+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Shortage of lorry drivers? What is to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    Other road users nights out no family time.

Traffic Jams.

Bosses pushing you more and more ..

Stagnate pay.

Really if lorry drivers was French farmers they would off strike years ago.

Train driver gers 40-70k

Tube driver gets 60-80k

Lorry driver gets 20-50k
    The only lorry drives earning upwards to 50k are Haz Chem and Petroleum drivers as they are driving potential dangerous loads. Don't know where you get your 20 -50 from as they are no way near that.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    easiest job ever sat on your arris most of the shift. Sat on your arris in a greasy spoon the rest of the shift.
    What would you know about driving 40 tonners?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    What would you know about driving 40 tonners?
    the,'ve past a test. just like I did for coaches and bus's. driving is driving. easier with 20 ton of food than 50 odd passengers.

I blame Dennis weaver…

Some good replies guys thanks. Interesting that it is a global thing not just a uk thing. Maybe some drivers have found other more worthwhile occupations during lockdown and have chosen not to return to Lorry driving since the ease up.

I know this lass called Cath, who would, for family reasons, love ...... and I mean love........, to be a long distance lorry driver

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    More people ordering on line leading to more deliveries has to be one of the causes but that's probably linked back to covid.

There's a few things that could be done to ease the crisis though I just don't think the govt has looked over the horizon enough and done anything about it until it's now upon us .
    Fast tracking tests
    Free or subsidised testing and training
    Recognising that delivery drives are rapidly become one of the key essential services
    Increasing t,s and c,s
    Relaxing some EU working visa rules

The govt is now talking about doing some of the above but it's after the horse has bolted. Poor management
    ....maybe getting some off the dole might help..............

She's been married 30 odd years Howdy so her hubby must be doing summat reight...

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    The only lorry drives earning upwards to 50k are Haz Chem and Petroleum drivers as they are driving potential dangerous loads. Don't know where you get your 20 -50 from as they are no way near that.
    28-39.
    average 32.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    the,'ve past a test. just like I did for coaches and bus's. driving is driving. easier with 20 ton of food than 50 odd passengers.
    Completely different driving manoeuvres for a rigid bodied bus to an articulated cab. As for 20 tonne, when was the last time you saw a bus/coach that weighed 40 tonne? That's unless CAM is on one carrying his wallet.
    Last edited by Brin; 24-09-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast