+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam Johnstone

Sam Johnstone

If Johnstone refuses to sign a contract and can leave on a free why are we playing him?

Surely signing a contract with a release clause in it should be a win win for both parties ie he could leave and the club receives compensation!

Bit of hardball needed in that if we meet him half way with getting a contract signed with a release clause otherwise he may not be number one! Johnstone certainly wouldn’t like it if he’s not in the shop window and playing regularly! Why do players get to call the shots!!

Don’t get me wrong he’s decent but we have back up and would swap him for a decent striker or someone like Okay back with the funds like a shot!!!

He’s the best keeper we have; playing Button or Palmer would make the team weaker, it’s weak enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    He’s the best keeper we have; playing Button or Palmer would make the team weaker, it’s weak enough already!

I agree but that's not my question Ketts! Surely a win win situation would be Johnstone signing a new contract with a release clause or wage negotiation so if he leaves it won't be on a free. At the moment no contract is signed - he could leave on a free and he's effectively putting himself in the shop window so you can guess what's the agent will be doing.

Negotiation and win win is a two way process - that's my point! He's staying with us at the moment because nobody else wanted him but many many will on a free!

PS - yes will know it's our clubs fault blah blah but again that's not the question or solution either!

Bomb him out like pereira was what was it not committed to the club

I’d have Button in ahead of Johnstone anyhow as he is a better keeper and a more calming influence on the defence

Quote Originally Posted by viaductbaggies View Post
    Bomb him out like pereira was what was it not committed to the club

I’d have Button in ahead of Johnstone anyhow as he is a better keeper and a more calming influence on the defence

I would be a b astard in this situation to stop him leaving on a free! Sign a contract with a release clause and wage negotiation if promoted which is a win win in my eyes or no guarantees of a number 1 place each week! So should we give him the cake to eat - no contract because it suits him for more clubs to grab him on a free and in the shop window waiting for someone to swoop.

As a professional buyer myself - sadly there are two parties who need to benefit and not one!

Sadly we're in a no win with Johnstone unless he signs. He'll get a mega deal next year if there is no transfer fee associated with his deal as that money can then be given to him either through wages or a signing on fee. His agent will also get a cut of that. A release fee will remove that advantage for him and his agent will know this.

The best we can do is persuade him to stay and offer a major pay rise on the basis that we get into the prem.

Agreed a pay rise for promotion and a get out fee for championship. But when we think of it he will command a large signing on fee if he does leave and could go to someone like Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Sadly we're in a no win with Johnstone unless he signs. He'll get a mega deal next year if there is no transfer fee associated with his deal as that money can then be given to him either through wages or a signing on fee. His agent will also get a cut of that. A release fee will remove that advantage for him and his agent will know this.

The best we can do is persuade him to stay and offer a major pay rise on the basis that we get into the prem.

So on the basis he does not want to sign because he will know he will be on a free attracting more offers what would he say if:

Sign the contract with release clause and wage renegotiation if promoted or we can't guarantee you will be our number 1 and play? Me thinks he will sign and want to stay in the shop window. He can't have his cake and eat it we we should be fair as suggested but play hardball!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    So on the basis he does not want to sign because he will know he will be on a free attracting more offers what would he say if:

Sign the contract with release clause and wage renegotiation if promoted or we can't guarantee you will be our number 1 and play? Me thinks he will sign and want to stay in the shop window. He can't have his cake and eat it we we should be fair as suggested but play hardball!
    Yeah I get the argument of not playing him. There are other lads that could be given a chance. The other side of this is that he cost us £6.5m which is just over £1.5m per season over his 4 year deal. We've paid for that contract and the wages. If you freeze him out, you just lose him and we don't get much value out of the deal we struck.

I'm really not sure on Button. There's a massive difference between Johnstone and Button both in quality and mentality. Botton has resigned himself to being a number two at the last few clubs he's been at. That can't be a good mentality for a goalkeeper.

Let’s be real here, Johnstone is the best keeper at the club and for me is a mile ahead of Button, re the contract situation he is in his last year and it is his choice whether he stays or goes at the end of the season, he hasn’t thrown his toys out of the pram at not moving over the summer and has played well, it is in his interest to move to and play at a higher level, he is a solid pro and if he does go I will be sad at loosing him but understand why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)