+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Living

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    These are very difficult times and whoever is in charge will face problems that we haven't had to face since the Second World War. Yes, Boris Johnson has made mistakes but if you think that the Labour Party would have done any better you are living in 'cloud cuckoo land'. Let's face it, they can't even sort out the problems within their own party let alone that of the country.
    That is true to some extent about the labour party but I doubt they would have given their mates contracts which has infuriated many in this country. I'm sure they'd also give more than the measly 1% rise to NHS staff who so deserve it. Yes a rise in tax, but it can be justified if it is directly to pay those staff which I think as a nation everyone recognised.

Awarding contracts for Track and Trace to Dido or whoever it was. I don't think you can compare these things to Second world war 'when under attack to defend' mentality to a virus. It is different circumstances. Especially when our governments are this age of information (or deception of information) can be seen what they are getting up to and blatantly lie about it. I actually feel for Boris in someways but he is weak and needs to think about the nation not his pals, he doesn't have a great team under him - Sunak is not PM material! I just don't see what the attraction is, when he holds the purse strings and the mess we are in. We need to stop asking 'well which party will do better?', it is simple this party need to get people who are up to the job. The saying goes, it isn't what you know it is who you know in the Tory party that gets you a high rank job.

taken from a mate:
    Name:  109291917_10220401453599089_5081746812275836206_n.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  63.9 KB

One thing that may improve things for some-if it ever gets passed-is Labour's proposal to cap foreign investment companies gobbling up UK properties as this impacts significantly on the housing market. Just because Corbyn advocated similar does not make such a policy wrong! Long overdue if it ever comes to fruition.

As for China, I dont know how much they directly impact on the Uk's economy in relation to Brexit or anything else, but I certainly think that the West is right to be worried about them (hence Aukus). Following the death pf Mao and the obvious economic failings of his Cultural Revolution, China began to embrace capitalism and following their acceptance into World Trade Organization in 2001 they rose to become the biggest trading nation in the world by 2018. Tbh, the West began to sew a lot of its own problems when Western companies began to outsource production there due to lower costs. Not only did this help China's unemployment figure but it also gave them access to new technologies which they promptly sought to adopt and led to them flooding western markets with their own cheaper goods. The real problem, however, came when Xia Jinping became President. Jinping has continually worked to increase not only his own dictatorial power in the country but also the country's geo-political power. The West missed a trick with Africa and China had invested $60 billion in the continent by 2015 and gained access to many key raw materials including cobalt and lithium. Naturally, China got the better end of any Sino-African agreements. I think many are right to worry about China as their actions re domestic freedoms, Hong Kong and the Muslim Uighurs and their posturing towards Taiwan should amply demonstrate. China's political, military and economic power should not be under-estimated-especially with Jinping in control.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    'Not Brexit related'

Holy Christ,
    The lack of workers picking our fruit and driving HGV trucks is definitely Brexit related. Exports decreasing to the EU is definitely Brexit related. Companies leaving the UK to set up in Europe is definitely Brexit related. There is no doubt we are worse off now because of Brexit.

Given the pandemic would have always happened whether we had voted remain or leave, would we be better off today had we voted remain?

Its a simple question Mick, and I think you know the answer.

I will answer that question! No! The country is a complete mess and yes much of it is Brexit related. Even the EU Nationals don't want to be here. Many Brits in EU Countries unless they had grounds for residency can't now only stay in EU Countries where they reside for more than 90 days - many are in tears including a few few I know! UK Travel Companies always employed UK reps to look after UK customers in all EU Countries - not any more as Travel Companies are now only allowed to recruit EU Nationals. The dreams of many of our youngsters 20-25 are broken who loved this work and can't even work from Uni breaks June to Sept!

Maybe all the illegals will pick the fruit as was always told there's no such thing as a free lunch! UK Nationals are too lazy to do it, and now EU Nationals can't afford to live here with the huge cost of living and the pittance we pay!

Amazon and Sports Direct need not worry though - these t ossers no doubt are looking for other loop holes to exploit! Personally, I refuse and always have done to shop from either!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)