+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Safe standing at the Lane?

Yes from me used to love it when you could walk to the other end at halftime to get behind the goal Notts were attacking.Of course, those days are gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Yes from me used to love it when you could walk to the other end at halftime to get behind the goal Notts were attacking.Of course, those days are gone forever.
    Me too! 3 shillings (15p)to get in the kop end for the first half then 6d (2 1/2p) to get in the family stand, there was a bloke stood there collecting the tanners in his hands, then into his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Yeah, very true.
    I think it's mainly nostalgia behind this and I do feel sorry for the younger fans who won't have those experiences, but times change and seating was brought in for many good reasons, which still apply

My memories are mixing with away fans in the Kop, pre-segregation, whole decades of standing on the County Road...
    Being in big (dangerous) crushes at the Stretford End and the Anfield Kop, celebrating that 0-2 win at the Radcliffe Road enclosure, The Kippax, The Shed, North Bank, in with the Millwall fans at the Cold Blow Lane end. Being crushed, literally carried away by a crowd, standing in piss, being pissed on... let's just enjoy our seats!

We went on the coach to Villa v Notts and were pelted with milk bottles and parking cones in the streets leading to the ground, as this was totally ignored by the police went into a pub called The Holt not knowing it would be full of Villa fans. We tried to hide our black and white scarves but they had already spotted us. No trouble at all, just friendly banter.

We didn't need tickets for the game so just paid and went in the nearest turnstiles and entered into the middle of the Holt End - gasp! Shock! Horror! If you've either been there or seen it on the telly you will see an entrance smack bang in the middle of steep terracing crowded with about a million Villa fans, we hurriedly exited and were allowed seats at the side.

After that little adventure we made sure we found where the safe seating was before we went to other grounds. Chelsea, Bradford, Man. City, never again, it's like going to the zoo.

April 1979, my dad and I were late getting to Sheffield Utd game so dived into the nearest turnstile. A bad decision we were already at least a couple of goals down and we entered a bear pit of horrible home supporters in the home end. Pushed and shoved throughout our scarves quickly departed and we watched in silence as we were demolished I think 5 - 1 - we couldn’t even celebrate our goal. I have never liked Utd since then.

Seating for me (but I am old).

It's a no from me. I just don't think it's needed.

There's a lot who would like it, but let's face it, when you look at the Prem games on the TV most seem to be standing anyway.

Don't think the idea of doing it in the FS would be a good idea.

I think difficulties might come if you had the situation where some was safe standing and that area then got full - I can't imagine that others who wanted to stand would be happy with having to sit, so they would probably stand anyway.

How many would you say stand at ML already?

Stewarding can't be easy - mind - I looked at the video on here from the Macclesfield game and the stewards just stand watching for much of it.

I would agree about the FS if it was to remain the FS but how many actually use it & couldn't they be moved to the JS ? most of the fans who seem to want standing have probably never experienced it but I can assure them that unless they are very tall the view is much better when seated. Having said that for some the atmosphere seems more important than actually watching the game & I think we are seeing a rise in the numbers of large flags being waved at some grounds, obviously copying the "Ultras" seen at many European grounds, how you can watch a match with one of these in front of you I don't know.

I think some people are confusing safe standing with what it was like to watch a game on a terrace 30-40 years ago. As a youngster I used to love the hustle and bustle of being crammed together on a terrace and the fun you had when there was a surge and you could basically just lift your feet off the ground and be transported from the top to the bottom of a stand in a matter of seconds.

Safe standing keeps a safe space between fans either side and front and back and whilst it sounds like it would be good I'm not sure it will come close to replicating standing on old terraces.

It was all about the atmosphere and experience for me back then, nowadays I sometimes struggle to get to my feet to celebrate a goal never mind stand and watch a whole game.

Rather they spend the same amount of money this would cost on the playing squad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234