+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Patterson

Anthony Patterson

Rumour from Alan Nixon on twitter is that we after after signing Anthony Patterson from Sunderland on loan. He's a goal keeper, is Slocombe injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Rumour from Alan Nixon on twitter is that we after after signing Anthony Patterson from Sunderland on loan. He's a goal keeper, is Slocombe injured?

Hmmmmmmmmm,

https://the72.co.uk/251204/sunderlan...ounty-on-loan/

Quote from the Nixon article: "He needs to be playing every week and Sunderland can’t offer him that right now."

Apparently we can? It seems doubtful that he's been offered a bench seat, though nothing should change the need to compete for places in the starting XI. It's rarely good when a position is uncontested.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Quote from the Nixon article: "He needs to be playing every week and Sunderland can’t offer him that right now."

Apparently we can? It seems doubtful that he's been offered a bench seat, though nothing should change the need to compete for places in the starting XI. It's rarely good when a position is uncontested.
    I agree, but with the exception of goalkeepers. The goalkeeping position is a bit of a protected one. If the keeper is good he tends to keep his place regardless.
    I will use Jordan Pickford as an example. He made numerous errors for Everton last season, which led to him being slammed in the press and for people calling for England to change. Everton ‘rested’ him for a game or 2 as Pickford searched for renewed confidence and then bought him back. Southgate didn’t flinch.
    I think whilst keepers train well and continue to have self belief they keep their place.
    I think Slocombe has had a rough ride with a few. He is a top keeper for our level. Yes he has made mistakes. Tell me a player in a Notts shirt who hasn’t.

When managers and coaches talk about competition for places, it’s more to do with pushing each other on the training ground. Brookes is still training at Notts. Kean trains at Notts.

So unless Slocombe is injured or shagged IB’s wife. He will start.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post

He could certainly be bought in as competition for Sloco but what chance does he have of starting a game, (barring injury), or even being on the bench, very small, IMHAHO.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    He could certainly be bought in as competition for Sloco but what chance does he have of starting a game, (barring injury), or even being on the bench, very small, IMHAHO.
    I think Sam took a knock in training.

Potentially new keeper and CB tomorrow, not ideal. Best of luck to them.

There was an interesting interview with Slocombe after the Wealdstone game when he talked about not being happy with us being so expansive. He wasn’t overly critical but said it made things difficult for him.

Hopefully it’s just a knock and precautionary rather than him making comments. I really don’t think it’s the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    There was an interesting interview with Slocombe after the Wealdstone game when he talked about not being happy with us being so expansive. He wasn’t overly critical but said it made things difficult for him.

Hopefully it’s just a knock and precautionary rather than him making comments. I really don’t think it’s the latter.
    I think he was just being a very honest, as a keeper he will want things tight in front of him in order to give him the best chance of keeping a clean sheet as that's every keepers ultimate aim every game and what they pride themselves on.

Some of the comments early season were absolutely ridiculous, how many mistakes has he made over the 2 seasons with us? Usually I would say you do need need competition for places but after hearing him a couple of times I'm 100% confident this guy puts enough pressure on himself to be the best he can be.

Can only assume the rumours are either untrue as he won't even get on the bench nevermind in the starting line up or if Sam has got a know and I tend to think if it's just a couple of games we would/should go for an experienced keeper whos experienced enough just to get chucked in for a couple of games.

I think the assumption that because Slocombe hasn’t made many obvious cock ups then he’s a decent keeper is wrong. I think he’s an adequate keeper for this level, but his shot stopping abilities aren’t great and he doesn’t exactly command his penalty area.

He may have a knock but if there are better alternatives out there we should certainly be looking. Apparently Sunderland’s goalkeeping coach David Preece worked with IB at Ostersunds.

It's a blow, if true - Cameron, Rawlinson, Slocombe all at the same time! And Lacey still finding his match fitness....

Stand-ins would have to do the best they can - but we might have to rely on the attack for points at Alty. Don't think we can afford a game of them shooting blanks/not taking chances this time

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast