pass went astray and Wealdstone were unlucky not to have gone in at half-time 2-0 up. How can you generate a positive atmosphere when your players look like they've only just met each other? We saw such displays last season where most of the football was being played in Nott's half and to see it repeated this year is depressing.

We know we have the players to make a really good showing against lesser teams and to see miss-pass after miss-pass in your own half and to watch the enemy confidently gaining the upper hand is not entertaining. Start playing as if you want to win and the vocal support will certainly follow. We know we aren't going to score with every attack but at least attack with intent and then listen to the difference.

The descending quietness is not confined to Notts County's fans either, watch MOTD and you'll see it, or hear it, there too. It's the natural reaction of your average football fan to his team's poor performance.

I don't think you can force it. It's like expecting a child to look really pleased when their ancient Auntie so-and-so hands them a pitiful amount of pocket money because they're 40 years behind inflation. All disrespect to Wealdstone, you just aren't going to be up for a fixture like that until something happens in the game that makes you forget who you're playing.

Most songs won't make much difference to performances, it's that collective roar of "GGOOOOO OOONNNNNN!!!!!" that spurs them on, people actually being engaged in and reacting to the game. Songs are most effective when you've just scored and for bants with the opposition. The "Count-y Count-y" chant was a decent gee up but I cannot believe for a moment any Notts player has ever puffed his chest out with pride and got stuck in after hearing the "Wheelbarrow" sung at 0-0 against a Shrewsbury, a Halifax or a Colchester.

Entirely symptomatic of our slow start to games. If we get off the mark earlier then the crowd participation would be greater.

We don't have that boisterous/yob element that the likes of Wrexham, Grimsby and Stockport have which can make a difference.
    They tend to be louder and more passionate.

Having said that Wealdstone and Aldershot were loud throughout the game.

I'm sure it's our fan base demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    We don't have that boisterous/yob element that the likes of Wrexham, Grimsby and Stockport have which can make a difference.
    They tend to be louder and more passionate.

Having said that Wealdstone and Aldershot were loud throughout the game.

I'm sure it's our fan base demographic.
    Are you sure it's not because they had more to shout about?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Are you sure it's not because they had more to shout about?
    Pretty much yes, been home and away for 50 years, you just know the clubs that have vociferous fans.

Notts isn't one of them.

We travel fairly well for a club of our size but that vocal backing sometimes is very poor.

I think our style of play is a big factor. The crowd are quick to respond when we play the fast attacking version, but it's hard to get enthused when you are mainly watching a constant stream of sideways and backwards passes between the defenders and the goalkeeper like we saw in the first half on Saturday. I know the best thing to do is to sing a bit louder, but human nature doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    Pretty much yes, been home and away for 50 years, you just know the clubs that have vociferous fans.

Notts isn't one of them.

We travel fairly well for a club of our size but that vocal backing sometimes is very poor.
    100% the correct answer.

I've been in away ends of other teams and certain clubs even when losing or playing awful still get tremendous support.

We aren't one of those clubs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast